TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> CBS HD and Direct TV <<<

Pages (5): [1] 2 3 4 Next » ... Last »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ks-man is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 07:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ks-man Find more posts by ks-man Add ks-man to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ks-man

CBS HD and Direct TV

I'm confused about something. In the direct tv brochures it states that in order to get local channels in HD you need a seperate over the air HD antenna.

Recently direct tv said that CBS is now offered in HD through Direct TV if you live in one of the supported areas (I live in Chicago).

Does this mean I can get CBS HD through Direct TVs receiver without a seperate antenna and just with the DTV receiver? Or do I still need the seperate antenna to get CBS HD and they are just letting people know that CBS is now offering HD programming?

Any info about this topic would be appreciated. I live in a condo with a porch so I'll be putting the dish on it (they won't allow me to put it on the roof), but the dish and an antenna on a small porch may be pushing it. Thanks.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

midas is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 08:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for midas Find more posts by midas Add midas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midas
TiVo Forum Special Member

Yes, being in Chicago we can get CBS-HD via DirecTV. Be aware though, it's the New York feed, not WBBM.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ks-man is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 08:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ks-man Find more posts by ks-man Add ks-man to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ks-man

Talking

Does that mean I'm more likely to get Jets football games even without the Season Pass Package Now that would be a real treat

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

joegolf68 is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 08:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for joegolf68 Find more posts by joegolf68 Add joegolf68 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
joegolf68

duh

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmk1974 is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 09:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmk1974 Find more posts by dmk1974 Add dmk1974 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmk1974

I'm in the Chicago suburbs too and when I called DirecTV to get the CBS-HD feed from NY added, they said they had to send the request to WBBM and it would take up to 45 days to get it added. Why is this? I get WBBM-DT on my antenna with slight breakups once in a while, but I'm obviously in the Chicago market. Why can't they just activate it for me?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 11:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for feldon23 Visit feldon23's homepage! Find more posts by feldon23 Add feldon23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
feldon23
MythBuster

Any station within 100 miles will typically make every effort to block you from getting a national feed, regardless of the impossibility of getting a picture from their channel.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

midas is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 04:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for midas Find more posts by midas Add midas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midas

But WBBM is an O&O station with blanket waivers for the HD feed. You shouldn't have had any problem getting it. I would call again. Sometimes you have to play CSR Roulette.

As far as Jets games, I don't know if we'll see blackouts on those games or not. The feed for us went on just before the Super Bowl. So I don't know what policy will be once we get back to the regular season.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 05:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by dmk1974
I'm in the Chicago suburbs too and when I called DirecTV to get the CBS-HD feed from NY added, they said they had to send the request to WBBM and it would take up to 45 days to get it added. Why is this? I get WBBM-DT on my antenna with slight breakups once in a while, but I'm obviously in the Chicago market. Why can't they just activate it for me?
Call back. Someone didn't quite have the rules right or perhaps misunderstood your request as wanting the distant CBS feed rather than the CBSHD feed.

If you're geographic area is claimed by another non-owned-and-operated CBS station as a possible viewer, that station will have to grant you a waiver in order to get the CBSHD-NY feed. All owned-and-operated CBS stations have granted a blanket waiver to DirecTV subscribers, so they don't need to be contacted for a waiver.

Go here: http://directvdnseligibility.decisi...ddressEntry.asp

Enter your address. If only an owned-and-operated CBS station appears, then you can get CBSHD without any hassles; if a non-owned-and-operated CBS station appears, they'll need to grant a waiver.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dmk1974 is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 06:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dmk1974 Find more posts by dmk1974 Add dmk1974 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dmk1974

When I go to that site and enter in that info, all of the Chicago stations are listed as "Grade A (strong signal)". For each network, there is also an additional "Grade B (moderate signal)" station listed. Those appear to be from Milwaukee. I have never gotten any of those stations from my antenna, so I can't see that being the catch. Chicago is definitley my market. I am in Cary, IL 60013.

I'll call DirecTV again tonight to try to get this straightened out.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

midas is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 07:38 PM
midas

quote:
Originally posted by dmk1974
When I go to that site and enter in that info, all of the Chicago stations are listed as "Grade A (strong signal)". For each network, there is also an additional "Grade B (moderate signal)" station listed. Those appear to be from Milwaukee. I have never gotten any of those stations from my antenna, so I can't see that being the catch. Chicago is definitley my market. I am in Cary, IL 60013.

I'll call DirecTV again tonight to try to get this straightened out.

Unfortunately that means you will have to get a waiver from the Milwaukee station.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ebonovic is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 08:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ebonovic Find more posts by ebonovic Add ebonovic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ebonovic

But I think Milwaukee is giving a blanket waiver, as my father who is in Palatine, just called and they turned it on...

Earl

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

grins is offline Old Post 03-15-2004 09:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for grins Find more posts by grins Add grins to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
grins

The CBS and FOX station in milwuakee are also O&Os, so those do not require waivers.

dmk, you'll want to confirm whether all of those non-chicago stations listed with Grade B signal strength are owned & operated by the nation network. Right now it's only CBS that matters, FOX will matter soon, who knows about the others.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 03-16-2004 01:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence

Not mentioned, unless I missed it, was that even with CBS-HD being offered on DirecTV you still need a separate DirecTV HD receiver. A regular DirecTV receiver will not receive HD.

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

feldon23 is offline Old Post 03-16-2004 02:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for feldon23 Visit feldon23's homepage! Find more posts by feldon23 Add feldon23 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
feldon23
MythBuster

Lowering expectations, Jim?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 03-16-2004 04:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence

Just being realistic I guess. My expectations are low to start with.

This whole locals on DBS thing just drives me nuts. Total waste of bandwidth.

Waiting for FoxHD to show up now.

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ks-man is offline Old Post 03-16-2004 06:26 AM
ks-man

Thanks for all the great responses. Since I'm in the actual city of Chicago I don't believe I'll need a waiver. Also as far as the Jets game it was a joke. I'm sure that the NFL or CBS Chicago would black out those games.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

midas is offline Old Post 03-16-2004 06:48 AM
midas

quote:
Originally posted by ks-man
Thanks for all the great responses. Since I'm in the actual city of Chicago I don't believe I'll need a waiver. Also as far as the Jets game it was a joke. I'm sure that the NFL or CBS Chicago would black out those games.

Yea, I'm in the city too. You'll just need to either subscribe to the local channels or the HD package to get them.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

compuz1 is offline Old Post 03-16-2004 06:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for compuz1 Find more posts by compuz1 Add compuz1 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
compuz1
TiVo - A Lifechanger

Question

I am in Oyster Bay, Long Island (30 miles from NYC). For the DNS eligibility webpage, it says I have WCBS (Grade A) and WFSB (Grade B). Will this effect me getting CBSHD? I have never even heard of WFSB and I gont get it on my antenna. What should I tell the CSR if they insist I need a wavier and I dont need it?

EDIT: By the way, I already get all the locals with no problem if that makes a difference.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bigpuma is offline Old Post 03-16-2004 07:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bigpuma Find more posts by bigpuma Add bigpuma to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigpuma

quote:
Originally posted by compuz1
I am in Oyster Bay, Long Island (30 miles from NYC). For the DNS eligibility webpage, it says I have WCBS (Grade A) and WFSB (Grade B). Will this effect me getting CBSHD? I have never even heard of WFSB and I gont get it on my antenna. What should I tell the CSR if they insist I need a wavier and I dont need it?

EDIT: By the way, I already get all the locals with no problem if that makes a difference.

Well since the National feed is the NYC station I am guessing you will not have a problem.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 03-16-2004 08:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

quote:
Originally posted by compuz1

Anywhere but in the KCBS market area and in the WCBS market area, that would present a problem. But because the station you'll get via DirecTV *is* your local station, that you have another CBS station you can receive doesn't matter.

So you'd be able to get CBSHD without any trouble (and without needing any waiver).

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged