TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Dynamic DNS <<<

Pages (2): [1] 2 Next »  
Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DaveP is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 08:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveP Find more posts by DaveP Add DaveP to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaveP

Dynamic DNS

Just a quick one, hopefully!

I'm trying to access Tivoweb from work. My ISP changes my IP address at least once every day. I've signed up to No-IP and I'm just wondering if anybody can recommend them or if I would be better going elsewhere? It has to be a free service!

I did a search and I found a few but they were all No-IP under a different domain name!

The other question is: how long does it take to update the DNS servers? Here at work it can take 24 hours. If that is the case then it's no good as it wil always be playing catch-up!

Dave

Last edited by DaveP on 06-15-2004 at 08:53 PM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Adlopa is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 08:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Adlopa Find more posts by Adlopa Add Adlopa to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Adlopa

I use DirectUpdate together with DynDNS and both have worked seamlessly over the last year or so. DirectUpdate automatically handles any IP address changes and it seems pretty swift with it. That said, Telewest doesn't seem to mess with IP addresses that much and I haven't done any testing...

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chris T is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 08:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chris T Find more posts by Chris T Add Chris T to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris T

I have used No-IP for about 2 years without any sort of problems. It usually takes less then 5 minuets to update their servers.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bradc314 is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 08:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bradc314 Find more posts by Bradc314 Add Bradc314 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bradc314
Hi.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris T
I have used No-IP for about 2 years without any sort of problems. It usually takes less then 5 minuets to update their servers.
Ditto. Highly recommend them.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveP is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 08:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DaveP Find more posts by DaveP Add DaveP to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DaveP

Thanks guys. I think my problem is the DNS servers on my company's ISP. It's been four hours and it still won't resolve.

I'll see how it is tomorrow.

Dave

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cojonesdetoro is offline Old Post 06-15-2004 09:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cojonesdetoro Find more posts by cojonesdetoro Add cojonesdetoro to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cojonesdetoro

I use serveral providers. The one not mentioned here is dynserv http://www.dyn.ee/ (I believe They are in Europe so mebbe better for youse UK guys).

They have had an occasional outage (maybe 3?) in the last 3-4 years I have used them but I then use one of the others to access my stuff.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GarySargent is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 02:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for GarySargent Visit GarySargent's homepage! Find more posts by GarySargent Add GarySargent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GarySargent

quote:
Originally posted by DaveP
Thanks guys. I think my problem is the DNS servers on my company's ISP. It's been four hours and it still won't resolve.

You can test this theory using nslookup to connect to a different name server.

If it is work and you have admin rights on the box you could configure an alternative DNS server in the list of DNS servers under TCP/IP properties (though unless you're at a small company this isn't likely to be possible).

http://www.tivobugs.co.uk » List of current bugs and problems.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cojonesdetoro is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 04:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cojonesdetoro Find more posts by cojonesdetoro Add cojonesdetoro to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cojonesdetoro

There were some big Internet-wide DNS issues today. it looks like Akami technolgies got owned and brought down half the net with them. Go to slashdot.org to read about it.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveP is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 01:34 PM
DaveP

Thanks for your help guys. It's working fine this morning and the address changed overnight so it's very encouraging. I'll stay with no-ip for the time being and see how it goes. Thanks for the other suggestions though, it will be something to try if it doesn't work out.

One more question! How easy is it to get the no-ip client running on the Tivo, bearing in mind I'm a Linux newbie!
It will save me leaving a PC on all the time.

Thanks again

Dave

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 02:10 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb
TiVo Forum Special Member

To run the client on the TiVo, it would need to be compiled for the specific RISC CPU that the TiVo uses. Since this is not a standard CPU for a Linux box, you would have to rely on some TiVo user having created one. In my opinion, that is unlikely - but you never know.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveP is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 04:27 PM
DaveP

Thanks Ian, the following is an extract from the readme file:

#######################################################
####################
HOW TO BUILD AN EXECUTABLE FOR YOUR SYSTEM

The command
make
will build a binary of the noip2 client that will run on your system.

If you do not have 'make' installed and you have an i686 Linux machine
with libc6, a binary for i686 systems is located in the binaries
directory called noip2-Linux. Copy that binary to the build directory
'cp binaries/noip2-Linux noip2'

The command
make install
(which must be run as root) will install the various pieces to their
appropriate places. This will ask questions and build a configuration
data file.
See below if you can't become root or can't write in /usr/local/*.

#######################################################
####################

I suppose I can assume that "make" is not part of the Tivo OS!

Dave

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 04:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb

make is just a program that calls the compiler and linker to build a program. If you can find the relevant compiler and linker, then it will probably come with the appropriate version of make. There must be a version out there somewhere, because people have built compatible programs such as tar, etc.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Chris T is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 06:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Chris T Find more posts by Chris T Add Chris T to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Chris T

I had an idea to do exactly the same thing, but due to a lack of time etc (and I didn’t fancy braking the Tivo), I only got as far as finding some useful looking files.

“TiVo-2.5.x-cmd.tar.gz” (12 Megs) that I think came from Tivo and is all of the missing files from the Linux installation. I also found “native_compiler_tivo.tar.gz” at 32 Megs in size. If you Google both files you will find where to download them.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveP is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 06:16 PM
DaveP

Thanks guys. I'm off to go a googling, but it all sounds rather scary!

Dave

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Paul Stimpson is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 06:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Stimpson Find more posts by Paul Stimpson Add Paul Stimpson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Stimpson

Have you seen the IPCop firewall? ( http://www.ipcop.org ) You can convert almost any crappy old PC into an industrial-strength firewall. It should protect your network from most attacks and does the dynamic DNS updates automatically. It also acts as a VPN server to give you private access to your TiVo at home.

If you add an Apache webserver to your network as well you can use the reverse proxy module to make your TiVo available from outside but with Apache's password authentication to protect it. I would be very nervous of making my TiVo available to the world without some password or VPN protection.

Cheers,
Paul.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveP is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 07:14 PM
DaveP

Thanks Paul. I'm using NAT and Virtual Servers (if I ever get it working). Won't that protect me enough?

Don't forget it took me three days to get my network card working! I don't think I'd stand much chance with IPCop and Apache!

Dave

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Paul Stimpson is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 08:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Stimpson Find more posts by Paul Stimpson Add Paul Stimpson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Stimpson

Provided your NAT router doesn't have any security holes that let somebody outside attack it then it will give you reasonable protection (I would keep an eye on the manufacturer's firmware releases for it in case bugs are found and patched). The more ports you open the more chance there is that one of the programs you are exposing will have a bug that somebody can exploit. Unless you really need it I would disable UPNP (Universal Plug N' Play) as it gives a hacked program the ability to open any port the attacker likes on the NAT box.

One of the reasons I like IPCop is that it does Stateful Packet Inspection (SPI.) SPI takes the NAT process further by examining the incoming packets to make sure they are valid and don't contain any bad data that might be used to cause a breach of the receiving program.

If you want help setting one up (and can wait until I'm actually in the country) I'd be happy to help you build it.

Cheers,
Paul.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveP is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 01:53 PM
DaveP

That's a most generous offer Paul, thank you.

I'm not to keen on having a PC on all the time. Would it run OK on an old laptop? How much memory would it need and what disk space, assuming I run Apache too.

Hopefully I could also use it to run the No-IP app and act as a print server?

Dave

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 02:13 PM
iankb

A proper firewall would require a minimum of two network cards, so a laptop would be out.

POST #19 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DaveP is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 02:28 PM
DaveP

quote:
Originally posted by iankb
A proper firewall would require a minimum of two network cards, so a laptop would be out.

Mine has two PCMCIA slots and I have two cards. Is there another problem?

Dave

POST #20 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged