TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
>>> Remote Scheduling and TiVo's To Do <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ecopoesis is offline Old Post 05-12-2004 11:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ecopoesis Find more posts by ecopoesis Add ecopoesis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ecopoesis

Remote Scheduling and TiVo's To Do

I would like to be able to see my TiVo's ToDo list when I'm remote scheduling. I realize TiVo doens't so this now, not because of any technological issues, but because of privacy concerns, so I'd like to offer a couple of solutions.

1) Make it opt in. Add a bunch of legalese. This is so simple I can't understand why it's not been done.

2) Solve it with technology. We already know TiVo collects anonymous viewing information. So let's label that (which undoubtably includes the To Do List). But we'll make the labels anonyomous. Have users set a password on the TiVo. This password, concated with your service number, then one-way hashed, becomes your TiVo's identification on the TiVo servers. I add the service number to decrease the chance of namespace collisions, but it could be the TiVo's name, your name or any of a lot of differnet things. Your To Do list is labeled with the hash. Since your TiVo never tells TiVo what the password is, TiVo can't reverse the hash and link usage and To Dos to people. When you login to TiVo Central to setup recordings, make it ask for your TiVo's password. The TiVo servers can then concact and hash to lookup your To Do list. The password is transient, like using a credit card number at a store, TiVo only keeps it as long as it needs to, so no privacy problems there. And finally we can see what's currently in the To Do when we try to remote schedule.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged