TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> Why hack Tivo? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
scheinz is offline Old Post 03-12-2004 05:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for scheinz Find more posts by scheinz Add scheinz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scheinz

Why hack Tivo?

I am new to the foum. I followed directions and replaced my directv tivo with two 160 gig hardrives. It works great. I got so excited that I started looking through the tivo hacks to see if there was any neat stuff to do with my second tivo. I looked at networking and searched the forum and I could not find any information on what you can do with networking tivo. Is there a guide to why hack Tivo to see what is available?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TivoGeezer is offline Old Post 03-12-2004 05:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TivoGeezer Visit TivoGeezer's homepage! Find more posts by TivoGeezer Add TivoGeezer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TivoGeezer
Happy Geezer Year!

Here are some of the things I do with it. There are more which can be found in the "Underground" forum and on other websites easily found by searching.

1. Provide dual input processing for Cable and Cable w/ Box.
2. Create a daily email listing of coming conflicts, recordings, and expiring shows.
3. Schedule recordings over the web.
4. View lists of deleted shows and undelete them.
5. Get information on space used and free and the health of the disk drives.
6. "Soft" padding.
7. Other desirable functions which cannot be discussed in this forum.

One person's "quality TV" is another's "there's nothing on".

PM me your current email address for a Gmail invite.
Happy Tivo Owner since October, 2000
"I'm a sig-fodder whore." - scottjf8
"I'm a lazy asshat!" - montag
"For a small fee- I will be your own personal snipe" - scubagal
Don't be misled
Please don't ask about FSI or dual tuner SA TiVo!

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cachecard_user is offline Old Post 03-12-2004 08:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cachecard_user Find more posts by cachecard_user Add cachecard_user to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cachecard_user

there are really two snide answers:

1) why not
2a) because you can
2b) because it is there

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cojonesdetoro is offline Old Post 03-12-2004 09:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cojonesdetoro Find more posts by cojonesdetoro Add cojonesdetoro to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cojonesdetoro

quote:
Originally posted by TivoGeezer

7. Other desirable functions which cannot be discussed in this forum.

And #7 can be expanded into at least five more list items.

Here's a few others than CAN be discussed here:

Queue a list of recordings to play in order for archival to a DVD recorder*

List the local weather, with maps and 5 day forcasts on my Tivo screen

Edit out commercials with chunkedit.tcl (haven't quite gotten it working yet but I will in time)

Impress my friends (actually they're not all that impressed and just think I'm a geek)

* I believe that analog transfers are not considered subversive on this forum.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jonathan_S is offline Old Post 03-12-2004 11:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan_S Find more posts by Jonathan_S Add Jonathan_S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathan_S
TiVo Forum Special Member

Improve performance (Cachecard for Series 1)

Add additional padding options; more settings, negative padding.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Foos is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 12:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Foos Find more posts by Foos Add Foos to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Foos

quote:
Originally posted by cojonesdetoro
Queue a list of recordings to play in order for archival to a DVD recorder*

Really? How do you do this? I've never seen it... already got a CacheCard, so getting into the DTiVo via bash isn't a problem.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cojonesdetoro is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 02:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cojonesdetoro Find more posts by cojonesdetoro Add cojonesdetoro to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cojonesdetoro

look for merge.tcl

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jonathan_S is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 02:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan_S Find more posts by Jonathan_S Add Jonathan_S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathan_S

Batch Play:
This thread seems to have some info.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scheinz is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 02:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for scheinz Find more posts by scheinz Add scheinz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scheinz

Where can I get information on dual input to work satalite and cable on a directv tivo?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jonathan_S is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 02:34 AM
Jonathan_S

quote:
Originally posted by scheinzWhere can I get information on dual input to work satalite and cable on a directv tivo?
You can't record cable on a directv tivo. The original poster has a standalone tivo, the SVR2000.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Foos is offline Old Post 03-13-2004 11:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Foos Find more posts by Foos Add Foos to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Foos

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan_S
Batch Play:
This thread seems to have some info.

Excellent. Thanks.

I've actually used TiVoWeb in a "critical" situation. Ie, I would not have gotten the recording had I not had TiVoWeb running. Found out Tim Howard (American GK for Manchester United) was going to be on Cold Pizza, but I was already at work, and the wife was asleep. Fired up the web browser, went in and scheduled the recording, and left a message in the mailbox for my wife not to stop the recording since Howard was going to be on.

It's also kinda nice to be able to check the hard drive's SMART status.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mattack is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mattack Find more posts by mattack Add mattack to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mattack
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan_S
Improve performance (Cachecard for Series 1)

Add additional padding options; more settings, negative padding.

Negative padding? Where? And if I can mount the Tivo drive on Mac OS X, I presume I can do the hacks there? (There's a filesystem project on sourceforge)

..and can the negative padding be optional? i.e. only do negative padding if there's nothing else scheduled to record beforehand? I doubt it, but this for example would allow padding on Letterman (since it ends around a minute or two after the official schedule) but still get the whole Kilborn show when Letterman's in reruns.. (I only skim through Kilborn's show and don't watch the monologue, but this is the best example I could think of..)

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged