TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> "Channels You Receive" <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Old Post 07-27-2001 08:16 PM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
odelld

Question "Channels You Receive"

This week I've moved from cable to DirecTivo and am very impressed, but there are way too many channels. I see that I can limit the channels I have to see, first with "Channels You Receive" and second with "Favorites." My question is, how do you know which channels you receive? I can individually flip through each channel to see if I get an "Order" prompt, but that would take forever. I know I don't have HBO or Showtime, so that's easy, but most of the channels I've never heard of. There seems to be about 100 sports channels, some I don't get now but may get later, depending on blackouts and which sports are playing (is that right?)

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

vman is offline Old Post 07-27-2001 08:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for vman Find more posts by vman Add vman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vman

What have you subscribed for? Most basic packages are the 200-300 channels. Those you will need to go through and select which you have.

100s -- PPV

400s -- a couple spanish channels

500s -- premium movie services (HBO, Cinemax, etc)

600s -- regional sports channels (only your local station if you subscribe to network locals thru DTV)

700s -- sports PPV (NFL ticket, etc)

800s -- music channels

900s -- locals -- N/A for DTivos, since they are mapped to your local channel numbers (2,4,5,7 etc...)

I pretty much just have my favorites set up for most of the 200-300s that I receive, plus my regional sports channel, and music channels.

Hope this helps.

------------------
Spoon!

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

user113754 is offline Old Post 07-29-2001 07:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for user113754 Find more posts by user113754 Add user113754 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
user113754

You can also try the following link I found on DirecTV website. I lists which channels you should receive depending on what package deal you have. http://www.directv.com/overview/ove...118,145,00.html

------------------
1 Sony SAT-60
1 RCA DRD420RE
1 Toshiba DST3000 (Being Shipped)
40 Wide Toshiba HDTV

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gorimek is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 01:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gorimek Visit Gorimek's homepage! Find more posts by Gorimek Add Gorimek to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gorimek
Tiviot

I've just been through this excercise, which took me several hours. It's pretty pathetic that I have to tell the receiver all this information, when it already knows exactly which channels I receive.

I hope this will be fixed in 2.5.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Xaa is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 01:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Xaa Find more posts by Xaa Add Xaa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xaa
TiVo Forum Special Member

Fixing it would imply that it's broken. It is working as designed.

I hope as you do that the feature will be added to determine the channels I receive and set the list accordingly.

I don't expect it in 2.5 though.

Xaa

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

willardcpa is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 02:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for willardcpa Find more posts by willardcpa Add willardcpa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
willardcpa
QUASI-OMNISCIENT

Personally I hope they leave it as-is. I use "favorites" for just a few channels. On "channels you recieve" I have chosen to not list HSN, Game show network, soaps, etc.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Deven is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 03:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deven Visit Deven's homepage! Find more posts by Deven Add Deven to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deven
Advanced Member

Okay, maybe it's working as designed. Maybe the design is flawed? My television doesn't have the kind of information provided to it that the DirecTivo does, but it can scan all the channels for me and take a pretty good guess at whether or not I have each channel. At the very least, it should be possible to manually trigger an automatic scan, since the receiver can figure it out easier than the user can.

Using the manual checkboxes to block unwanted channels is useful, though -- this should remain possible, one way or another. Probably the ideal design would be for the "channels you receive" to be automatic (and instant), but allow channels to be checked in a "channels you don't want" screen that blocks the unwanted channels... (Presumably, you want all the channels you pay for, unless you say otherwise.)

There should probably be a checkbox for whether to include pay-per-view or not, to allow them to be easily dropped as a group...

------------------
"Simple things should be simple, and complex things should be possible." - Alan Kay

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Xaa is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 05:04 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Xaa Find more posts by Xaa Add Xaa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Xaa

Deven,

That's exactly how my old Sony SA DirecTv receivers did it. It was nice. I just don't expect to see much development in that area. I'd welcome it, but I wouldn't expect it.

Xaa

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Deven is offline Old Post 07-31-2001 08:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Deven Visit Deven's homepage! Find more posts by Deven Add Deven to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Deven
Advanced Member

I don't remember exactly how my old Sony SA receiver did it, but I think it was called "custom" channels or something. Anyway, you could block channels there. But there was also a "master" guide that would include the blocked channels.

The DirecTivo could stand some improvement in this area. I'd also like to have the channel icon grid back from my old Sony.

Maybe we can hope for some of this in 3.0. Certainly, it's not the sort of thing to hold up dual tuners to work on!

------------------
"Simple things should be simple, and complex things should be possible." - Alan Kay

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 08-01-2001 01:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

Well, if they were to add this type of thing (a very neat idea!) I think the only possible way to do it is to do a "channel scan".. It doesn't have a list anywhere that it can access, as such.. That's on the access card and it's not directly accessible to the unit.

------------------
<FONT size="1">All comments made in this post are my opinion and my opinion alone. Deal with it.
Otto, Zen TiVo Master - Moderator - AVS Tivo Forums - Tivo Underground, Tivo Coffee House
"The way of the portable computer user is as a stony path strewn with plugs and sockets, all the wrong size..." -- Terry Pratchett</FONT s>

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Xaa is offline Old Post 08-01-2001 01:31 AM
Xaa

That's exactly how the SOny did it. It told you when you chose the option that it would take a few minutes and it actually looked at all the channels and determined if there was a valid signal or not and then checked or unchecked them accordingly. You still had to go back and uncheck the PPV's and the DTV Bullshit advertising channels, but it went a long way towards doing the job for you.

Would be a nice feature to have, but my guess is that Tivo is going to spend more of their time on Tivo features and less on DSS related stuff.

Xaa

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SFWidescreen is offline Old Post 08-01-2001 05:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SFWidescreen Find more posts by SFWidescreen Add SFWidescreen to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SFWidescreen

Even if it is not automated, it could be a lot more user friendly. On my old RCA DTV box, as I was selecting which channels to include (scrolling through the list) the channel would actually be tuned in behind the screen. This allows me to scroll down through the list and see if it is active or not. For PPV channels I can see that they're not live, but include them. For home shopping I can see that they are live, but not include them. With DirecTiVo I have to scroll through and make notes and then go set up 'Channels You Receive." I should at least be able to do that in one step. (IMHO)

-Curtis

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-01-2001 07:18 PM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
odelld

The way I entually chose my "channels you receive" is by looking at two lists that were included with the material I got when ordering DirecTv:

- the list of channel names in my programming packages, and
- the alphabetical list of all channel names and their corresponding channel numbers.

Since the end product of my exercise was a list of channel numbers listed in alphabetical order, I entered all the channel numbers that I receive into an Excel spreadsheet and sorted them to be in numerical order.

I then went through the "channels you receive" routine and checked/unchecked the channels accordingly.

This excersice was too hard, too long, and IMHO, ridiculous.

Also, I don't think that I included all of the channels I really do receive. For example, I think that the channel "Oxygen" is now free (at least in my programming package). I saw this somewhere in an advertisement.

BTW, after all of this ranting, I just have one thing to say:

WOW! TiVo is incredible! What a great product.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Deven is offline Old Post 08-01-2001 11:37 PM
Deven
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Otto:
Well, if they were to add this type of thing (a very neat idea!) I think the only possible way to do it is to do a "channel scan".. It doesn't have a list anywhere that it can access, as such.. That's on the access card and it's not directly accessible to the unit.

Could it ask the access card without actually changing the tuner?

Even if it really has to tune to each channel for a moment to determine this, so what? If the user selects an option to scan the channels, they'll probably save time over trying to do it manually. Moreover, any time that the TiVo could be recording a Suggestion, it could scan channels. Especially once dual-tuner support is release at the end of the summer, there should be plenty of opportunity for the system to occasionally scan a few channels to keep updated. Mostly it's a matter of programming it in.

I wouldn't want 2.5 delayed for a feature like this, but it would be nice to see in 3.0 after we're all enjoying dual tuners and don't feel so rushed to upgrade.

------------------

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 08-02-2001 12:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

quote:
Originally posted by Deven:
Could it ask the access card without actually changing the tuner?

Erm.. It might be able to be optimized and tweaked a bit.. You see, that's not really a "tuner". It does tune into a frequency with several channels on it, true, but then it gets digital data from those channels instead of analog like you normally think of with "tuner"..

So in effect, I suppose that with some very tricky programming, it only has to switch the tuner to each transponder, and figure out which channels it gets on that transponder, by the means of getting the codes from the stream and passing them to the access card, which in turn gives a decode key or not on each one. I don't think it actually has to attempt to decode each channel.

But the hardware config, and the firmware in the "tuner" may not allow that direct of an access to the stream and to the decoding circutry. Who knows? Maybe it could be done quickly.

------------------
<FONT size="1">All comments made in this post are my opinion and my opinion alone. Deal with it.
Otto, Zen TiVo Master - Moderator - AVS Tivo Forums - Tivo Underground, Tivo Coffee House
"The way of the portable computer user is as a stony path strewn with plugs and sockets, all the wrong size..." -- Terry Pratchett</FONT s>

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Deven is offline Old Post 08-02-2001 04:19 AM
Deven
Advanced Member

I was wondering if it was even necessary to tune to that transponder. After all, the system caches satellite information on startup; does it have everything needed to ask the access card? Could it conceivably test channels without even interrupting a recording in progress? (Or two recordings, once dual-tuner is out...)

------------------

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gorimek is offline Old Post 08-02-2001 04:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gorimek Visit Gorimek's homepage! Find more posts by Gorimek Add Gorimek to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gorimek
Tiviot

Two points.

1. I didn't know the channel info is on the card. But it can hardly be difficult to get it from the card, since other DTV receivers already produce this list, according to other posters.

2. Apart from the setup ease, another good feature of letting the receiver handle this would be that when channels are added to your packages, or you order/cancel channel packages, it keeps track of it.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged