TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Suggestion Avenue
>>> Power HMO <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Laurence is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 08:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Laurence Find more posts by Laurence Add Laurence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Laurence

Power HMO

I just found the free HMO option and was initially thrilled with the idea of being able to use Tivo as my music control and distribution network.
I loaded the server and began browsing my music files in a matter minutes thanks to a simple setup process.

However, I quickly ran some limitations and so here are some suggestions to make the service far more flexible and powerful.

1) Provide Playlist creation, management and playback features. I use an iPod with iTunes both of which have fabulous playlist capabilities. Apples is not alone here. Virtually all music playback hardware and software provides playlist functionality.

2) Provide playback of more than just MP3 format files. As I mentioned, I store my music in iTunes that allows me to use the AAC and AIFF lossless formats. Hence I suggest that Tivo support these common formats.

By adding these two features, Tivo has the opportunity to be a market leader in the computer to TV and audio interface market. Currently, there are only a few players in the networked audio arena, notable of which are Slim Devices, who provide a good wireless audio device called a Squeezbox, and Turtlebeach who have a newtorkable MP3 audio component called the Audiotron. Neither of these two leaders (at least in my opinion) have really produced the ideal audio system, nor do they have any video capabilities. Most notable is the fact that they cost much more than Tivo.

Provision of the above suggestions would make Tivo even more indispensable and essential to the modern home. I sure hope they are in the pipeline.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

HTH is offline Old Post 06-11-2004 10:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for HTH Visit HTH's homepage! Find more posts by HTH Add HTH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
HTH
No Avatar Selected

HMF

If you are dissatisfied with your life, return unused portion for partial refund.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cloud is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 11:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cloud Find more posts by Cloud Add Cloud to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cloud

Need WMA support!!!!!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hunter Green is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 08:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hunter Green Visit Hunter Green's homepage! Find more posts by Hunter Green Add Hunter Green to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

HMO will play the .m3u playlists you create on the PC transparently, allowing you to use the software you already have. Personally I wouldn't want to try to make a playlist with a remote, that's clunky. But for those who would... sorry, you can't.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Cloud is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 10:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cloud Find more posts by Cloud Add Cloud to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cloud

How do I make a .m3u playlist?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hunter Green is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 07:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hunter Green Visit Hunter Green's homepage! Find more posts by Hunter Green Add Hunter Green to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Most MP3 software can create them, including MusicMatch, WinAmp, and Windows Media Player. There's also lots of software you can download that makes playlists. For what it's worth, you can make one yourself the hard way -- it's just a text file with a pathname on each line.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

skanter is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 07:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for skanter Find more posts by skanter Add skanter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skanter
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by Cloud
Need WMA support!!!!!

Do a search on the HMO forum, I'm pretty sure there is an add-on program that will let you play WMA files on Tivo.

unknown

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dennis Wilkinson is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 08:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis Wilkinson Visit Dennis Wilkinson's homepage! Find more posts by Dennis Wilkinson Add Dennis Wilkinson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dennis Wilkinson
Advanced Member

Re: Power HMO

quote:
Originally posted by Laurence
1) Provide Playlist creation, management and playback features. I use an iPod with iTunes both of which have fabulous playlist capabilities. Apples is not alone here. Virtually all music playback hardware and software provides playlist functionality.

If you're using iTunes on a Macintosh, all of your iTunes playlists should be available on the TiVo. If you're using it on a Windows PC, that integration (which is provided by the Mac version of TiVo Desktop) isn't available, although if you save them as .m3u files as mentioned above, those should also work. One utility to help with this is available at:

<http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/it...ingstarted.html>

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

crowfan is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 09:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for crowfan Find more posts by crowfan Add crowfan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
crowfan
Fan of CCrows

Take a look at J. River Media Center. It works with TiVo HMO and will convert other formats to mp3 on-the-fly for playing on the TiVo. It's probably the greatest piece of software I own.

crow

crowfan is absolutely not wrong -stevel

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged