TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> Why HMO is Worthless (For Me) <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
wmccain is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 06:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for wmccain Visit wmccain's homepage! Find more posts by wmccain Add wmccain to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

Why HMO is Worthless (For Me)

About a month ago, the HMO suddenly appeared on my Series 2 standalone TiVo as an unsolicited "free trial". (I already had that TiVo connected to a 100baseT Ethernet LAN, and the home LAN has a high-speed Internet connection.) I guess now the HMO is permanent, as they have made the features "standard". Presumably, this was because they had little success in getting folks to pay for it.

"Your mileage may vary", but for me the HMO is virtually worthless. Here's why:

1. I have no use whatsoever for MP3 music files. I am a classical music fan, and as far as I am concerned compressed audio is garbage.

2. I don't do photos, but the female unit in my household is a BIG fan of digital photography (and she is by far the heaviest TiVo user). So we dutifully installed the TiVo software on her iMac and tried out the feature. It worked "as advertised", and I admit the UI (like all of TiVo) is well-designed. But neither of us could see any reason to show her photo collection on the "big screen" except perhaps on rare occasions. And her digital camera already has the ability to connect to a TV set.

3. I am semi-retired, and I sometimes spend a couple of days a week at an office about a hour's drive from my house. But the "lady of the house" does all the TiVo scheduling, so the remote scheduling feature is of no value. (I tried it from my office anyway, just for grins, and it does appear to work.)

4. The Multi-Room Viewing feature is potentially of great value to us. I have three TiVos now, and a fourth (the HD model) on order. BUT, only one of those four TiVos is a Series 2 standalone. One is a Series 1 standalone (I was a very early adopter, I special-ordered a 30-hour version when they were first introduced; of course, I have long-since upgraded it to two much larger hard drives). The other two are DirecTiVo models (SD and HD).

Last edited by wmccain on 06-11-2004 at 06:21 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 06:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitsap Find more posts by kitsap Add kitsap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitsap
TiVo Forum Special Member

Even though they're no longer calling it the "Home Media Option," you can still "opt out" of using it.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wmccain is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 07:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for wmccain Visit wmccain's homepage! Find more posts by wmccain Add wmccain to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

quote:
Originally posted by kitsap
Even though they're no longer calling it the "Home Media Option," you can still "opt out" of using it.

Yeah, I know that.

But the "great tragedy" IMHO is the (current) lack of usability of the Multi-Room Viewing feature, especially in a home with so many TiVos. I can understand (almost) why the feature set of the Series 1 would be "frozen" (although I suspect that its processor, albeit slower, could handle streaming of MPEG2 video over a LAN).

If only the Multi-Room Viewing feature were available for my DirecTiVos. (Sigh.) I signed the petition (long ago), but I'm not holding my breath ...

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 07:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitsap Find more posts by kitsap Add kitsap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitsap

Yeah, from my perspective, MRV is definitely the coolest part of the whole thing. It is really convenient. I empathize with your wish that it would become available to you!

Series 1s don't have the USB port, right? I know there are "other ways" of networking those units, but it's really unlikely that Tivo would adapt its system to accommodate those. As for DirectTV ... well, I think those DTV people might just be eeevul!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ditch is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 07:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ditch Visit ditch's homepage! Find more posts by ditch Add ditch to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ditch
Couch PoTiVo

Re: Why HMO is Worthless (For Me)

quote:
Originally posted by wmccain

4. The Multi-Room Viewing feature is potentially of great value to us. I have three TiVos now, and a fourth (the HD model) on order. BUT, only one of those four TiVos is a Series 2 standalone. One is a Series 1 standalone (I was a very early adopter, I special-ordered a 30-hour version when they were first introduced; of course, I have long-since upgraded it to two much larger hard drives). The other two are DirecTiVo models (SD and HD).

Don't know if this would help but, it can be done for under a $100 (W/O the remote.)

Multi-Room viewing no matter what series you have.

Multi-room viewing w/o Ethernet or a Computer, Series 1 or 2

My other obsession: Chevy Avalanche Fan Club

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wmccain is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 07:32 AM
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

quote:
Originally posted by kitsap
Series 1s don't have the USB port, right?

My Series 1 has a TurboNet card, which adds the requisite Ethernet port. And, as improbable as it may seem now, TiVo actually added support for this third-party add-on to the Series 1. (Those were the days ...)

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wmccain is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 07:40 AM
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

quote:
Originally posted by ditch
Don't know if this would help but, it can be done for under a $100 ...

Actually, I am already doing exactly what the referenced post suggests. Via various combinations of RGBHV, video, and (modulated) RF cables, two of my TiVos can currently be viewed in the Master Bedroom and all three (one more on order) can be viewed on an LCD panel in the kitchen.

But the Multi-Room Viewing feature would be much slicker and more flexible ...

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ditch is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 08:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ditch Visit ditch's homepage! Find more posts by ditch Add ditch to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ditch
Couch PoTiVo

quote:
Actually, I am already doing exactly what the referenced post suggests. Via various combinations of RGBHV, video, and (modulated) RF cables,

Have you run into any trouble with signal loss due to cable length?

The reason I ask is we are going to move before the end of the year. If the bedroom is further away, I think I might have to use a multi-tap Cable Amplifier (not Radio, Snack). I'm currently using a single one in the living room, due to having a 4-way splitter. Two for the Tivos, and two for the PIP on the TV's. The PIP option will accept other inputs, but they are already being used by the TiVo's, DVD, VCR, etc.

Ditch

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wmccain is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 08:49 AM
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

quote:
Have you run into any trouble with signal loss due to cable length?

No, but it is certainly an element that one must consider when designing "whole house" distribution.

The most "distance-capable" option is RF; and for that, a high-end house typically uses an array of stereo UHF modulators made by Channel Master, Channel Vision, or Channel Plus. (There's even an inexpensive stereo VHF modulator at Radio Shack now that's not too bad.)

But of course, the video and audio quality of RF has major limitations. I only use it myself when other options are impractical. My TiVo Series 2 is in my Living Room/Home Theater, connected to a Faroudja line doubler, and from that I have a 65' RGBHV run to my kitchen (and a separate stereo connection to a whole-house audio system that covers the kitchen). To minimize signal loss, I use five individual RG6 cables for the 65' RGBHV run. Works fine!

For HD, I have yet another three RG6 cables that cover the same 65' for component video (the LCD panel in the kitchen supports the HDTV scan frequencies, and interlaced video such as 1080i, only on a component connection, even though it actually supports higher scan rates on the RGBHV and DVI inputs).

There are also repeaters available that convert video to and from fiber optics, though I am not currently using that technology. My most aggressive connection currently is an 8-meter dual-link DVI cable. Pushes the spec a bit, but it works okay as long as you make sure the refresh rate is not more than 60 Hz.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ditch is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 09:15 AM
ditch
Couch PoTiVo

quote:
No, but it is certainly an element that one must consider when designing "whole house" distribution.

The most "distance-capable" option is RF; and for that, a high-end house typically uses an array of stereo UHF modulators made by Channel Master, Channel Vision, or Channel Plus. (There's even an inexpensive stereo VHF modulator at Radio Shack now that's not too bad.)

But of course, the video and audio quality of RF has major limitations. I only use it myself when other options are impractical. My TiVo Series 2 is in my Living Room/Home Theater, connected to a Faroudja line doubler, and from that I have a 65' RGBHV run to my kitchen (and a separate stereo connection to a whole-house audio system that covers the kitchen). To minimize signal loss, I use five individual RG6 cables for the 65' RGBHV run. Works fine!

For HD, I have yet another three RG6 cables that cover the same 65' for component video (the LCD panel in the kitchen supports the HDTV scan frequencies, and interlaced video such as 1080i, only on a component connection, even though it actually supports higher scan rates on the RGBHV and DVI inputs).

There are also repeaters available that convert video to and from fiber optics, though I am not currently using that technology. My most aggressive connection currently is an 8-meter dual-link DVI cable. Pushes the spec a bit, but it works okay as long as you make sure the refresh rate is not more than 60 Hz.

Damn! Have you ever thought about your own Cable co. or Network re-Broadcasting co.?

Sean

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wmccain is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 09:52 AM
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

quote:
Damn! Have you ever thought about your own Cable co. or Network re-Broadcasting co.?

In fact, there are many "private cable systems" that serve apartment complexes, universities, and other such institutions. Even some "rich people's estates" have their own "dish farms" and "cable head-ends". And maybe a few not-so-rich dilettantes ...

On Zap2It, Yahoo, etc., check out my zip code (94301) and look for such a private cable system (it's not hard to spot — Hint: it's not "Comcast"). Since Tribune Media Services (aka "Zap2It") supplies the TV listings to TiVo and ReplayTV, these private cable systems are supported by those DVRs as well.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bsnelson is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 10:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bsnelson Visit bsnelson's homepage! Find more posts by bsnelson Add bsnelson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bsnelson

Hell, I've got a dish farm! Doesn't two 18 inchers, a 30 incher and a full size Yagi count?

Now, if I could only get with that "rich people" thing...

Brad

(1) Samsung SIR4040R (35 hours)

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wmccain is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 12:03 AM
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

quote:
Originally posted by bsnelson
Hell, I've got a dish farm! Doesn't two 18 inchers, a 30 incher and a full size Yagi count?

Nah! You need a few BUDs ...

(For the uninitiated, BUD stands for "Big Ugly Dish", typically around 10 feet in diameter, used for C-band and Ku-band satellite reception.)

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wmccain is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 10:00 AM
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

Well, the good news is that TiVo finally reduced the price of the HMO to exactly what I was willing to pay for it ...

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ditch is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 10:20 AM
ditch
Couch PoTiVo

quote:
Well, the good news is that TiVo finally reduced the price of the HMO to exactly what I was willing to pay for it ...

ROTF

Me too. I still don't know when I'll ever use it.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged