TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> HMO does not work when user is not logged onto pc <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
FatRaiderFan is offline Old Post 06-07-2004 03:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for FatRaiderFan Find more posts by FatRaiderFan Add FatRaiderFan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FatRaiderFan

HMO does not work when user is not logged onto pc

I like the HMO feature, but the problem I have is that I must be logged onto the pc where my music files are located for the tivo's hmo option to work. Can I get around this? I would like to be able to listen the music files or look at the photos without having to be logged on as a user on the PC where the music or photo files are stored. I have Sharing set on the music files. I use WIN2k on all of the boxes on my network. Any user on any box on my network can listen to my music files using Realplayer, for example, whether or not I am logged on. But TiVO can not get at the files unless the user that owns the files is logged on.Is this a limitation of HMO or do I not have my sharing or network settings correct?

FatRaiderFan

Last edited by FatRaiderFan on 06-07-2004 at 04:00 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jdr5 is offline Old Post 06-07-2004 12:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for jdr5 Visit jdr5's homepage! Find more posts by jdr5 Add jdr5 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jdr5
Real Men Pull Cable

It is a limitation of the Tivo Desktop -- it only runs when somebody logs on. The TIVO does not access media files via network file sharing. It accesses the files through a server program that must be running. Unless you can get the TivoServer and TivoBeacon program running before you login to the computer, you are out of luck.

But why is this really a problem? You can create a low priority account and have the computer automatically login on power up.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 06-07-2004 08:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

quote:
Originally posted by jdr5
It is a limitation of the Tivo Desktop -- it only runs when somebody logs on.
FWIW -- this isn't true with the Macintosh version of TiVo Desktop.

In fact, each user's music and photos are available at the same time (assuming that they have it enabled under their own particular user account -- each account has it's own settings in regard to what is being shared as well as the name placed onto the Music and Photos area on the TiVo)

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Grank is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 08:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Grank Find more posts by Grank Add Grank to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Grank

I have no idea if this will solve your problem but it may. There is a way to run programs as services in NT based OS's. I help admin a few game servers for Unreal Tournament based games and remembered seeing a tutorial on this.

www,unrealadmin.org/forums/showthread.php?t=28

The program is @ www,firedaemon.com/

If you successfully get it running as a service it shouldn't need a user to be logged in for it to work. It should start up at start up.

I've never used this method but it may solve your problem.

Good luck.

*edit*
ugh it won't let me post links until I've made 3 posts and since this is my first post I'll replace a few dots with commas.

*edit 2*
If you have these files shared from several different systems then you can easily work around the HMO's problem with shares by mapping the shares as drives. Open up My Computer, Tools, Map a Network Drive.

Last edited by Grank on 06-10-2004 at 08:23 AM

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

boettcht is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 07:44 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for boettcht Find more posts by boettcht Add boettcht to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
boettcht
Who's there?

FatRaiderFan,

I wrote up instructions here on how to make HMO a service for windows.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...hlight=boettcht

Or you could use JavaHMO:
http://javahmo.sourceforge.net/

Hope this helps.

Upgraded 196 hr
TiVo Series2 40 hr

I did absolutely nothing and it was everything and more than I expected!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BSUGrad is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 07:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BSUGrad Find more posts by BSUGrad Add BSUGrad to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BSUGrad
Volleyball Rulez!

I would recommend JavaHMO. I started using it for this very purpose. You do not need to be logged in to the computer for it to work.

Anyone without a sense of humor is at the mercy of the rest of us!

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tralfaz is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 09:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tralfaz Find more posts by tralfaz Add tralfaz to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tralfaz

JavaHMO

JavaHMO is great. I applaud the authors. It's wonderful that I can even add my own features (being a java programmer).

Too bad that, like all Tomcat based applications, it eats 150MB of memory standing still.

Buy yourself some more memory.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sheureka is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 09:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sheureka Find more posts by sheureka Add sheureka to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sheureka

I've been trying to install JavaHMO and keep getting a message that says "The setup is about to be interrupted for the following reason: The JRE setup as been abnormally interrupted."

Any ideas? - sheureka

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 07:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

Re: JavaHMO

quote:
Originally posted by tralfaz
JavaHMO is great. I applaud the authors. It's wonderful that I can even add my own features (being a java programmer).

Too bad that, like all Tomcat based applications, it eats 150MB of memory standing still.

Buy yourself some more memory.

I am currently working on version 2.0 of JavaHMO which should have significantly less memory requirements.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

javahmo is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 07:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for javahmo Visit javahmo's homepage! Find more posts by javahmo Add javahmo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
javahmo
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by sheureka
I've been trying to install JavaHMO and keep getting a message that says "The setup is about to be interrupted for the following reason: The JRE setup as been abnormally interrupted."

Any ideas? - sheureka

Check that you dont have any other Java processes running at the time.
If you have another JRE already installed, uninstall that and try again.

If all fails, you might have to install JavaHMO manually:
http://javahmo.sourceforge.net//faq.html#manual

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sheureka is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 07:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sheureka Find more posts by sheureka Add sheureka to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sheureka

Unhappy

Now I'm getting a "Failed to extract file 'RegUtils' from the binary table" error. I've tried to uninstall JRE and I get the same error. I'm giving up. - sheureka

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

FatRaiderFan is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 06:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for FatRaiderFan Find more posts by FatRaiderFan Add FatRaiderFan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
FatRaiderFan

Java HMO wins out

Thanks to all of you for the ideas and help. I tried running the fixes to the Tivo Publisher, but could never get it to work right. Then I downloaded and installed the Java HMO. Great results. Music and Photos 24/7 regardless of who is looged on or if anyone is logged on.

Now I must try to figure out how to get my weather instead of Chicago all the time and how I can get a game to work.

Thanks again for all of the help.

FatRaiderFan

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged