TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> 2 HR10-250 box unopened seal intact avail LA/OC <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JohnF is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 08:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnF Find more posts by JohnF Add JohnF to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnF

2 HR10-250 box unopened seal intact avail LA/OC

I have 2 HR10-250 units unopened with the DirecTV seal intact that I will most likely make available this weekend.

This is the situation:

I have a unit that I received in April and recently decided to get a second unit. I arranged for a friend to pick up one for me in Virginia. The same day he picked it up, some units became available in So Cal. I decided to get one in case the unit from Virginia was defective and also decided to get another because I have some friends who expressed interest.

Iíve had the unit from Virginia for a week and all is well, so I believe there will not be problems with it at least in the near-term. And my friends turned out to be not the early adapters I thought they might be. So I have 2 units available.

The only way I will not make them available is if while they are still in my possession, my Virginia unit goes bad. At this point it is unlikely, but if it happens, I will open one of the units and hold onto the other one for a week.

I want to keep this local. I have spoken with the retail store where I purchased them. They have advised me that if I return the units and someone comes to the store with me, they can purchase the unit(s). This would be much cleaner for both of us. I would not be concerned about any activation fees or be liable if there were any problems with the units. Also, the purchaser would have an original bill of sale. Price is regular retail $999.99 plus tax.

If the units go to different people, we will probably want to figure out a time when we can all meet at the store in OC.

PM if interested.

John

These units are now spoken for.

Last edited by JohnF on 06-04-2004 at 07:16 PM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Tivogre is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 09:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Tivogre Find more posts by Tivogre Add Tivogre to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Tivogre

A cautionary tale...

BE CAREFUL with the return and buy. I tried this with a friend her in Northern Virginia at Circuit City.

While they SAID they could do this... process a return from me and then immediately sell the unit to my friend, in practice, they couldn't.

Their "reason" was that becasue that had none in stock, it would take ~8 hours for their computer to "recognize" that they had one. They claimed there was no way to sell it until it showed in their inventory.

We had to make the manager SWEAR to hold the unit under lock and key overnight; my friend had to go back and get the unit the next morning.

In the end, it all worked out... my friend got the store manager to give him 10% off for his trouble, and their screw-up; I got a copy of his receipt and got a 110% price match

He got his for $899; I got mine for $885.

Pronto Neo Remote
Sony SAT-A4 (Bedroom)
Sony SAT-B4 (Rec Room)
Panamax MAX8 DBS+5 Surge Protectors and UPSs everywhere!

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnF is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 09:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnF Find more posts by JohnF Add JohnF to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnF

Good point - I called twice and spoke to manager and a salesperson - both said no problem, but as you point out, there are always potential pitfalls.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dwynne is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 10:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dwynne Find more posts by dwynne Add dwynne to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dwynne

The most they can charge you back is $150 if the box is not authorized in 30 days. So you could sell these to "anyone" and make then pay you what you have in them, plus a $150 "deposit". If after 90 days (or so) you don't see any charge back on your CC, then you could return the deposit.

No wonder I can't find one to buy, you have THREE

Dennis

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnF is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 10:23 AM
JohnF

quote:
Originally posted by dwynne

No wonder I can't find one to buy, you have THREE

Dennis

Actually 4 if you count my original.

But at least they will go to forum members!

The $150 deposit would be a way to handle the activation fee. I'm also concerned if a unit were DOA or had a problem that showed up within a few days. While most forum members are fair and reasonable, I worry about being hassled - and if you read the big thread, you know some forum members are quite capable of that.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CarlC is offline Old Post 06-03-2004 11:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for CarlC Find more posts by CarlC Add CarlC to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CarlC

YGPM

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

spackletoe is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 12:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for spackletoe Find more posts by spackletoe Add spackletoe to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
spackletoe

I can't find one in SoCal! Where did you get them? You have connections or something? I just want one. But I'd like to get it through a store that I can return it to if it has problems.

-spack

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dstroot is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 12:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dstroot Find more posts by dstroot Add dstroot to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dstroot

JohnF - I am in San Diego and Interested! Unfortunately I am in Palm Springs this weekend. If you have one available still next week I bet I could make it work.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CarlC is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 04:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for CarlC Find more posts by CarlC Add CarlC to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CarlC

John, Please check your PM. I've left you a PM last night for one of the units. Thanks.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

fredfa is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 05:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for fredfa Find more posts by fredfa Add fredfa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
fredfa

guys check the cc website
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?oid=93509
at the moment they have them available.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

hatty is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 07:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for hatty Find more posts by hatty Add hatty to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
hatty

They show you can order, but It shows out of stocki when you check out

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnF is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 08:00 AM
JohnF

To those I owe a PM - will be later tonight. Gotta run to a meeting.

John

These units are now spoken for.

Last edited by JohnF on 06-04-2004 at 07:17 PM

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BertMan is offline Old Post 06-04-2004 12:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BertMan Visit BertMan's homepage! Find more posts by BertMan Add BertMan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BertMan

I'm interested too if still available. I'm in OC as well so this may work out if you still have it! I just PM'd you...

Mitsubishi 65" HDTV
Samsung SIR-S4120R
Sony DTR-895
Sonance HT speakers
HTM MX-500 remote to operate all HT components

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged