TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> 119 LNB Extremely Sensitive to Rain Fade <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Captain Spaulding is offline Old Post 05-20-2004 10:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Captain Spaulding Find more posts by Captain Spaulding Add Captain Spaulding to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Captain Spaulding

Question 119 LNB Extremely Sensitive to Rain Fade

Every time it rains, I lose the signal completely on 119. I lose HDNet and HBO HD. It then takes quite a while for the signal strength to recover, longer than it should. On clear days the signal is fine. When I do a system test during the outage, I get a message that says the right side of 119 can't be detected.

Could there be something wrong with my 119 LNB? Is there something else going on here?

Help Please! This is very frustrating!!!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

the-sloth is offline Old Post 05-20-2004 10:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for the-sloth Find more posts by the-sloth Add the-sloth to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
the-sloth
happy HR10250 owner.

since i swapped out my round dish for my oval dish i've noticed a HUGE difference... mine used to drop out only in the worst of storms.. now any time i get moderate rain, i get pixelation and drops. and all of my signal strengths are 93+ on all three sats.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

litzdog911 is offline Old Post 05-20-2004 10:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for litzdog911 Find more posts by litzdog911 Add litzdog911 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
litzdog911
TiVo Forum Special Member

It could be an aiming/alignment issue. What are your signal strengths on the 119-deg satellite when the weather is good?

Sony SAT-A4 Receiver (Bedroom)
Sony SAT-B4 Receiver (Rec Room)
Sony KV-40XBR800 HDTV
Sony STR-DA4ES Dolby Digital Receiver

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 05-20-2004 11:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

quote:
Originally posted by the-sloth
since i swapped out my round dish for my oval dish i've noticed a HUGE difference... mine used to drop out only in the worst of storms.. now any time i get moderate rain, i get pixelation and drops. and all of my signal strengths are 93+ on all three sats.

The eliptical dishes are a bit of a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none kind of thing. They sacrifice signal quality for aesthetics. They are a bit larger than the 1 satellite 18" dishes, but their focal area for each LNB is actually smaller.

You could put up 3 seperate dishes, pointed at each different orbital location, but few people want to have that hanging off their house.

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

litzdog911 is offline Old Post 05-20-2004 11:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for litzdog911 Find more posts by litzdog911 Add litzdog911 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
litzdog911
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by zaknafein
.... You could put up 3 seperate dishes, pointed at each different orbital location, but few people want to have that hanging off their house.

Oh, now it doesn't have to look *that* bad

Attachment: antennafarm1.jpg
This has been downloaded 200 time(s).

Sony SAT-A4 Receiver (Bedroom)
Sony SAT-B4 Receiver (Rec Room)
Sony KV-40XBR800 HDTV
Sony STR-DA4ES Dolby Digital Receiver

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Captain Spaulding is offline Old Post 05-21-2004 04:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Captain Spaulding Find more posts by Captain Spaulding Add Captain Spaulding to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Captain Spaulding

quote:
Originally posted by litzdog911
It could be an aiming/alignment issue. What are your signal strengths on the 119-deg satellite when the weather is good?

Depending on the transponder, signal strength is normally in the mid 70's to mid 80's.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nuke is offline Old Post 05-21-2004 04:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nuke Find more posts by nuke Add nuke to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nuke

It needs tweeking. Mine never fades and I have strengths up to the 90's on all 3 birds, depending on the xponder selected.

It could also be a weak LNB.

I'd start by checking the mast it is plumb with a bubble level and a little pre-loading weight to simulate the weight of the dish.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bdlucas is offline Old Post 05-21-2004 08:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bdlucas Find more posts by bdlucas Add bdlucas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bdlucas

Re: 119 LNB Extremely Sensitive to Rain Fade

quote:
Originally posted by Captain Spaulding
Every time it rains, I lose the signal completely on 119. ... It then takes quite a while for the signal strength to recover, longer than it should.

Have you checked your connections to see if they're well sealed against water? I once had a problem with "rain fade" that had gradually gotten worse over the course of a couple of years, and finally one of the LNBs appeared to stop working altogether. Traced it to a poorly sealed connection that had gradually corroded to the point that the center conductor broke. (I'm embarrased to say I replaced the LNB before thinking to check the cable and connections.) Your comment about recovery time sounds like it could be due to water getting into a connection and then taking some time to dry out.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

patjoy is offline Old Post 05-21-2004 07:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for patjoy Find more posts by patjoy Add patjoy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
patjoy

bdlucas,
One thing that you have to be aware of in the case of a leaky connector, is that the longer it is allowed to leak the more the coax is exposed to water. Coax can absorb the moisture and actually carry it down the coax via capillary action. This will eventually cause the coax to become more lossy and attenuate the signal more and more. Eventually requiring the replacement of the entire length of line. I have had this happen.

Pat

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged