TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> getting ready to do a wired connection, a little help please? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Keith_R90210 is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 11:58 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Keith_R90210 Find more posts by Keith_R90210 Add Keith_R90210 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Keith_R90210

getting ready to do a wired connection, a little help please?

Hey there, now that HMO is free (and I got a raise ) I'm figuring I'd like to splurge a little and get the gear necessary to hook my TiVo up to my wired router and cable connection, than stream my MP3's over to my HT. The main thing I'm wondering is what exact gear I'll need. If I read all of the info correct the only two things I'll need are:

1. USB ethernet card (to plug into my TiVo)
2. Ethernet cable

I've already got the TiVo software for my computer so I think I've completed that step. Is there any other gear that I need to do this? in regards to the USB ethernet card, I know TiVo has recommended ones but the ones I've seen are more expensive than the non-TiVo-recommended ones, am I safe getting one of the ones that TiVo doesn't suggest on their site?

thanks!

-Keith-

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kracko is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 12:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kracko Find more posts by Kracko Add Kracko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kracko

I went for the Linksys USB200M. It was 30 bucks at CC. I bought a box of Cat 5 at Fry's, some ends and a crimping tool and ran the wires myself. It's pretty straight forward.

Running JavaHMO 1.2

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Georgia Guy is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 07:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Georgia Guy Find more posts by Georgia Guy Add Georgia Guy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Georgia Guy
Early Adapter

Pretty much..

Pretty much what Kracko said. You can't beat Linksys USB200Ms. Easy and cheap...mine were like $26.00 at Best Buys. I would stick with something that everyone KNOWS works.

Because I've always seemed to have trouble getting connectors correctly applied to the ends of cables, I bought the CAT5 with end connectors already installed. This required a slightly larger hole drilled thru my floors next to the baseboard, and required me to make fairly accurate length measurements before buying the various cable lengths.

I ended up using three 50' CAT cables, but had to get an extension coupler for one and add another 10 CAT cable because my wife decided, after the fact, that she wanted the tivo in a different place in a bedroom.

Sony SVR-2000, 135 hours
3 Linksys USB200M's, Wired Ethernet
Comcast Motorola DCT6208 HD-DVR
Pan. DMR-HS2 DVD Recorder
Mits.HD2000U D-VHS Recorder

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Keith_R90210 is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 08:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Keith_R90210 Find more posts by Keith_R90210 Add Keith_R90210 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Keith_R90210

I was looking to get the USB200m, good to hear it works. I'm also planning on getting Cat5e that is premade w/ end connectors and all. I have no intentions of putting the cable together myself. Hope to be up and running soon!

-Keith-

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kracko is offline Old Post 06-12-2004 11:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kracko Find more posts by Kracko Add Kracko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kracko

quote:
Originally posted by Keith_R90210
I was looking to get the USB200m, good to hear it works. I'm also planning on getting Cat5e that is premade w/ end connectors and all. I have no intentions of putting the cable together myself. Hope to be up and running soon!

Ah yer both wimps.

Running JavaHMO 1.2

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Keith_R90210 is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 08:27 AM
Keith_R90210

well, I went out and got my gear to do this (including the USB200m adapter). Unfortunately my adapter broke when trying to insert the ethernet cable and I couldn't fix it so I guess I'll have to take it back tommorow.

Perhaps it is just me but that adapter seems sort of flimsy as though it wouldn't have been able to hold the ethernet cable firmly. On a sidenote, I bought "cat5e" cable, is that the right cable or should I be looking for something else?

thanks.

-Keith-

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 12:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crrink Find more posts by Crrink Add Crrink to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crrink
TiVo Forum Special Member

5e is rated for Gigabit Ethernet, so it should be good for some years to come.
I think they actually have Cat6 now, but I don't know what the improvements are, if any.
When I did my wiring a few weeks ago the best cable my Home Depot had was 5e, which was fine for me.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JoeBarbs is offline Old Post 06-13-2004 08:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JoeBarbs Find more posts by JoeBarbs Add JoeBarbs to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JoeBarbs

quote:
Originally posted by Crrink
5e is rated for Gigabit Ethernet, so it should be good for some years to come.
I think they actually have Cat6 now, but I don't know what the improvements are, if any.
When I did my wiring a few weeks ago the best cable my Home Depot had was 5e, which was fine for me.

How much did the wire cost at home depot? I checked out radio shack and it was pretty expensive.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Keith_R90210 is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 07:59 AM
Keith_R90210

update: Well it's done. I went with the USB200m adapter at Bestbuy for $29.99 and about 25 Ft of Cat 5e cable. The first adapter that I bought broke when I got home last night so I took it back to BB today and exchanged it. Otherwise it was a pretty easy set-up except that at first it wasn't detecting my TiVo, somehow I corrected that problem and I'm now listening to my MP3's off of my computer.

The other plus from this was that it also allowed me to hook my TiVo up to my stereo for slightly better sound on certain Tv broadcasts.

-Keith-

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 06-14-2004 09:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crrink Find more posts by Crrink Add Crrink to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crrink
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by JoeBarbs
How much did the wire cost at home depot? I checked out radio shack and it was pretty expensive.

I bought a box of 500' of cable for something like $35. I think 1,000' was like $65. It's the plain, indoor only, gray jacketed cable.

I bought the Leviton Ethernet terminals that snap into the Leviton faceplates - I was initially a little worried about terminating the cables myself, but the Leviton jacks are easy as pie - each wire has it's own color, and each jack has a color-coded place for each wire. The first one took me like ten minutes because I was being careful, the next 5 took me about a minute each.

For the cables to go from the walls to the TiVo's I just bought pre-terminated cables. A 7' 5e cable was only like $7.50, so I thought it would be easier and cheaper than buying a decent quality crimper and making my own patch cables.

If you have any questions at all about getting started on a project like this, I'd be happy to help all I can. Post here, or PM me if you want.
It's a hassle fishing wires through walls, but having your TiVo's hard wired is the best.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged