TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> 119 Satellite Down?? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Todd is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 05:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Find more posts by Todd Add Todd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd
C Me in a C6

Exclamation 119 Satellite Down??

I woke up this morning and none of my local via DirecTV worked. I checked the signal strengths and it's getting nothing from 119. What's going on? Are they switching to 7S this morning or is there a problem?

"Seriously, I think you are on the right track, but Todd is leading." - jsmeeker

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

midas is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 05:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for midas Find more posts by midas Add midas to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
midas
TiVo Forum Special Member

Interesting, I saw a post about this too over on AVS. But my locals are working fine.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Todd is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 06:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Todd Find more posts by Todd Add Todd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Todd
C Me in a C6

I just checked again and within the past few minutes, it's back up.

"Seriously, I think you are on the right track, but Todd is leading." - jsmeeker

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fluffybear is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 06:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fluffybear Find more posts by Fluffybear Add Fluffybear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fluffybear

Maybe DirecTV has begun transitioning existing 119 locals to 7S

I am sure the plan is to move everything off direcTV 5 prior to adding the new locals which are announced for June 4.

Philips PTV100 (Unmodified)
DirecTV HR10-250 (70 Hours HD)
Philips DSR6000 (106 Hours)
Sony SAT-T60 (146 Hours)
Hughes HDVR2 (unmodified)

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

herdfan is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 07:11 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for herdfan Find more posts by herdfan Add herdfan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
herdfan
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by midas
But my locals are working fine.

Your locals are on 101.

On a side note, did anyone TiVo Trading Spaces off Discovery HD Monday early morning. I had lots of pixelization and the episode only lasted 22 minutes.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chris Gerhard is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 07:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chris Gerhard Find more posts by Chris Gerhard Add Chris Gerhard to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris Gerhard

quote:
Originally posted by herdfan
Your locals are on 101.

On a side note, did anyone TiVo Trading Spaces off Discovery HD Monday early morning. I had lots of pixelization and the episode only lasted 22 minutes.

Those are signs you lost your signal, although you may already be aware of that. I didn't record it and couldn't tell if it was system wide but I doubt it. An extended rain fade results in recordings like that.

Chris

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kidjay is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 07:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kidjay Visit kidjay's homepage! Find more posts by kidjay Add kidjay to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kidjay

Re: 119 Satellite Down??

quote:
Originally posted by Todd
I woke up this morning and none of my local via DirecTV worked. I checked the signal strengths and it's getting nothing from 119. What's going on? Are they switching to 7S this morning or is there a problem?

Our satellite at 119 is fine we were doing some swapping. D7s will be up on Friday June 4th.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cheezmo is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 07:35 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cheezmo Visit Cheezmo's homepage! Find more posts by Cheezmo Add Cheezmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cheezmo

I wonder if that is why I found both my tuners on channel 201 this morning?

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BarneyTC is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 08:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BarneyTC Find more posts by BarneyTC Add BarneyTC to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BarneyTC

When will D5 start its trip from 119 to 82?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fluffybear is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 08:40 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fluffybear Find more posts by Fluffybear Add Fluffybear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fluffybear

quote:
Originally posted by BarneyTC
When will D5 start its trip from 119 to 82?

It should move to 72.5 once the transition to 7S is completed and the FCC gives final approval.

Philips PTV100 (Unmodified)
DirecTV HR10-250 (70 Hours HD)
Philips DSR6000 (106 Hours)
Sony SAT-T60 (146 Hours)
Hughes HDVR2 (unmodified)

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mchaney is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 09:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mchaney Find more posts by mchaney Add mchaney to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mchaney
Dude THERE'S my Tivo

For people in the Northeast, the 119 satellite was down this morning at least for some transponders. Strange yes, but 7S might have actually passed directly in front of the existing 119 for us on the east coast. Sounds unlikely due to the scale of things but I guess it's possible that the solar panels passed in front of the 119 transmitters and that might have cut a "swath" across the northeast/mid-atlantic like a lunar eclipse does. I checked at about 7:45 and it was completely down in Maryland and transponders 24, 28, and 32 started coming back online slowly (signal strength of about 50) and then the rest came back up by about 8:15am.

I'm still getting lower signal strength on a few of them right now but 7S (or something) drastically affected 119 reception this morning in the northeast/mid-atlantic region! Clear blue skies here with no wind and no trees in the way and I just installed a GainMaster dish that has been working fine except for that momentary blip this morning, so having just recently aimed and tested my dish, I'm a good indicator that there was definitely a regional problem this morning. Also having watched various transponders and what they were doing within that half hour, it definitely acted like something momentarily blocking the signal, not bad equipment, aiming, etc. It was something up yonder!

Mike

Last edited by mchaney on 06-01-2004 at 09:16 PM

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mchaney is offline Old Post 06-01-2004 09:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mchaney Find more posts by mchaney Add mchaney to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mchaney
Dude THERE'S my Tivo

Just confirmed that D* knows about the 119 issue in the northeast but apparently doesn't care about letting customers know it isn't an issue with their equipment:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/show...401#post3870401

At least we know.

Mike

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SteveWinNJ is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 10:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SteveWinNJ Find more posts by SteveWinNJ Add SteveWinNJ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SteveWinNJ

quote:
Originally posted by mchaney
For people in the Northeast, the 119 satellite was down this morning at least for some transponders. Strange yes, but 7S might have actually passed directly in front of the existing 119 for us on the east coast. Sounds unlikely due to the scale of things but I guess it's possible that the solar panels passed in front of the 119 transmitters and that might have cut a "swath" across the northeast/mid-atlantic like a lunar eclipse does.

This is exactly what happened. I have a contact at Space Systems Loral, and he confirmed what you speculated about 7S passing in front of 5, causing a disruption of service from 119.

By the way, the cutover to 7S will begin Thursday night at Midnight Pacific time ( 3AM EDT). They will start with nationals, then about 20 minutes later they will do the spots.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ed Campbell is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 06:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ed Campbell Find more posts by Ed Campbell Add Ed Campbell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ed Campbell

What's this about moving a bird to 82? Will this eventually require repositioning our dishes? Not that I'd mind. Getting away from 119 means moving further away from some trees that are still getting taller.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kidjay is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 08:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kidjay Visit kidjay's homepage! Find more posts by kidjay Add kidjay to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kidjay

quote:
Originally posted by SteveWinNJ
Nothing was "swapped" yet. The degradation in signal was from 7S passing front of Directv 5.

The switchover will begin at midnight Thursday night PDT/ 3 AM Friday EDT. First the nationals will switch over, then the spots about 20 minutes later.

Kidjay is kidding only himself with his "inside knowledge" posts!

You know I have been reading this forum for a few months now and I see hundreds of rumors and a bunch of false information, but I have never once checked anyone on it, because this is a open forum where people can speak freely. Obviously, I have a bunch on information that I can speak on and some info that I can not speak on, but this one time I'm going to have stop this guy SteveWinNJ from giving good people of this forum the wronge info only because you are trying to blast me!

#1-D7s never past in front of D5, think about it, (Loral who fly's our birds would never fly one satellite in front of another, this is just someone starting more rumors). And if this was the case of D7S flying in front of D5 it would take HOURS, and more HOURS to move it out of the way. And those paticular locals were not down that long. What really happen is that D7s is close enough to D5 and testing on D7s was being conducted at that time. D7s is much more powerful than D5 and it was overpowering the smaller/weaker bird. After we realized what was happening, we stop the testing at that time and D5 came back online...

Kidjay is kidding only himself with his "inside knowledge" posts!
Not only do I work at the Directv broadcast center, I was here when all of this happened. So much for you theory of me kidding myself of inside knowledge.

#2-And that evening we were doing an BOC swap which is internal and it doesn't effect the customers. I never said we were doing a satellite swap, and I noted that the satellite swap was going to happen on Friday June 4th, pay attention before you start bashing people!

I'm a big fan of Tivo and much more bigger fan of HDTivo, and if I can help clear up rumors or pass on information I will, (some stuff I can not say because of my job) but I'm here to help, but people like this SteveWinNJ, he is here not to help but to step on people whenever he can and these are the people that should be banned!

SteveWinNJ, if you have something to respond to this please do it in a private message to me and leave the open forum for useful information!

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

maharg18 is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 08:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for maharg18 Find more posts by maharg18 Add maharg18 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maharg18

quote:
Originally posted by Ed Campbell
What's this about moving a bird to 82? Will this eventually require repositioning our dishes? Not that I'd mind. Getting away from 119 means moving further away from some trees that are still getting taller.

Actually it's not 82 but instead 72.5. They are wanting to move Directv 5, which is being replaced by Directv 7s, and want to put more new local markets on it. People in those new markets will need a second dish to receive their locals. 101, 110, and 119 will remain as they are now.

HR10-250 HD Directivo
DSR704 SD Directivo

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mchaney is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 10:19 PM
mchaney
Dude THERE'S my Tivo

quote:
Originally posted by kidjay
#1-D7s never past in front of D5, think about it, (Loral who fly's our birds would never fly one satellite in front of another, this is just someone starting more rumors). And if this was the case of D7S flying in front of D5 it would take HOURS, and more HOURS to move it out of the way. And those paticular locals were not down that long. What really happen is that D7s is close enough to D5 and testing on D7s was being conducted at that time. D7s is much more powerful than D5 and it was overpowering the smaller/weaker bird. After we realized what was happening, we stop the testing at that time and D5 came back online...

I'm not trying to dispute you and I'll take you at your word, but...

Interference certainly makes sense, although if 7S was turned off and testing stopped as you say, all transponders should have bounced back immediately which is not what happened. They came back on pretty slowly and erratically. In addition, unless you were testing only spot beams that affect the east coast, it doesn't follow that interference would have been so localized to the northeast/midatlantic. I think alignment of the satellites was probably an issue and the reason the problem was localized to the east coast is because 7S was still on the move at the time of the problem and the two satellites aligned (one basically in front/behind the other) with respect to parts of the east coast and that's when the signals overlapped. This would make more sense based on the signal strength readings which I watched for about a half hour: they gradually came back on line and gradually got better, indicating that the alignment of the two satellites with respect to me was starting to get disrupted. This theory would also follow based on other reports in the northeast/mid-atlantic since reports in different states had the "phenomenon" occuring at slightly different times, indicating that alignment of the two satellites with respect to a particular spot on the ground was definitely an issue.

Also, I don't follow your logic about Loral not being "dumb enough" (so to speak) to allow one satellite to pass in front of another... yet... they were dumb enough not to know that operating a new satellite "over the shoulder" of another on the same frequencies was going to cause interference???

Finally, I completely disagree with your statement that it would take "hours" for the satellite to pass by and for a signal to come back. That satellite was moving a good fraction of a degree every hour at the time and a fraction of a degree every hour is a helluva long distance at 22,000 miles up! I'd think the opposite... that maybe it wouldn't have lasted as long as it did at the rate it was moving. I don't think you have your facts right on that one.

Again, not to dispute you, since I agree that the satellite passing directly in front of the old D5 was very unlikely and even if they wanted that to happen, it would be extremely difficult to get one satellite to pass directly in front of another in orbit unless they were intentionally trying to get them that close.

Mike

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SteveWinNJ is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 10:37 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SteveWinNJ Find more posts by SteveWinNJ Add SteveWinNJ to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SteveWinNJ

Just trying to share info from my brother who works for Space Systems Loral. I'm not trying to pretend I know all the technical terms, but it was explained to my by my brother like this:

The Launch Chase team is the part of Space Systems Loral that has controlling 7S after orbit. They have been testing for several weeks. They still had control of the sat when it "flew" in front of Directv5. My signal for HDNET here on the east coast was very degraded the other night and early morning so I called my brother and bitched him out about screwing up 119.

The Space Systems Loral unit that normally operates the sats are in El Dorado Hills, CA. At midnight pacific time Thursday night, Friday 3 AM for us east coasters, they will start moving the national feeds onto 7S. That is supposed to take about 20 minutes. After that they will start working on the spot beams.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SteveWinNJ is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 10:42 PM
SteveWinNJ

quote:
Originally posted by kidjay

#1-D7s never past in front of D5, think about it, (Loral who fly's our birds would never fly one satellite in front of another, this is just someone starting more rumors). And if this was the case of D7S flying in front of D5 it would take HOURS, and more HOURS to move it out of the way. And those paticular locals were not down that long.

It was several hours and we're not just talking about locals kid; HDNET is on 119. That's how I was effected here on the east coast. The signal was degraded for several hours. It was done by the launch chase team at Loral. The "regular" operators of the sats in El Dorado Hills take over tonight.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged