TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> pace twin - any good? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
deshepherd is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 01:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for deshepherd Find more posts by deshepherd Add deshepherd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deshepherd

pace twin - any good?

First to be clear, I've had a TiVo on our main TV for 3 years and I wouldn't want to be without it - I've upgraded HDD and added TurboNet etc so I'm a definite TiVo-tee.

However, we're just about to get a new TV aerial + aerial points in various extra rooms in our house and I'm intending over time to get freeview boxes for each TV (we already have one for the kids TV to help alleviate the CBBC vs CBeebies arguments!)

Just noticed that the price of Pace Twin boxes have come down to an almost "reasonable" level (i.e. around £100 more than a simple freeview box).

Anyone got any views of whether this extra spend is worth it.... note that I have two children aged 4 and 8 who find the conceptr of TV that can't be paused/rewound completely alien + having an extra recording device (we have a VCR but we've not recorded on it for over a year and when we did we got the wrong program as we'd not chanegd its clock for summer time!) seems useful for the occasional program clashes.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Automan is offline Old Post 06-09-2004 02:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Automan Visit Automan's homepage! Find more posts by Automan Add Automan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Automan
TiVo Forum Special Member

I would check out the competition first.
Other freeview PVR's are much the same price and may work better.

http://www.digitalradiotech.co.uk/freeview_rx.htm for some alternate PVR's.

Also http://www.humaxdigital.com/products/pvr-8000t.htm for the Humax model.

Automan.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Rolnikov is offline Old Post 06-10-2004 11:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Rolnikov Find more posts by Rolnikov Add Rolnikov to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Rolnikov

I've got one and it's handy for occasional clashes, and useful to have as a permanent pipe of CBeebies, but if you're considering getting it for the children to use, I'm not certain I would recommend it.

One thing to note is that there isn't an automatic buffer, and you can't even rewind after using live pause, which is very frustrating for someone used to tivo.

It's also very very fiddly compared to tivo, with buttons doing different things in different situations - e.g. to get out of some screens you have to press Exit, others you have to press Return. If you press Library twice, it doesn't toggle you in and out of it (unlike most of its other buttons), it starts showing the first programme in the list. And the various function buttons, like Guide, Library and Timer List, only work from live tv, not from within each other. But someone using it regularly would probably get used to those things.

Having said all that, I do get quite a lot of use from it, mainly from recording BBC programmes that clash with Sky One (though that can be very frustrating because you can only set up recurring recordings, not proper season passes as yet), or for watching special one-off events like football or Eurovision.

It has an excellent programme list function, where you can choose the channels you want and arrange them in the order you want, and you can have up to six of them, I think, so you can have one for each member of the family, or by theme, all easily accessible by pressing left/right - for example, we have one for Day channels, one for Night channels, and one for Radio.

It also has twin tuners, unlike the other freeview pvrs that I'm aware of, so you can record and watch at the same time. It can't record two programmes at once itself, and is unlikely to be able to (you can't delete a programme while it's recording, so people think it is limited to one hard drive action at a time or something), but you can set a timer event for two programmes at once, and tell it to output the second tuner to a video or tv. You can in theory connect it to two tvs at once showing different programmes. You can also choose which of the tuners to output to the rf lead.

It also works pretty well in tandem with the tivo - the tivo plugs into the back of it and it defaults to pass-thru mode.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

leejordan is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 02:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for leejordan Find more posts by leejordan Add leejordan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leejordan

I'd just like to agree with everything that Rolnikov just said.

I've just bought one cos Comet's were selling it cheap at £138. The remote control is a pain because there are too many buttons.

There are various threads over on Digital Spy where people moan about it's faults, but generally it works well. There was a software update broadcast last week. The latest version is 1.7.60, which fixes some things and makes other things worse.

The only things that annoys me are that when you pause a live broadcast you can't then rewind it, and the fact that there is an Exit AND a Return button on the remote, WHY?

Lee.

Airnet
Pace Twin PVR
Panasonic TX-28DT4 IDTV

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ozsat is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 06:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ozsat Find more posts by ozsat Add ozsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ozsat
Very Nice Moderator

I use the Pace Twins for recording digital radio (and viewing local ITV1 which isn't available on D-Sat). The quality of the BBC audio channels on DTT is far better than DAB or D-Sat on TiVo + it automatically records the programme synopsis etc.

There are a few poor points for a PVR - but it should be a lot better once the national rollout of the EPG happens.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

deshepherd is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 07:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for deshepherd Find more posts by deshepherd Add deshepherd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
deshepherd

Thanks for the various feedback.

The Humax 8000T looks interesting but the lack of ability "watch something else while it records" sort of rules it out ... as main users of this are likely to be my children then "sorry you can't watch this as its recording something for your brother" is no advance over the current "sorry you cannot watch something on the TiVo because your brother is already watching his program!"

The new Thomson and Fusion boxes look interesting as well but the cost over a plian freeview box doesn't seem justified since for me its purely a secondary unit.

BTW, when (and where) were Comet selling the Pace fort £138 ... I had a look in the Cribbs Causeway (Bristol) branch and there was no sign of the Pace box at all. However at the £180-ish price that its at at various online places then I think I can justify the increment over a plain FV box .... having a steady stream of CBeebies etc would be a benefit! Had Comet had any at £138 then I'd have bought one already!

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pr1uk is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 07:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pr1uk Find more posts by pr1uk Add pr1uk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pr1uk
Advanced Member

I have a Pace Twin updated with 80GB disk and i think, sorry chaps the picture and sound are far better then TiVo. Also for the price there going for if anyone was after a freeview box they are well worth the little extra.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ozsat is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 07:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ozsat Find more posts by ozsat Add ozsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ozsat
Very Nice Moderator

The picture and sound are great but the biggest drawback (at the moment) is no EPG - unless you are in London.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pr1uk is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 03:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pr1uk Find more posts by pr1uk Add pr1uk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pr1uk
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by ozsat
The picture and sound are great but the biggest drawback (at the moment) is no EPG - unless you are in London.

perhaps one day after the tests in london we may get a better EPG

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

leejordan is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 06:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for leejordan Find more posts by leejordan Add leejordan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
leejordan

quote:
Originally posted by pr1uk
perhaps one day after the tests in london we may get a better EPG

The EPG on the Pace has been limited to 4 days rather than 7 by Pace, for some strange reason. Also, it takes an absolute AGE to load, many minutes for all the channels, but that's probably not Pace's fault. Radio still seems stuck at Now and Next.

It's still pretty good though

Now I've got it I'm surprised how much I use it as well as my trusty Tivo.

I'm sure there are better boxes out there now, you'd hope so after this amount of time, but if you can pick it up cheap I'd say it's worth it.

Lee.

Airnet
Pace Twin PVR
Panasonic TX-28DT4 IDTV

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged