TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Advice before buying a tivo - can it do what i want <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
MichaelShanks is offline Old Post 03-03-2004 05:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MichaelShanks Find more posts by MichaelShanks Add MichaelShanks to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MichaelShanks

Advice before buying a tivo - can it do what i want

Hi guys, i've spent a while searching around but I still can't find 100% answers to find if tivo will do what I want and now i'm geting a migraine

Hacking is not a problem, I plan to install wireless and a 160gb drive into my tivo, i work with linux 18 hours a day also....

What I want to do though is....

1) Retrieve mp3s from my PC and store on my Tivo so I can play them on the tivo. I assume I can do this with an FTPd installed on the tivo. How would you then go about playing these files with the remote?

2) I would like to retrieve movie files from my windows PC and play them on my Tivo, again, is this a case of storing them with FTP? The file formats are divx, windows media.

3) I would like to take the tivo files from the tivo and burn them to DVD and play the tivo files on my PC.

4) Is it possible to setup tivo to browse a windows shared directory with the remote control so it will select a file and stream it over wireless or ethernet

I am grateful for any help you can give me, and excuse me for not finding the answers whilst searching but I did try .also what is the audio out like on the tivo?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Arcy is offline Old Post 03-03-2004 07:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Arcy Find more posts by Arcy Add Arcy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Arcy

You might want to ask the hacking questions in the TiVo Underground section. I don't think that the Series 2 TiVos are hackable, but they are the only ones you can run HMO on.

quote:
1) Retrieve mp3s from my PC and store on my Tivo so I can play them on the tivo. I assume I can do this with an FTPd installed on the tivo.
You can't do this. With HMO you can play mp3s published from a networked computer, but can't store them on the TiVo.

quote:
2) I would like to retrieve movie files from my windows PC and play them on my Tivo
You can't do that currently. TiVo has asked about this on a TiVoToGo survey, but I don't think it has been announced as going to happen.

quote:
3) I would like to take the tivo files from the tivo and burn them to DVD and play the tivo files on my PC.
Currently the only ways to do this is are with one of the integrated TiVo/DVD-Rs or by capturing and reencoding the analog output from the TiVo. This has been announced as the core of TiVoToGo, promised for Fall 2004.

quote:
4) Is it possible to setup tivo to browse a windows shared directory with the remote control so it will select a file and stream it over wireless or ethernet
HMO does this for music and pictures. The files have to be specifically published for TiVo, not just in a windows share. There are several applications which can do this.

--Rob

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ycrazyy is offline Old Post 03-03-2004 09:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ycrazyy Find more posts by ycrazyy Add ycrazyy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ycrazyy
Big Perm

Arcy is correct to a point, but not 100%....

As for playing mp3's and pictures on your TiVo, the HMO option (a seperate purchase of $99) will allow you to do this. As Arcy said, you have to run a program on your computer that specifically publishes these for your TiVo to see. You can have it see the computer at your store over the internet as well and stream these files.

As for the movie files, I do not believe that HMO currently supports this, but there are plugins that you can get for HMO that do allow you to do this as far as I know.

For video extraction, unfortunately you have to go out and find the 'forbidden forum' because it is not a topic that is allowed to be discussed here. There are ways to do it, other than buying the TiVo with integrated DVD-R though.

Question #4, just refer up a couple. Your TiVo will be able to see whatever you publish with the HMO software (there's a few options, search for JavaHMO which seems to be the software of choice). Hope this helps and enjoy your TiVo!

SA Series2 150hrs w/HMO
Hughes HDVR2(3) 80hrs w/4.0.1b and HMO
Samsung SIR-4040R 141hrs w/4.0.1b and HMO

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jonathan_S is offline Old Post 03-03-2004 10:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan_S Find more posts by Jonathan_S Add Jonathan_S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathan_S
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
The file formats are divx, windows media
This may be a problem. Even if you hack the tivo so that is can play back external video, the processor is not powerful by modern standards, and can't handle the load of real time video decoding. The tivo relies on a hardware MPEG-2 decoder for video playback. AFAIK this chip doesn't support divx or window media format, so the movies would need to be reencoded as MPEG-2 before the tivo would have the physical ability to play them.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

lazarus18 is offline Old Post 03-28-2004 04:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for lazarus18 Find more posts by lazarus18 Add lazarus18 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
lazarus18

I hacked my TiVo to try and do most of what you were talking about. It works, sort of. In the end I restored my old image and just got the HMO (I did keep a larger HD in there though). The HMO does the most important things I wanted (streaming my MP3s) and will soon allow for video extraction legally. My attempts at extraction worked, but it was a very complicated process, and sometimes getting the audio and video in sync was hard.

If playing video is important to you, your better bet by far would be to get an Xbox and hack that. There are numerous mod-chips that are easily installed and will let you put software on the Xbox that will let it play pretty much any kind of video file, etc. The processor in an Xbox is way more capable than the MIPS chip in a series 2 TiVo.

I went the Xbox hacking route after restoring my TiVo to legitimacy, and it's been a lot of fun and not hard. However, I still prefer the HMO on my TiVo for listening to music.

-Rob

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Zathrus is offline Old Post 03-29-2004 09:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Zathrus Find more posts by Zathrus Add Zathrus to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Zathrus

quote:
As for the movie files, I do not believe that HMO currently supports this, but there are plugins that you can get for HMO that do allow you to do this as far as I know.

No, there are no plugins to do this. I'm not up to date on the hacking scene (which is off this forum), but last I heard you couldn't reformat video files to TiVo files either.

It is possible to hack a S2, but it's pretty insanely difficult. Merely "working with Linux 18 hours a day" isn't sufficient qualifications.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged