TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> #1 HDTV OTA Setup as shown by Tivo Commun <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
scottchez is offline Old Post 05-28-2004 09:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for scottchez Find more posts by scottchez Add scottchez to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scottchez

#1 HDTV OTA Setup as shown by Tivo Commun

I read Hundreds of Posts here and took the average of what everyone was saying is the BEST Over the Air HDTV setup.

This is what I found, I tried several set ups. Your results will of course vary.
These are my personal observations.

For my Setup most channels are 20 Miles away. Some are 65 Miles away.
Some channels are 180 Degrees a apart most are only 30 Degrees apart.

Here is the best setup
======================

1- Silver sensor from Sears $39.95 -$5 off coupon (avl online)= $34.95

2- Channel Master 7777 Pre-amp from Warren electronics on sale for $49.95

3- Variable Attenuator from Radio Shack $8.95

======================================

Total= $93.85

Setup
=============================

Set the 7777 to UHF only mode (so the UHF jack is not shared with VHF). (This helps but is not required)

Set the Attenuator almost to Max, put your Silver Sensor in the Atic
turn it so most of the near by stations come in. Note it and then set the Attenuator so you get the max signal.

Then try for the 65 mile away station. Set the Attenuator to what is needed for max signal. Note the locations.

Then take the averages and move the Silver sensor and adjust the Attenuator so everything comes in. Tweak tweak tweak.

TWEAKING
============
Take a TV with you to the Atic. Use Coax from a VCR connected to the HD Tivo. Set the Tivo to 480i and normal screen mode.
Take a IR sending with you so you can channel channels while on the Signal Strength.
Tweak on different days as weather plays a role in the best signal.
Find whats best.

I now get all possible HD stations up to 65 Miles away and 180 degrees apart.

The bigger ants. just seems to make things worse (too much multi pathing).

Last edited by scottchez on 05-28-2004 at 10:08 PM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 05-28-2004 10:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

I'm going to work on dialing in my locals this weekend. I got a good price on the silver sensor, and it is doing magnificently, even without a preamp.

My problem is that one of my stations is VHF, so I need a good VHF antenna to pick that one up. Any recommendations?

You wanted to be free
And somewhere beyond the bitter end is where I wanna be

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scottchez is offline Old Post 05-28-2004 10:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for scottchez Find more posts by scottchez Add scottchez to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scottchez

Some have been also using the Silver Sensor for VHF if it is with in 30 Miles.

I get all my Standard Def VHF with it (dont have any HD on VHF to try).

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daperlman is offline Old Post 05-28-2004 10:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for daperlman Visit daperlman's homepage! Find more posts by daperlman Add daperlman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daperlman
sci-fi wasabi

quote:
Originally posted by zaknafein
I'm going to work on dialing in my locals this weekend. I got a good price on the silver sensor, and it is doing magnificently, even without a preamp.

My problem is that one of my stations is VHF, so I need a good VHF antenna to pick that one up. Any recommendations?

Silversensor or a good UHF antenna mounted on roof ought to tune it in. Unless it is very far.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 05-28-2004 10:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for zaknafein Visit zaknafein's homepage! Find more posts by zaknafein Add zaknafein to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
zaknafein
iddqd

Yeah, it's actually quite close (12 miles according to antennaweb) but I still only get about a 40 strength. I wouldn't even care that much about ABC, but I want to pull in the Stanley Cup finals...

You wanted to be free

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

OmarG is offline Old Post 05-28-2004 10:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for OmarG Visit OmarG's homepage! Find more posts by OmarG Add OmarG to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
OmarG

My Silver Sensor is picking up FOX VHF from about 12 miles out and it's a very low-power broadcast.

Obviously, it's also picking up all the UHF locals just fine.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daperlman is offline Old Post 05-28-2004 10:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for daperlman Visit daperlman's homepage! Find more posts by daperlman Add daperlman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daperlman
sci-fi wasabi

quote:
Yeah, it's actually quite close (12 miles according to antennaweb) but I still only get about a 40 strength. I wouldn't even care that much about ABC, but I want to pull in the Stanley Cup finals...
So I assume that you tried moving the antenna according to local station amp and putting antenna part in vertically (instead of horizontally or vice versa).

The 1st few days of my HD-TiVo I still hadn't fixed the CM-4221 on my roof and was using the Silver Sensor... on certain recordings NBC had a few short drops (but usually stayed at 70+), now with large CM on roof it is flawless. But moving the SS makes a huge difference (even an inch)

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 05-28-2004 11:05 PM
zaknafein
iddqd

quote:
Originally posted by daperlman
So I assume that you tried moving the antenna according to local station amp and putting antenna part in vertically (instead of horizontally or vice versa).

The 1st few days of my HD-TiVo I still hadn't fixed the CM-4221 on my roof and was using the Silver Sensor... on certain recordings NBC had a few short drops (but usually stayed at 70+), now with large CM on roof it is flawless. But moving the SS makes a huge difference (even an inch)

Interesting. I have tried gently rotating for signal, but hadn't tried a vertical mount.

You wanted to be free

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daperlman is offline Old Post 05-28-2004 11:12 PM
daperlman
sci-fi wasabi

quote:
Interesting. I have tried gently rotating for signal, but hadn't tried a vertical mount.
I mean pulling the antenna piece out and putting it together the other way.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

zaknafein is offline Old Post 05-28-2004 11:13 PM
zaknafein
iddqd

quote:
Originally posted by daperlman
I mean pulling the antenna piece out and putting it together the other way.

I follow you now. Good idea, I'll give it a shot.

You wanted to be free

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dstroot is offline Old Post 05-28-2004 11:20 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dstroot Find more posts by dstroot Add dstroot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dstroot

Very interesting - I use a very similar setup:

Silverstar in the attic with a Channelmaster 7775 amp but at this point no attenuator needed.

Seems to work great.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged