TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Why is my remote scheduling not working? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wallace is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 05:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for wallace Find more posts by wallace Add wallace to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wallace
Is it in you?

Why is my remote scheduling not working?

So about 8 days ago I tried to remote schedule a show when I was on a trip only to return and fine out it did not schedule it at all. Now, I am seeing it once again and I would appreciate some assitance and figuring out why this is not working (in a timely manner or at all?). I don't like paying for a feature that doesn't work.

I scheduled a request online and got a confirmation email at 11:44EST (over 7 hours ago) that the request was setup. I never received the second email saying the recording was setup. I got home and realized it still didn't set up the recording and I am really annoyed.

So here is some infromation which may (or may not) be useful from the System Information screen:
Todays date: Monday, May 10, 2004 7:02pm
Service Connection:
Last Succesful: Sunday May 9 at 5:45 am
Last Attempt: Monday May 10 at 5:34 am
Last Status: Pending Restart
Phone not in use.
Next Scheduled: Monday May 10 at 5:34 am
Service Data Download:
Last Succesful: Monday, May 10 at 4:29 am
Last Attempt: Monday, May 10 at 4:29am
Last Status: Completed

So, I know my connnection is fine and always has been. The only thing I can even speculate might be the problem is that it sais Pending Restart. I seem to recall it said that last week too. Will remote scheduling not work if a pending restart is there, because then it sounds like I just get screwed on any given day I try to remote schedule because it didnt restart itself immediately after the download. Any other thing it can be?? Until I get feedback I am not restarting receiver in case I lose some state it is in that will reveal a problem/bug.

Oh, I almost forget to mention in case it matters that TivoBeacon.exe is running on my WinXP machine here and always has been.

Do, or do not. There is no ‘try’. --Yoda

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 06:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

When your DVR is in that mode it can't receive schedling requests over the network. Your DVR should only say "Pending Restart" when you receive a software upgrade (which shouldn't be very often). If you seeing that on a regular basis, you should contact Customer Support.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wallace is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 09:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for wallace Find more posts by wallace Add wallace to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wallace
Is it in you?

Thanks for the info. At least I know why it isn't working. Now I just need to figure out if I have a problem with it getting the Pending Restart when it shouldn't be. I will restart the machine via the menus.

I do know for a fact last Sunday(8 days ago) it was Pending Restart and after a restart I get the "Installing new software from the TiVo Service. This will take a few minutes" Screen. I got the exact same screen this time around.

Did we really have 2 software updates in the past 8 days? What kind of timeframe after a new software download is it before the TiVo normally restarts itself? I guess I will be watching it more closely now to see if it comes back again.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 09:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TiVoBill Visit TiVoBill's homepage! Find more posts by TiVoBill Add TiVoBill to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by wallace
Thanks for the info. At least I know why it isn't working. Now I just need to figure out if I have a problem with it getting the Pending Restart when it shouldn't be. I will restart the machine via the menus.

I do know for a fact last Sunday(8 days ago) it was Pending Restart and after a restart I get the "Installing new software from the TiVo Service. This will take a few minutes" Screen. I got the exact same screen this time around.

Did we really have 2 software updates in the past 8 days? What kind of timeframe after a new software download is it before the TiVo normally restarts itself? I guess I will be watching it more closely now to see if it comes back again.

No, there actually havn't been any software releases since 4.0.1b a couple of months ago. I'm guessing your not running 4.0.1b yet?

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rsnaider is offline Old Post 05-11-2004 07:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rsnaider Find more posts by rsnaider Add rsnaider to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rsnaider
TiVo Forum Special Member

Is this machine upgraded or modified in anyway? As stated above by TiVoBill you may need to contact Customer Service, but be warned, if your TiVo is downloading new software everyday, TiVo will cut you off since that is not normal and consumes bandwith/resources on TiVo's end.

TiVo | SERlES2 - 302 Hrs
TiVo | SONY SVR3000 - 273 Hrs

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wallace is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 08:29 AM
wallace
Is it in you?

The software version is 4.0.1-01-2-240

This unit has not been modified in any way

After getting home tonight I saw that it said it was Pending Restart again, so apparently my TiVo is downloading data over and over and even after it restarts (I have manually done it 3 times) it just does it all over again. I guess whatever it is downloading is not installing correctly or there is some bug. I will try calling Customer Service now.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wallace is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 09:20 AM
wallace
Is it in you?

After a VERY long wait time I got someone in Tech Support and we got some info. Apparently my unit has been downloading the software repeatedly since February Since this is not my primary TiVo and it is in my office I had not even noticed until I tried the remote scheduling while I was out of town. They mentioned that it was a rare bug they had seen before which was something on the server (not my TiVo) that they needed to fix. So, hopefully in the next day or so they will clear up their server and it will also push 4.0.1b to me. Thanks for the info everyone! I will definately post what happens to give some closure to the thread when it happens.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 08:24 PM
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

quote:
After a VERY long wait time I got someone in Tech Support and we got some info. Apparently my unit has been downloading the software repeatedly since February Since this is not my primary TiVo and it is in my office I had not even noticed until I tried the remote scheduling while I was out of town. They mentioned that it was a rare bug they had seen before which was something on the server (not my TiVo) that they needed to fix. So, hopefully in the next day or so they will clear up their server and it will also push 4.0.1b to me. Thanks for the info everyone! I will definitely post what happens to give some closure to the thread when it happens.

It will be interesting to see what they come back with. It certainly COULD be a server side issue where you are mapped to the wrong software version but that seems unlikely in this case. It's also possible that the installation of the software is failing for a different reason such as corrupted space on the hard drive where it tries to install the new software (they would have to process an exchange in that case). Hopefully they will have some answers soon.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wallace is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 06:19 AM
wallace
Is it in you?

And the saga continues...

So, I return home to find a message from a Level 2 Tech support guy who has been working with the engineers telling me they want to try some things and I should call them back.

After another marathon hold time (I try not to be critical, but they need to seriouslly add some more support), I finally talk to multiple people at which point they tell me the same Level 2 who has been working this will call me. He then calls me and informs me that it is not what I was informed last night and they have in fact never seen something like this. I was instructed to stop connecting over the internet and to do it the old fashioned way via the phone line to try and let them get more data from me (I have no idea why they couldn't get it over the net, but they just said they couldn't).

So, I am connecting to the service over the phone line twice per their request (with a reboot inbetween of course because it still sais Pending Restart after each connect) and was told that I should hear more information from them tomorrow. Somehow I pissed my TiVo off and it has decided to give me a unique bug and long hold time penalties, maybe I should have dusted it more often

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TiVoBill is offline Old Post 05-13-2004 11:36 AM
TiVoBill
Advanced Member

Re: And the saga continues...

Sorry to hear that it is has been such a complicated process. If you are not able to get this resolved shortly, send me a PM and I will see what I can do to speed things along.

quote:
So, I return home to find a message from a Level 2 Tech support guy who has been working with the engineers telling me they want to try some things and I should call them back.

After another marathon hold time (I try not to be critical, but they need to seriouslly add some more support), I finally talk to multiple people at which point they tell me the same Level 2 who has been working this will call me. He then calls me and informs me that it is not what I was informed last night and they have in fact never seen something like this. I was instructed to stop connecting over the internet and to do it the old fashioned way via the phone line to try and let them get more data from me (I have no idea why they couldn't get it over the net, but they just said they couldn't).

So, I am connecting to the service over the phone line twice per their request (with a reboot inbetween of course because it still sais Pending Restart after each connect) and was told that I should hear more information from them tomorrow. Somehow I pissed my TiVo off and it has decided to give me a unique bug and long hold time penalties, maybe I should have dusted it more often

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wallace is offline Old Post 05-17-2004 09:01 PM
wallace
Is it in you?

Thanks for getting more prompt attention to this issue Bill!

After talking with the engineer and getting a lot of steps and things to try it appears to be fixed. I am now updated to 4.0.1b and it can connect to the service without requiring a restart

In the end I am not sure which step in all of the "kickstart" methods and other things it was. The last thing I did was a Clear and Delete though. I am just glad it appears to be working normally now, and just hope it continues to stay that way.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged