TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> so how are you going to use TiVoToGo on your network <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 08:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

so how are you going to use TiVoToGo on your network

I am getting a PC put together with windows 2000 a 120Gig HD I have on hand and moving my PCcaster and JavaHMO to it.

This PC will be behind my television cabinet and not have a monitor hooked to it as My ATI card will do video out to the TV and the PCcaster will broadcast that to any TV in my house.

I am waiting on TiVoToGo before I buy a DVD burner - they just get cheaper and better anyhow.

why Windows 2000 ? I assume windows compatibility will be easiest for TiVoToGo , I have a legal copy gathering dust and it is the stablest of all the windows OSes out there. runs Sun JAVA JDKs very well also. This PC will be my media server not media recorder/manager - that is what TiVo is for but I have the ATI card for one -off recording conflicts (once in a blue moon for me). If I want to go to SageTv or something else then I will get a new PC anyhow as those apps benefit from more power.

I plan to have my digital pictures on it and a back up of my music files. assuming all goes well with TiVoToGo then I can add hard drives and do some simple mirroring/software raid with Windows 2000 with more hard drives if I feel the need to protect the data more.

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

• TiVo series 2/HMO 40 hours unmodded - so far
  • Toshiba SD H400 for 99$
  • JavaHMO/ paid for my HMO whiner
  • AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD/PC throughout house and playfort
  • 5 at a time NetFlix subscription

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

quarkman97 is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 09:29 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for quarkman97 Visit quarkman97's homepage! Find more posts by quarkman97 Add quarkman97 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quarkman97
New and Improved!

I'll let you know what I'm going to do with TivoToGo when Tivo flips on the switch to activate the USB 2.0 ports and someone figures out how to upgrade my 60-hr. Tivo's USB 1.1 ports to 2.0.

Sorry to take a pessimistic attitude about this, but I think it's going to take *WAY* too long to transfer a show to the PC, let alone several shows, unless they upgrade the USB ports on the Tivos.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZeoTiVo is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 10:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZeoTiVo Find more posts by ZeoTiVo Add ZeoTiVo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZeoTiVo
One with the TiVo

quote:
Originally posted by quarkman97
I'll let you know what I'm going to do with TivoToGo when Tivo flips on the switch to activate the USB 2.0 ports and someone figures out how to upgrade my 60-hr. Tivo's USB 1.1 ports to 2.0.

Sorry to take a pessimistic attitude about this, but I think it's going to take *WAY* too long to transfer a show to the PC, let alone several shows, unless they upgrade the USB ports on the Tivos.

well define way too long - this is for archiving purposes/make room on TiVo unit for more future recordings. If you want to burn quickly then get a DVD-recorder TiVo unit.

with current USB 1.1 drivers and a wired ethernet people are transferring shows between TiVo units now at real time, some get as good with wireless but there mileage varies greatly. if you think TTG is for quickly grabbing some shows to your laptop just before you leave on a business trip then yes - that is too slow. but for my use of archiving shows to maybe burn or not and have them available to view in other ways than just on TiVo this is the thing for me.

TTiVoToGo FAQ, I have never seen a company so bashed in a forum becasue its software is a little late

• TiVo series 2/HMO 40 hours unmodded - so far
  • Toshiba SD H400 for 99$
  • JavaHMO/ paid for my HMO whiner
  • AVcast to broadcast TiVo/DVD/PC throughout house and playfort
  • 5 at a time NetFlix subscription

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

quarkman97 is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 10:25 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for quarkman97 Visit quarkman97's homepage! Find more posts by quarkman97 Add quarkman97 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
quarkman97
New and Improved!

I can see your point about archiving shows and what a neat feature that will be.

I don't see why Tivo would come up with a name like "TivoTOGO" if you were using to tediously archive shows.

For me, I want to be able to jam numerous episodes of my favorite shows that Tivo has saved during the week on a DVD and take it with me when I go away for the weekend. I can understand this will take some time, even when/if Tivo upgrades the USB port. If this means I have to do all the transferring the night before my trip, so be it.

But at the speeds everyone is talking about with the current set up, I don't see myself babysitting each show transfer, wating a half hour, then repeating.

I fear it will come down to an individual show transfer because this is the same thing as asking for "batch save to vcr" which I doubt we will ever see.

Honestly, I'm a grateful guy. If Tivo proves me wrong, I will be the first in line to eat crow.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Agent86 is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 10:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Agent86 Find more posts by Agent86 Add Agent86 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Agent86

As a multi-room viewing user, I can shed a little light on this.

A show recorded at "High Quality" transfers in real time. Meaning, if its an hour long it takes an hour to transfer.

However, you can also queue up shows to transfer. On Wednesdays, when we had a ton of shows recorded, I would queue up all the shows on all the various TiVos and then go to bed. Wake up in the morning, and everything is done.

So you should be able to queue up the amount of shows it would take to fill a DVD, walk away, and then come back and burn the disc.

- Agent 86

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

kitsap is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 11:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for kitsap Find more posts by kitsap Add kitsap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kitsap
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by quarkman97
But at the speeds everyone is talking about with the current set up, I don't see myself babysitting each show transfer, wating a half hour, then repeating.

I fear it will come down to an individual show transfer because this is the same thing as asking for "batch save to vcr" which I doubt we will ever see.

I'd be really surprised if they set it up so that you had to do one at a time. I expect the transfers over the network to a PC will work in essentially the same manner as multi-room viewing transfers over the network presently work, allowing you to queue a virtually unlimited number of programs that will transfer on their own while you go about your business.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

quarkman97 is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 11:27 PM
quarkman97
New and Improved!

Cool.

Thanks for clearing that up!

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DVDerek is offline Old Post 06-16-2004 11:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DVDerek Find more posts by DVDerek Add DVDerek to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DVDerek
Tivo Rules

I was also thinking of building a home server that would sit in a closet for the purposes of sharing music and photos. Presumably I'd install my DVD-Burner in this machine which would run Windows XP, allowing me to remote desktop to it.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

d_anders is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 12:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for d_anders Find more posts by d_anders Add d_anders to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
d_anders

I don't know why TiVo wouldn't officially support or even OEM some type of existing NAS (network attached storage) device so that I don't have to dedicate a full PC as my media server.

Products Like these could work very well with the right interface:

http://www.linksys.com/hdd/
http://www.linksys.com/products/pro...cid=32&prid=447

I think a separate media service device, dedicated to just storing TiVo content (pics, mp3, etc.) for other full TiVo units to share would be ideal...until then, dedicating a PC will be the way to go...

TiVoOpsMgr, TiVoPony, any discussion along these lines?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

smak is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 04:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for smak Find more posts by smak Add smak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
smak
new glossy edition

Doesn't the Pioneer DVD recorder have batch save to DVD?

I think it'll be great.

Just as much for a gigantic storage avenue to free up full Tivo's, as burning shows to DVD.

I'd probably use it for everything, offloading things for storage, watching shows and burning DVD's.

Basically to me, it's like getting a free tivo. Especially if you have a decent monitor.

I may even dump my DVD recorder if i can edit shows easily, and burm them with the cool Tivo DVD menus.

-smak-

1. Buy
2. Complain
3. Research
4. Apologize

Come visit us at TC Poker Community

www.tcpokercommunity.com

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dan203 is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 04:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dan203 Visit Dan203's homepage! Find more posts by Dan203 Add Dan203 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dan203
Cyn-er

"so how are you going to use TiVoToGo on your network?"

It depends on how TTG works. If it allows you to use a PC for off site storage (i.e. allows transferring back to the TiVo) I'll probably setup a small server with a massive hard drive where I can offload recordings when/if my TiVos start getting full. If not I'll probably just install the software on my main PC and use it as needed for making DVDs.

Dan

All with Lifetime
Note: Two of the above TiVos actually belong to loopey, but I have access to them so I'm counting them

"It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" - loopey
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoPony (link)
"Dan's absolutely correct." - TiVoOpsMgr (link)

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pbanders is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 04:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for pbanders Find more posts by pbanders Add pbanders to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pbanders

Right now, I archive Tivo shows by capturing them over s-video with my ADS DV encoder. Results are excellent, but I'd much rather do a digital transfer, even at real-time speeds if that's all 1.1 can muster.

Media PC - 2.53 GHz P4 / 1 GB DDR/120 + 200 GB HD / Sony DVD+/-/R/RW
Adaptec DVD Media Center USB2 MPEG Encoder / ADS Pyro A/V Link DV Encoder
Ulead VideoStudio 8.0 / Ulead MovieFactory 2 SE / NTI CD-Maker 6.0 Platinum / TMPGenc Plus
InterVideo WinDVR / InterVideo DVD Copy / Pinnacle Instant Copy 7.0 / Pinnacle Studio 8.10SE
Denon 3802 / Panasonic S55 / JVC HR-S29U S/VHS / Marantz LV520 Laserdisc / Sony MOD-RF1 Demodulator
Sennheiser HD-500 / RadioShack 15-1975 A/V Network (1 xmit, 2 rcvrs)

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged