TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Why I won't preorder HD Directivo <<<

Pages (10): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
RANSOME is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 08:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for RANSOME Find more posts by RANSOME Add RANSOME to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RANSOME
Gadget boy

Why I won't preorder HD Directivo

Let's see how many people are thinking the way I am..I am going to wait for the HD Tivo's to be released to the B&M stores (Best Buy,CC etc).I don't think there will be a huge lag time from the preorders and that the deals will be much sweeter with discounts and promotions,I also think that other online sites will crush the currently offered prices.
I don't have any advance knowledge to back this up,this is just my take..

Last edited by RANSOME on 02-13-2004 at 10:48 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

litzdog911 is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 08:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for litzdog911 Find more posts by litzdog911 Add litzdog911 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
litzdog911
TiVo Forum Special Member

A lot will simply depend on how many HD DirecTivo's "flood" the retailers. If supplies are tight, then prices will stay high. But I, too, have decided not to preorder. It's certainly a safe bet that the prices won't go UP.

Sony SAT-A4 Receiver (Bedroom)
Sony SAT-B4 Receiver (Rec Room)
Sony KV-40XBR800 HDTV
Sony STR-DA4ES Dolby Digital Receiver

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

unixadm is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 12:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for unixadm Visit unixadm's homepage! Find more posts by unixadm Add unixadm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
unixadm

If you don't mind waiting, you are probably right.

Look at the HDVR2......that first came out with an MSRP of $299

We were able to pre-order at around $200 (and lower, in some cases) due to a Circuit City screw up.......

Now they are $99

Just like any new technology that has lots of anticipation surrounding it's release.....the price will start high, then gradually go down.

I personally don't expect the price to drop on these for a while....maybe a year or so.....it is too hot of an item right now....but, if you don't mind waiting a year, you could get some good deals.

My first T60 was $399, right when it came out........I bought 2 more at that price after I "saw the light" . I didn't want to wait for the price to drop.

"If you're dumb, surround yourself with smart people.
If you're smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you."

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RANSOME is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 12:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RANSOME Find more posts by RANSOME Add RANSOME to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RANSOME
Gadget boy

unixadm

quote:
I personally don't expect the price to drop on these for a while....maybe a year or so

No, I won't wait a year,I would rather pay full retail now and enjoy the unit.But I will wait a month...

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Alexander is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 01:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Alexander Visit Alexander's homepage! Find more posts by Alexander Add Alexander to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Alexander
Advanced Member

My opinion is that it will take at least several months for the price to drop significantly below $900.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BillF is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 05:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BillF Find more posts by BillF Add BillF to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BillF
Old Member

In the meantime................

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gromit is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 06:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gromit Find more posts by Gromit Add Gromit to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gromit
TiVo Forum Special Member

I can't see Best Buy having it for less than the $100 off that Value Electronics is offering. At least not within 1 month of the release. I may regret not waiting but probably not within a month or so of the release date.

When they are selling for $200 I'll be complaining that I paid $900 though.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dave3 is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 07:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dave3 Find more posts by dave3 Add dave3 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dave3
2 yr old twins, help

Can't wait. need hdtivo now. Must have now, will pay more to have now, must PVR my HD programing.

For those of you willing to wait, you will pay less than me, but I will have it while you wait and you will have to wait on line to get into my house to watch HD movies when ya want.HEHE

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jlstubbs is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 07:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jlstubbs Find more posts by jlstubbs Add jlstubbs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jlstubbs

of course this is only my take and people are free to spend their money how and when they choose. My only question is how much will you enjoy the unit before they are mainstream and at lower prices?

Technology is constantly changing and I think this is greatly shown in the home computing industry when it comes to cost/value. I purchased an iMac 17" 800 mHz a little over a year ago for $1999. Now you can get the same computer with a faster drive, faster processor (1.25 GHz), and other bells and whistles for $1799. Now they even have a 20" iMac for a few hundred more! Here is my question. What would I have done the past year without my iMac? Have I enjoyed it? You bet I have.

From what I have seen it looks like the computer example is a lot more dramatic than a HD-Tivo set. With the computer you have the products getting better (and I'm talking every couple of months, literally) and the prices dropping. One of the guys I spoke with at the Apple retail store in Atlanta had just bought a 17" iMac and 2 months later the 20" iMac showed up. He even works for the store! Talk about keeping a tight rap on things by Apple. And, the better/cheaper thing is even more so with the iPods. With a computer you basically have to get what makes you happy and then STOP LOOKING at what arrives a month later.

I don't see that to be the case with the HD Tivo units. I think the price drops will come before major changes to the equipment (HD Tivo's) instead of both happening at the same rate.

My wife and I sometimes sit back and laugh at what she paid when she bought me a nice DVD player back in just 1997.

I think all posts on this topic are correct and everyone gets the general idea. So I guess you have to ask yourself are you willing to spend a little more to have the extra enjoyment of HD Tivo. That is a decision to be made on an individual basis.

My 2 cents....

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 08:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

I've been holding out, but it is somewhat painful. To me, the biggest variable is competition from cable. A lot of cable companies are beginning to roll out HD-PVRs for $5-$10/month. While it may not be a TiVo, a LOT of people aren't going to realized that the TiVo is different, and those that do still may not feel that it's $1000 different. I think competition from cable may cause the price to drop faster than some think. I've been just as anxious as anyone else for this to come out, but the price right now is a big issue for me.

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jrock is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 08:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jrock Find more posts by jrock Add jrock to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jrock

Even if it where to drop to half price a few months after release I am happy I was one of the first to pre order and will be one of the first to receive it and play with it right away. I like to have the newest best toys on the market and don't mind paying for them. If your tight on money then it may be a good idea to sit back and wait and see what happens but if you got the money and want a new toy indulge yourself and have some fun!

-Joe

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

arangov is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 08:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for arangov Find more posts by arangov Add arangov to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
arangov

I will not pre-order because I won 600.00 in BB gift cards and will apply it towards the puchase of the box.

V

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scottchez is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 09:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for scottchez Find more posts by scottchez Add scottchez to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scottchez

I am not Pre-Ordering as I am hoping thay Match Dish Networks price on there HDTV DVR new customer price of $600, you never know. . . .

Kind of a gamble.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tfederov is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 09:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tfederov Find more posts by tfederov Add tfederov to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tfederov
M GO BLUE!!!

I can't pre-order. I tried going through Value Electronics but it's a no-go due to me being in the NRTC. I still recommend to anyone to go through these guys, Robert was awesome to work with. I've got my CC credit card in my pocket for the day it gets here.... 45 days or so and counting.......

DirecTV HR10-250
DirecTV HR10-250

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MCodanti is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 09:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MCodanti Find more posts by MCodanti Add MCodanti to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MCodanti

quote:
Originally posted by scottchez
I am not Pre-Ordering as I am hoping thay Match Dish Networks price on there HDTV DVR new customer price of $600, you never know. . . .

Kind of a gamble.

But Dish doesn't have a $600 new customer price... They have a $600 upgrade from buying the 811 with an HDTV.

$1000 for HDTV + 811
$1600 for HDTV + 921

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Darin is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 09:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Darin Visit Darin's homepage! Find more posts by Darin Add Darin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Darin
Way Left

No, someone called and confirmed that you can get the 921 alone for $600 (as an upgrade to the free 811).

"I don't know how many of you have ever run over a skunk with your car. I have many times, and I can tell you, the stink stays around for a long time. You can take the car through the wash, and it's still there. So the scent of this Super Bowl halftime show will long linger in the nostrils of America." - Senator Zell Miller - Republocrat - Georgia

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

whsbuss is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 09:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for whsbuss Find more posts by whsbuss Add whsbuss to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
whsbuss
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by RANSOME
unixadm

No, I won't wait a year,I would rather pay full retail now and enjoy the unit.But I will wait a month...

Well said. I too will wait about a month.

Pioneer DVR-520H
Sony NS775V DVD

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rob Helmerichs is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 09:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rob Helmerichs Visit Rob Helmerichs's homepage! Find more posts by Rob Helmerichs Add Rob Helmerichs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rob Helmerichs
Um...

I'm going to wait a few months just to see how they shake down in actual usage--that's a lot of money to pay for something that might cause a lot of problems.

Not saying it's gonna, just that it could; when I've seen how people in my situation are doing with it, then I'll decide.

(And if the price goes down, that will be a factor as well!)

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

notmestl is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 10:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for notmestl Find more posts by notmestl Add notmestl to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
notmestl
Advanced Member

I think that there would be two reasons I will wait. This would be for a Directv TV HDTivo unit.

#1 To see how the new units shake out, let you guys tell me what's going on under the hood.

#2 I will need a new dish and to run more cables from that dish, so the ideal thing would be a combo deal, dish with receiver. Likely? Probably not, but it would be nice...

HD DTivo HR10-250

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tbh999 is offline Old Post 02-13-2004 10:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tbh999 Visit tbh999's homepage! Find more posts by tbh999 Add tbh999 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tbh999

Unhappy

The #1 reason I wont be preordering!

I'm broke

Philips: DSR6000R01-3.1.0b-02-1-001 (109hr)
Hughes: HDVR2-3.1.1c-02-2-151 (35hr)
Mitsubishi: WS-65869 (65" HDTV)
McIntosh: MX-132 (V1.12)
McIntosh: MC-7106 (100w x 6)
McIntosh: MC-7100 (100w x 2)
Turttle Beach: AudioTron-100
Pioneer: CLD-D704 (Anyone Remember LaserDiscs)
Sony: DVP-S7700 (DVD)
Home Theater Master: MX-500

DirecTV Since 1997
Tivo Since 10/2000
Recruits to the Tevolution: 3

Cable companies are evil and must be dealt with

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged