TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Opinions on Free HMO trial <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
killed4nada is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 09:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for killed4nada Find more posts by killed4nada Add killed4nada to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
killed4nada

Opinions on Free HMO trial

I know it hasnt started yet but as of May 10 there is supposed to be a free 30 day HMO trail so if you can hold out until then you get to try it before you buy it. And you dont have to worry about giving out your credit card number

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

KermitTheFrog is offline Old Post 04-30-2004 10:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for KermitTheFrog Visit KermitTheFrog's homepage! Find more posts by KermitTheFrog Add KermitTheFrog to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
KermitTheFrog
Is that a Garaffe?

You can always try it for 30 days and get a full refund if you don't like it anyways.

*Shrug*

KC

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

C_A_Jones is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 01:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for C_A_Jones Find more posts by C_A_Jones Add C_A_Jones to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
C_A_Jones

I own two TiVos, one Series 1 and one Series 2, both have lifetime subs. I bought the S2 when TiVo had a similar offer last year. Much to my chagrin, I discovered HMO doesn't work with HPNA. I wasn't about to buy replacement network hardware just to try HMO.

Although I will soon change my network to wireless, I still won't go for HMO. Having had time to think about it, the only HMO feature that would be of value to me is R2R, and that's not going to happen unless I get a second S2.

If I could transfer the subscription from the S1 to a new S2, I'd buy a new S2 and pass the S1 on to one of my friends. Since I can't transfer the subscription, I'll be sitting on the sidelines until the S1 dies.

Bottom line: There's no compelling reason for me to even try HMO at the present time.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gregd33 is offline Old Post 05-01-2004 09:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gregd33 Find more posts by Gregd33 Add Gregd33 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregd33
Gamer Extraordinaire

I think it is a great idea.

I was considering buying it, but this way I can try before I buy.

Though.. I did not know about the 30 day money back guarantee..

Are you not entertained? Are you NOT ENTERTAINED!? Is this not why you are here?

Last edited by Gregd33 on 05-10-2004 at 02:51 AM

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hutchca is offline Old Post 05-07-2004 06:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hutchca Visit hutchca's homepage! Find more posts by hutchca Add hutchca to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hutchca

I'm glad I got a chance to try it.

I have only 1 tivo so show sharing isn't an option.
The only feature I would use is the Music and Photos and that's not worth the $99 price tag.

There are better dedicated devices to play music, pictures AND VIDEOS over the network and they are around $99 or less.

Is all your life will ever be" - Waters

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MickeS is offline Old Post 05-07-2004 07:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MickeS Find more posts by MickeS Add MickeS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MickeS

The remote scheduling is great though. I used it a lot the last trial period. I will probably get HMO now that I have JavaHMO running.

/Mike

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gregd33 is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 02:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gregd33 Find more posts by Gregd33 Add Gregd33 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gregd33
Gamer Extraordinaire

I reeived an EMail(not a TiVo message, but a real EMail) from TiVo about the trial and that I should see Music and Photos on TiVo Central.

Since this is not officially starting untill the 10th, can I just ASSume this EMail was sent out a few days early for those lucky enough to receive it already?

I really wanna try these options out.

Are you not entertained? Are you NOT ENTERTAINED!? Is this not why you are here?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 03:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by Gregd33
I reeived an EMail(not a TiVo message, but a real EMail) from TiVo about the trial and that I should see Music and Photos on TiVo Central.

Since this is not officially starting until the 10th, can I just ASSume this EMail was sent out a few days early for those lucky enough to receive it already?

I really wanna try these options out.

We send each e-mail as we turn on the trial for a particular DVR, so if you got the e-mail, you can activate the trial on your DVR by making a connection to the TiVo service.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

drewbenson is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 06:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for drewbenson Find more posts by drewbenson Add drewbenson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
drewbenson

Just tried HMO. I'm using a wireless network adapter with my TiVo, so certainly that contributes to this my negative impressions, but here they are anyway:

1- First, I had read about HMO before, and since I only have a single series 2 tivo, I didn't think I wanted it.

2- However, when I tried it, I started to think about my 200 CDs of audio I've got on my PC, and since my Tivo is hooked to my home stereo, I thought that could really be worth something. Much to my chagrin, though, the audio thing wouldn't deal with WMP files (from Windows Media Player). Since there's zero chance I'm going to convert all my files to mp3 or rerip them all, I dismissed this HMO audio/music option as worthless.

3- Thought the pictures could be cool -- so I hooked it up to My Pictures. It seemed to recognize those, but it was VERY slow. Certainly part of that is related to the wireless. But it was too slow to be useful, particularly reading directories/folders.

I fooled with the pictures for a few more minutes and tried to do a slide show. The TiVo then told me it lost connection with my PC.

I've now uninstalled TiVo Desktop and am quite done with HMO. I'd reconsider it if they could work out a seemless integration with all my WMP files though. That would be worth something.

TiVo should focus on something that matters though, like a multi-tuner cable box DVR. I'm sure their standalone unit sales are on the decline by now, and DirecTV alone won't be enough to keep the company afloat.

My criticisms aside, I love my TiVo and really wish for them to succeed. However, my history (Apple and Sun, for example) is to pick people with great products and lousy marketing schemes.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gregd33 is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 06:51 AM
Gregd33
Gamer Extraordinaire

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
We send each e-mail as we turn on the trial for a particular DVR, so if you got the e-mail, you can activate the trial on your DVR by making a connection to the TiVo service.

That was how I thought it would go.. However, I have made TiVo call 4-5 times and nothing.

No big deal. Just thought I might get to play around with it today instead of during the week/next weekend.

Thanks for the reply.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 10:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by drewbenson

Much to my chagrin, though, the audio thing wouldn't deal with WMP files (from Windows Media Player). Since there's zero chance I'm going to convert all my files to mp3 or rerip them all, I dismissed this HMO audio/music option as worthless.

Home Media Option currently supports only the MP3 file format. There are however several third-party add-ins that do support the WMA format that Windows Media Player uses. There are a couple of WMA plug-ins mentioned here:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=124778
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=139027

quote:

Thought the pictures could be cool -- so I hooked it up to My Pictures. It seemed to recognize those, but it was VERY slow. Certainly part of that is related to the wireless. But it was too slow to be useful, particularly reading directories/folders.

You might check out the article on our support site:
http://customersupport.tivo.com/tiv...blic/tv2061.htm

You might want to pay particular attention to the size of the photos and how many are in each directory to make the transfer speed as high as possible.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

skanter is offline Old Post 05-10-2004 11:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for skanter Find more posts by skanter Add skanter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skanter
TiVo Forum Special Member

I took a chance on HMO about a month ago before the trial option -- and never looked back. I use a wired network, and it's very fast, even for 2MB photos.

Having -all- my MP3s ( about 30G) instantly available streaming into Tivo and my stereo system and on my screen is worth the price of admission alone. I've been listening to my music collection much more since I got HMO. Also, putting up MP3 streaming radio stations is easy, I now have about 100 stations on my TV screen along with other music. I use only high-bit rate stations, and they sound great.

The photo option looks much better than I thought it would -- it's totally replaced gathering around the computer monitor for family slide shows.

The remote scheduling is extremely useful, and I've caught many shows that I wouldn't have scheduling from my work computer. I think that option is available without HMO, however.

I tried javaHMO, which seemed like a great idea, but could not get many features to work, and photo viewing was slowed down too much. When my whole system started acting flaky I uninstalled it and went back to the Tivo server.

I do hope Tivo will update features in HMO as it is still pretty basic, but well worth the $99 IMHO.

unknown

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gregd33 is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 03:54 AM
Gregd33
Gamer Extraordinaire

Still no HMO today.. Hmm.. Any ideas why?

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cgrisamore is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 06:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cgrisamore Find more posts by Cgrisamore Add Cgrisamore to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cgrisamore

As an experiment I tried remote scheduling and earlier today from work I selected a show this afternoon to record. After saving the request, the website said that it'd be added to my "to do" list the next time my machine connected to the network. I was skeptical that a request for this afternoon would be processed in time but to my surprise the program was on my Tivo when I got home this afternoon.

Not having so good luck with the music and photos though. I've installed desktop, published music and photos and yet my Tivo can't see the server. I've triple checked the IP address and I'm not running any firewall software or anything mentioned in the troubleshooting guide and yet my Tivo still can't see the machine running the Tivo desktop software. Tivo desktop appears to be able to see the tivo as it shows up in the access control tab.

Anybody else having this problem?

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gregd33 is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 06:29 AM
Gregd33
Gamer Extraordinaire

quote:
Still no HMO today.. Hmm.. Any ideas why?

Ahhh HA!

As I suspected.

I have 2 TiVos in my account. One is mine, at my house. The other is my Moms, at her house. Even though I am the one that has the broadband connection, my Moms TiVo is the one that has the Music and Photos menu item.

How silly of TiVo. They sent the HMO trial to a TiVo that is not even connected to Broadband.

TiVoBill,

Can this be corrected? I sent you a PM with MY TiVos serial number.

Thanks.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 06:34 AM
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

The HMO trial is going out to all Series2 DVRs with active service (no broadband required). The rollout is still in progress -- the 10th isn't over yet

Bill

quote:
Ahhh HA!

As I suspected.

I have 2 TiVos in my account. One is mine, at my house. The other is my Moms, at her house. Even though I am the one that has the broadband connection, my Moms TiVo is the one that has the Music and Photos menu item.

How silly of TiVo. They sent the HMO trial to a TiVo that is not even connected to Broadband.

TiVoBill,

Can this be corrected? I sent you a PM with MY TiVos serial number.

Thanks.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pparadis2 is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 06:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pparadis2 Find more posts by pparadis2 Add pparadis2 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pparadis2

quote:
Not having so good luck with the music and photos though. I've installed desktop, published music and photos and yet my Tivo can't see the server. I've triple checked the IP address and I'm not running any firewall software or anything mentioned in the troubleshooting guide and yet my Tivo still can't see the machine running the Tivo desktop software. Tivo desktop appears to be able to see the tivo as it shows up in the access control tab.

I was having this exact problem. Try this... go into the tivo desktop software, and check under "Tivo Server Properties". Under "network identification" check to see if you have multiple network choices. Mine was defaulted to the wrong setup, once I made that change, it worked perfectly.

I'm loving HMO. Been wanting to be able to play my music collection through the stereo for some time, and with 2 young kids, its nice being able to view all the pictures on the TV. My wife who wanted nothing to do with HMO fell in love with it within 5 minutes of being able to scroll through the pictures. Now if I could just get that offer for $40 off again, I would jump right on it!

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cgrisamore is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 07:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cgrisamore Find more posts by Cgrisamore Add Cgrisamore to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cgrisamore

quote:
Originally posted by pparadis2
I was having this exact problem. Try this... go into the tivo desktop software, and check under "Tivo Server Properties". Under "network identification" check to see if you have multiple network choices. Mine was defaulted to the wrong setup, once I made that change, it worked perfectly.

Thanks for the idea, I don't have more than one network but after rebooting the machine running the desktop software, Tivo finally saw the server. The file sharing works ok but the music feature isn't going to be of much value to me as although I listen to a lot of music, I don't do it in the great room with the TV. Picture viewing was more useful as I've had a digital camera since 2001 and all of my photos are on my upstairs computer. Browsing through some vacation photos was pretty cool as it's nicer on a 46" tv versus a computer screen. My test of remote scheduling worked but as I generally run my wishlists every few days, the only thing I can come up with where I'd use it was if somebody at the office told me about an upcoming program and I wanted to immediately go schedule it (in short - doubt it'd get used frequently).

Bottom line assessment: it's not priced right for the value I'd get out of it. Wonder how many others would jump on it at $50 instead of $100?

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gregd33 is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 07:31 AM
Gregd33
Gamer Extraordinaire

quote:
Originally posted by TiVoBill
The HMO trial is going out to all Series2 DVRs with active service (no broadband required). The rollout is still in progress -- the 10th isn't over yet

Bill

OIC. I thought it required broadband... Ooops!

Thanks Bill.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mcarleton2000 is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 10:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mcarleton2000 Find more posts by mcarleton2000 Add mcarleton2000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mcarleton2000

Works for me

My HMO free trial activated on the 10th as promised. I tried JavaHMO
first but could not get it started on my XP home system( java command line options the JVM did not like). The TiVo desktop
is working though. I'm using a wired 10/100 network so photo viewing is
fast. The MP3 files play OK too. Like others, I wish I could have the music playing in the background while looking at photos. The result of the slide show is that I now have a to-do list from my wife of digital photos that
I need to print out. I would be nice if TiVo could partner with an internet photo printing service so my wife could order prints using the TiVo remote.
You could even plug a photo printer into the USB port an print the photos directly. The request could also go back to the TiVo desktop but that would require me to load photo paper in the printer.

I tried remote scheduling as well and got both emails for each program with about a 30 minute lag between the request and the confirmation emails.

With only one DVR in the house, I can't try the multi-room viewing. I wish I had the option of sharing with the TiVo owner across the street. I'd share my broadband via WiFi to his house to get that.

So far, I don't think I can justify the $99 cost. I might go for the next $59 special though.

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged