TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> SOAK: want to move to canada What should I know <<<

Pages (4): [1] 2 3 4 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
warrenevans is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 11:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for warrenevans Find more posts by warrenevans Add warrenevans to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
warrenevans
Bring Back Firefly

SOAK: want to move to canada What should I know

I have been thinking about moving to Canada. What should I know before I go?

Click here to see my HALO 2 Stats

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

YamahaRick is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 11:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for YamahaRick Find more posts by YamahaRick Add YamahaRick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YamahaRick
TiVo Forum Special Member

Canada is not a state. It's a foreign country.

:-)

If you are thinking about permanent relocation, I am confident there are many issues that may come up.

My advice? Think long and hard before you go. The first thing I would investigate is their poor healthcare system. You may suffer many consequences by being a non-citizen. Not that healthcare is the greatest for their own citizens. That would be my first research project, if I were in your shoes.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

warrenevans is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 12:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for warrenevans Find more posts by warrenevans Add warrenevans to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
warrenevans
Bring Back Firefly

how would one go about Researching this topic. MovetoCanada.com?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Damian is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 12:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Damian Find more posts by Damian Add Damian to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Damian
Mmmm, pie!

quote:
Originally posted by warrenevans
how would one go about Researching this topic. MovetoCanada.com?

You could do something really crazy like typing 'immigrating to Canada' into Google. Then maybe even click on the second site. Maybe even the last one on the first page too.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

YamahaRick is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 12:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for YamahaRick Find more posts by YamahaRick Add YamahaRick to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YamahaRick

Here's a good start ...

http://www.acacanada.ca/

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dr_mal is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 12:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dr_mal Visit dr_mal's homepage! Find more posts by dr_mal Add dr_mal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr_mal
0 lost, 50 to go...

Besides the obvious -- no TiVo service available (there are ways to make your own guide data, a Google search for TiVo and Canada should help you out)

Canada's got higher income tax levels. Be prepared to see less after tax money on your paycheque.

IMHO the "issue" with French-Canadians is way overblown. You'll see French labeling on products outside of Quebec. You get used to reading every other line.

I've been away for close to a decade now, so I can't comment intelligently on the state of healthcare. If you're relocating there, getting the "free" (it's closer to a sliding-scale based on income) healthcare shouldn't be a problem. The bad news is that I remember waiting hours to get into a walk-in clinic for non-ER type injuries without an appointment. If it justifies going to an ER, the wait there can likely be measured in the hours as well. Having free access to healthcare has its downsides -- nobody thinks twice about going to the Doctor (or ER).

If you think you know cold, think again. Unless you're moving to a more temperate part of the country (like Vancouver or southern Ontario) expect to see -30C in the winter. Routinely. Go to a Canadian Eddie Bauer store and pick yourself up a nice goose-down parka. You'll thank me next January.

Most Canadians don't genuinely hate America or Americans. It's kind of like a little brother syndrome. It's fashionable to make fun of you, but when the chips are down, you're really our best friend. (Iraq was an anomoly based on the outgoing PM's personal life). So don't get too bent out of shape if the locals make fun of you a bit when you first arrive. It's all in good fun. Look, we know you could kick our butt with both arms tied behind your back. Humour's our only chance to even pretend to be equal. Let us have it.

Thanksgiving's in October, on a Monday, and it's only a 3 day weekend.

The day after Christmas is called Boxing Day, and it's a holiday.

Quit looking for the paper $1 and $2 bills. They turned to coin in 1987 and 1996 respectively.

A&W's Mozza Burger is my favourite. At least in Western Canada (where I'm from) A&W is as "big" as McDonald's or Wendy's down here. Mmmmm....All American Food... (of course, they don't use that slogan)

Let me know if you have any specific questions, but know that all I can really speak to is Western Canada. I think dajad and Francesco are from back East.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

warrenevans is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 12:09 PM
warrenevans
Bring Back Firefly

I did google move to canada

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mitchrc is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 12:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mitchrc Visit mitchrc's homepage! Find more posts by mitchrc Add mitchrc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mitchrc

It's cold, boring and if you get cancer there you will die.

42" Sony Grand Wega and HD TiVo

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

warrenevans is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 12:15 PM
warrenevans
Bring Back Firefly

if i get cancer there i will die. huh?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dr_mal is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 12:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dr_mal Visit dr_mal's homepage! Find more posts by dr_mal Add dr_mal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dr_mal
0 lost, 50 to go...

quote:
Originally posted by mitchrc
It's cold, boring and if you get cancer there you will die.

Yeah, that's pretty funny.

My Dad had cancer there. He's not dead yet.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mitchrc is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 12:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mitchrc Visit mitchrc's homepage! Find more posts by mitchrc Add mitchrc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mitchrc

quote:
Originally posted by dr_mal
Yeah, that's pretty funny.

My Dad had cancer there. He's not dead yet.

Glad to hear it. Are you a doctor btw?

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

warrenevans is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 12:39 PM
warrenevans
Bring Back Firefly

well I would rather be cold then Hot (I'm in Texas) I can always put on enough clothes to be warm but you can only take so many off.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dr_mal is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 12:43 PM
dr_mal
0 lost, 50 to go...

quote:
Glad to hear it. Are you a doctor btw?

Nope. Just an old nickname I've been using since high school. Maybe one day I'll get my PhD...

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mitchrc is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 12:44 PM
mitchrc

quote:
if i get cancer there i will die. huh?

Why do you want to move to Canada?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stargazer21 is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 12:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stargazer21 Find more posts by stargazer21 Add stargazer21 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stargazer21

quote:
Thanksgiving's in October, on a Monday, and it's only a 3 day weekend. The day after Christmas is called Boxing Day, and it's a holiday.

July 1st is Canada Day. I have no idea what it's for...but I celebrate it every year here in Texas.

Know that the Toronto Maple Leafs are evil, the Montreal Canadiens rock, and the Oilers are owned by the Dallas Stars.

Understand the greatness that is Tim Horton's coffee.

I hoping to also move to Canada someday..probably to retire. (And I'll be an RN by then, so I don't have to worry about healthcare. )

"...and jubulation ensued. And there's a lot of people here in Edmonton, heading to the exits with upside down smiles."

Razor, 1999 Quarterfinals

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mitchrc is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 12:48 PM
mitchrc

quote:
well I would rather be cold then Hot (I'm in Texas) I can always put on enough clothes to be warm but you can only take so many off.

True. Being a native Texan I know exactly where you're coming from. At least West Texas is dry. I will not visit the folks in Houston, except in the dead of winter.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

warrenevans is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 12:53 PM
warrenevans
Bring Back Firefly

I live in North East Texas right next to Caddo Lake. If I told you why I want/thinking about moving there you will all laugh and never look at this topic agian (nothing Illlegal ok)

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mitchrc is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 01:03 PM
mitchrc

In all seriousness, Canada is a beautiful place full of great people. They have some serious problems though, not least of which is the brain drain they live with since they share a border with a superpower.

I grew up in a small Texas town and when I was a teenager two Canadian doctors suddenly showed up in our town. I remember thinking they were traitors to their country. The reality was they were just trying to make a living, and were disaffected with Canada's health care system. It left a lasting impression, which is where my kneejerk reaction came from.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dr_mal is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 01:23 PM
dr_mal
0 lost, 50 to go...

quote:
I grew up in a small Texas town and when I was a teenager two Canadian doctors suddenly showed up in our town. I remember thinking they were traitors to their country. The reality was they were just trying to make a living, and were disaffected with Canada's health care system. It left a lasting impression, which is where my kneejerk reaction came from.

Yeah, they were probably upset that the government told them how much they could charge to perform each medical procedure. Since the government is everybody's HMO, they set the prices for docs to charge. Some doctors would rather set their own rates, and they move south. There are still plenty of doctors that love living in Canada and stay, despite the potential loss of income.

I used to think Canadians who moved to the States for more money were traitors, too. Then I became one. Seriously, the company that hired me down here gave me an out-of-college offer that, once the conversion was done from US into Canadian dollars, was double the offers I had in Calgary. I took a few milliseconds to reconsider my view

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JustAllie is offline Old Post 02-27-2004 06:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JustAllie Find more posts by JustAllie Add JustAllie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JustAllie
Back among the boxes

Make sure you can find a job up there. The economy in many parts of Canada is struggling these days.

I'd recommend Nova Scotia as a nice place to live up there. You can buy a house there free and clear for the equivalent of just the downpayment on a house in my part of the USA. Nova Scotia is lightly populated and friendly, and the lobster is cheap. But jobs are scarce.

The good side of the whole health care thing is that in Canada, if you lose your job, you don't lose your health insurance. The 40 million uninsured in the U.S. might prefer waiting for care in Canada to going bankrupt paying for care out of pocket down here. YMMV.

I second the recommendation for Tim Horton's coffee. Mmmmm....

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged