TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> "DirecTV Plus" (for local stations) and DTiVo? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tornado is offline Old Post 08-30-2001 10:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tornado Visit tornado's homepage! Find more posts by tornado Add tornado to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tornado

Question "DirecTV Plus" (for local stations) and DTiVo?

I'm looking at making the jump from cable to DTiVo. To get my local network affiliates, DirecTV says, "You can receive these local channels using a DIRECTV PLUS TM System or a DIRECTV PARA TODOS TM System, which includes a special set-top receiver and an 18x24-inch, oval-shaped satellite dish."

I'm considering the Orbitsat Hughes deal, but it appears to come with the round dish. The description says, "Support for all NEW DIRECTV Satellites 101,110 & 119 including Local To local. And an 18" Dish with a Dual LNB."

This doesn't sound like what I'd need.

I know I can buy the right dish separately (I've found discussions about it here), but will it work with this (or any other) DTiVo unit?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

walters is offline Old Post 08-30-2001 10:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for walters Find more posts by walters Add walters to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
walters
TiVo Forum Special Member

Yes, all DTiVo units are "plus capable" (meaning they know how to use the oval dish)

------------------
Philips DSR6000 DirecTV with <FONT COLOR="#ff3333">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="#33cc99">i</FONT c><FONT COLOR="#ff9900">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="#9933ff">o</FONT c>
Vote for new TiVo features

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dbett is offline Old Post 08-30-2001 10:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dbett Find more posts by dbett Add dbett to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dbett
Hmm?

The oval dish will work fine with the DTivo boxes and you will be able to get all your locals.

See here
for Directv's info page on the equipment you'll need.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tornado is offline Old Post 08-30-2001 10:55 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tornado Visit tornado's homepage! Find more posts by tornado Add tornado to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tornado

Thanks! I hadn't seen anywhere that they were all Plus capable.

Now to find the best price on a dish.... Any suggestions?

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 08-30-2001 10:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

tornado: If you're not picky about the look of the thing, the oval dish merely gets signals from two satellites. Two round dual LNB dishes and a 4x4 multiswitch will give identical functionality to the oval dish, allowing you to get the second satellite and so forth.

What's my point? Well, you may be able to find a better deal if you consider buying a second round dish and a 4x4 multiswitch separately instead of buying an oval dish and a D-Tivo separately. Some combo purchases are very, very cheap, esp. for first time buyers.

Just something to consider.

------------------
<FONT size="1">All comments made in this post are my opinion and my opinion alone. Deal with it.
Otto, Zen TiVo Master - Moderator - AVS Tivo Forums - Tivo Underground, Tivo Coffee House
"The way of the portable computer user is as a stony path strewn with plugs and sockets, all the wrong size..." -- Terry Pratchett</FONT s>

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tornado is offline Old Post 08-30-2001 11:06 PM
tornado

Otto: Great, one more thing to compare prices on. Thanks, though.

I just saw that Orbitsat has a 18x24 with a 4x4 multiswitch Hughes DTiVo for $250 (for new DirecTV subscribers).

So for the extra $150 (over what I'd been looking at), am I better off getting a second round dish and a 4x4 multiswitch? I haven't priced those, so I guess I'll go hunting for prices. Any advice appreciated!

And a multiswitch that ends in 4 means I can hook up 2 dual-tuner (coming soon) DTiVos, right?

I bought the SA 30-hour Philips straight from TiVo this week, and I'm really unhappy with the picture quality at anything but "best." Now I'm itching for DTiVo, since my in-laws have it, and I'm spoiled by it.

[This message has been edited by tornado (edited 08-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by tornado (edited 08-30-2001).]

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HofstraJet is offline Old Post 08-30-2001 11:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HofstraJet Visit HofstraJet's homepage! Find more posts by HofstraJet Add HofstraJet to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HofstraJet
Member in Hiding

I have several 18x24 dual LNB dishes with 4x4 multiswitches for sale. It is this item without the receiver:

RCA DS4440RE

Email me at dbags@dbags.com for details.

[This message has been edited by HofstraJet (edited 08-30-2001).]

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-30-2001 11:43 PM
Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tperez1010

If it says that it will receive from the 3 satellite positions (101° 110° & 119°) then thats what you need to receive your local channels and that should imply that it comes with an elliptical dish.

------------------
--
tperez1010

(1) Philips TIVO SA - 30hr

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

alexcue is offline Old Post 08-30-2001 11:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for alexcue Find more posts by alexcue Add alexcue to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
alexcue

quote:
Originally posted by tperez1010:
If it says that it will receive from the 3 satellite positions (101° 110° & 119°) then thats what you need to receive your local channels and that should imply that it comes with an elliptical dish.

"Support for all NEW DIRECTV Satellites 101,110 & 119 including Local To local." (taken from the original poster)
This implies that the Dtivo is Plus compatible, not that it comes with the proper dish. That's why the next line says it only comes with the 18" dish.

------------------
Most toys wins!!!

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-31-2001 12:31 AM
Mgraham

Tornado,

I would recommend what I did. If you go to your local Walmart check to see if they carry the DirecTV Plus systems. I was able to purchase a DirecTV Plus Dish, with the RCA 440RE and new HU card for $99.00+Tax! Walmart also doesn't run the transaction through the DirecTV database so they don't know if you are a current or former DirecTV subscriber or not. This saved me a ton of $$$ as the Dish alone was $150.00 at Best Buy. Best of luck.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Juppers is offline Old Post 08-31-2001 01:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Juppers Find more posts by Juppers Add Juppers to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Juppers

So what if I'm lazy and don't want to run both lines to the DTiVo as plus lines. Can you tell it one is Plus and the other isn't? I guess this would be a 2.5ish question...

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brianp6621 is offline Old Post 08-31-2001 01:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for brianp6621 Find more posts by brianp6621 Add brianp6621 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brianp6621

I don't see how you could run both lines with only one being a plus capable line..

A plus capable feed had to have come from a multswitch from a oval dish or a pair of round dishes feeding into the multiswitch. Either way you still have the other outputs of the multiswitch to run as other "plus" feeds.

The only way to have a non-plus feed would be to be running another round dish as well..

But to ansswer your question, or not, I have NO idea how 2.5 would react to a plus and a non-plus feed on the seperate tuners. This is an extremely rare if not non-existant condition.. My guess is that it will know that it is not getting any signal strength from the 119 satellite on input 2 but the question is then, what does it do? Can it handle seeing the secondary satellite on only one feed??

Again why?

------------------
DSR6000R01 Direc<FONT COLOR="red">T</FONT c><FONT COLOR="green">i</FONT c><FONT COLOR="orange">V</FONT c><FONT COLOR="purple">o</FONT c> upgraded to 88 hours
HDR112 dust collector

[This message has been edited by Oh2Smooth (edited 08-30-2001).]

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Juppers is offline Old Post 08-31-2001 02:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Juppers Find more posts by Juppers Add Juppers to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Juppers

Mostly curiosity. Some people aren't going to have a multiswitch for plus, just a little 22 khz switch. That would allow for 2 dishs, 1 single LNB, 1 dual LNB, 1 plus setup, and one non plus setup.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ehopper is offline Old Post 08-31-2001 02:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ehopper Visit ehopper's homepage! Find more posts by ehopper Add ehopper to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ehopper
Out for repairs

quote:
Originally posted by tornado:
Thanks! I hadn't seen anywhere that they were all Plus capable.

Now to find the best price on a dish.... Any suggestions?

Virtually all new DirecTV receivers are plus capable. At some point (and I think that is the case with DTivo's now) is that Plus support is assumed.

------------------
Tivo since 11/99!!
Ultimate TV: From the same people who make the Code Red worm possible

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tornado is offline Old Post 08-31-2001 02:50 AM
tornado

Thumbs up

Mgraham, thanks for the WalMart suggestion.

So let's see if I've got this right -- I can buy the DTiVo (18") and the WalMart RCA (18x24 with 2xdual LNB & 4x4 multiswitch) for $99 each then hook up the 18x24 + 4x4 to the DTiVo (2 tuners) in the living room and the RCA with the 18 in a bedroom -- for $50 less than the DTiVo with the 18x24. Wow.

That puts 2 dishes on my house, but that's worth $50. And sure, I won't TiVo in the bedroom, but if (well, when) I get another DTiVo box, I can get a bigger multiswitch.

If I'm wrong on this, let me know. Otherwise, I think I'm sold.

The SA will be going back into its box to get shipped back very soon now....

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Otto is offline Old Post 08-31-2001 03:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Otto Find more posts by Otto Add Otto to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Otto

quote:
Originally posted by tornado:
So let's see if I've got this right -- I can buy the DTiVo (18") and the WalMart RCA (18x24 with 2xdual LNB & 4x4 multiswitch) for $99 each then hook up the 18x24 + 4x4 to the DTiVo (2 tuners) in the living room and the RCA with the 18 in a bedroom -- for $50 less than the DTiVo with the 18x24. Wow.

That puts 2 dishes on my house, but that's worth $50. And sure, I won't TiVo in the bedroom, but if (well, when) I get another DTiVo box, I can get a bigger multiswitch.

The SA will be going back into its box to get shipped back very soon now....

It's even better than that. let's sit down and think it over:

From OrbitSat, you get a round dish and a D-Tivo.
From Wal-Mart, you get an oval dish and a RCA DTV receiver. The oval dish comes with the 4x4 multiswitch needed.

So, you put the oval dish up, and attach the D-Tivo to 2 of the slots and the RCA DTV reciever to one more (on the multiswitch). You sell the round dish for a bit of extra profit. Later, if you get another D-Tivo, you can get a bigger multiswitch (a 4x8 or a 5x8 for example).

No two dishes on the house needed.

------------------
<FONT size="1">All comments made in this post are my opinion and my opinion alone. Deal with it.
Otto, Zen TiVo Master - Moderator - AVS Tivo Forums - Tivo Underground, Tivo Coffee House
"The way of the portable computer user is as a stony path strewn with plugs and sockets, all the wrong size..." -- Terry Pratchett</FONT s>

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tornado is offline Old Post 08-31-2001 03:45 AM
tornado

Cool

Otto, thanks. In the excitement, I got ahead of myself and lost count on the math. Of course there's 4 lines running from the oval.

Short of a final talk with my wife, this looks like a done deal. I'm sold, and at this price, I think she will be.

Now I just need to read on the boxes how many cables and how long and see if I need to buy extra.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Old Post 08-31-2001 04:05 AM
Mgraham

No Problem Tornado. I was originally a DirecTV customer 2 years ago (before they offered locals), and ended up switching to the Dish Network. The local feeds on the Dish Network were so compressed that watching any high speed action sports (Football) difficult to watch as the PQ was bad. I decided to switch back to DirecTV but found out that I needed the Plus system to get the Local channels. After pricing out systems from sat dealers and electronic stores I found out that most of them had to check some sort of DirecTV database and if you were in the database as a previous subscriber, it added a large chunk of money on top of the sale price. Just out of luck, I was buying some DVD's from Wal-Mart and noticed they had the Plus system for $99.00. I picked one up, all they did was verify that the access card matched the receiver and then rung me up. They didn't have to enter me into any database. I just paid cash and brought it home. Changed out my Dish 500 with the DirecTV Plus (the post is the same so I just had to switch the dish), and hooked the feeds into the switch. My only mistake was that I previously only had 2 lines (one from each dual LNB) running into the switch. The Plus receivers use a tone that is sent through the lines to switch to the proper satellite. Instead of running 2 more lines up to the Dish, I just bought 2 Satellite splitters and have have one line from each Dual LNB feed into the splitter. I then have 2 smaller RG6 cables that come from the splitter into the switch. This works fine for 2 receivers. However, I suspect that if you were to run 4 receivers you would need to run the two additional lines from the Dual LNB's from the dish.

Sorry for the long post. Hope everything works out. I'll be buying a Phillips DirecTivo tomorrow, and I'm looking forward to receiving it after reading the reviews. Thanks!

Marko

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged