TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> US Series 2 TiVo - in the UK <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
tclarkson is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 02:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tclarkson Find more posts by tclarkson Add tclarkson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tclarkson

Lightbulb US Series 2 TiVo - in the UK

Hi there all, I have imported a US Series 2 TiVo here into the UK and intended to make the thing work. I will be popping back here to post progress updates and to get help when I get stuck.

I am not sure how many people have attempted this but I tought what the hell it is a good way to get my Linux skills to par.

Cheers
Tim Clarkson

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mini__me is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 02:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mini__me Find more posts by mini__me Add mini__me to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mini__me

Good Luck !!

Report back, I assume you jave found the website of our friends down under as that will help you out loads.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 02:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb
TiVo Forum Special Member

I doubt that anybody has really tried it because most people wouild prefer a subscribed TiVo - at least for their first one. As I'm sure that you're aware, Customer Services won't allow you to subscribe the serial number of a US model, whatever you do to it.

However, I'm sure that a lot of people would be interested in a choice for a second (unsubscribed) machine. And it would be nice to know what the options are if the UK EPG service ever closed down.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mini__me is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 02:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mini__me Find more posts by mini__me Add mini__me to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mini__me

If you get it working I'm bringing a couple back from the US next time I'm over

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

6022tivo is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 03:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 6022tivo Visit 6022tivo's homepage! Find more posts by 6022tivo Add 6022tivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
6022tivo
A Happy Member

Help me out..

What is the difference between a S1 and S2??

I think a S1 can do as much as a S2, and S1 machines are a little more reasonable on ebay now, under £150??

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tclarkson is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 03:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tclarkson Find more posts by tclarkson Add tclarkson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tclarkson

Series 2 is a new CPU and more RAM, there is also upgrade functionality in that you can group programmes, etc.

I am moving back to NZ in March '05 so I was not to concerned about the subscription but more interested in learning how to modify the TiVo and work on something to document.

Yeah I am also posting on the Oz/NZ site as they have had to do a lot of the work since there is NO support down there.

Cheers

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 03:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

I don't think even the Aussies have modded a seies 2 yet.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

6022tivo is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 03:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for 6022tivo Visit 6022tivo's homepage! Find more posts by 6022tivo Add 6022tivo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
6022tivo
A Happy Member

More CPU and RAM..

Does not make much of a difference in watching TV.

Can't see the fuss, grouping of programs, well it is long overdue anyway.

Last edited by 6022tivo on 06-17-2004 at 04:27 AM

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 04:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb

You can add HMO to a Series 2, or you could if you could register it in the first place.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

number_6 is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 11:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for number_6 Find more posts by number_6 Add number_6 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
number_6

quote:
Originally posted by sanderton
I don't think even the Aussies have modded a seies 2 yet.

Latest news is that the Aussies have access to two Series 2 models (both different internally) and they have made them (via software mod/hack) able to record a PAL signal via the AV-in sockets on the back.

They think the ALPS (NTSC) Tuner in the S2 models is the same as the S1 models which means that the Tivo UK Tuners (or equivalents) will be able to be used instead once they get the remaining problem solved which is....

... The video outputs are still NTSC as they are having trouble with the datasheets for the video encoder used in the S2 models as they are hard to come by so they haven't got a hack to make it PAL compatible yet.

They are working hard on it though as they [being the smarter memebers of the oztivo crowd] realise that sooner than later the current cheap supply of $USD90 US Tivos will run out and then they will have to have a viable replacement option if people want a Tivo "down under" hence the progress on S2. So they have a vested interest in S2 hacking.

In any case the S2 hardware is getting pretty cheap so will be the next best thing once the S1 supplies run low for anyone who wants a Tivo outside the US.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

xxxx is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 12:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for xxxx Find more posts by xxxx Add xxxx to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
xxxx

Originally posted by iankb
As I'm sure that you're aware, Customer Services won't allow you to subscribe the serial number of a US model, whatever you do to it.

This seems rather short-sighted to say the least. Provision of EPG data comes pretty much at a fixed cost (with the possible exception of the phone call which many dabblers wouldn't need anyway) and so each extra subscriber is well worth having.

If I were running Tivo I would accept subs for any box anywhere, working or not. But then I wouldn't get Sky to do my marketing either.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 02:12 PM
iankb

As I understand it, it's not just a bureaucratic rule, but the UK EPG and UK software versions are incompatible with the US hardware. At what stage does somebody validate that the machine is compatible enough to be permitted to use the service?

And does the service contract allow for a non-standard model, with an unknown lifetime?

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

GvH is offline Old Post 06-17-2004 08:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for GvH Find more posts by GvH Add GvH to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
GvH
Gold Member

I'm interested to know (theoretically of course)...

If you had two Tivo's, One a subscribed UK spec S1 and the other a non-subscribed US spec S2. Could you employ a method of automatically kicking off a recording on the S2 Tivo based on the S1 guide data, or would that then be regarded as "service theft"?

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gcclinux is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 01:14 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gcclinux Visit gcclinux's homepage! Find more posts by gcclinux Add gcclinux to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gcclinux

quote:
Originally posted by iankb And does the service contract allow for a non-standard model, with an unknown lifetime? [/B]

Does this also mean that the Life time subscription I paid for is only valid as long as my TiVo last, so if for example my TiVo is to burn out two months after I bought it and I have to buy another one, I will have to pay for the subscription all over again?

Just aquestion!

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Regor is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 03:31 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Regor Visit Regor's homepage! Find more posts by Regor Add Regor to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Regor

Yes, a lifetime subscription is for the lifetime of your TiVo. If it dies and you get another TiVo you have to pay another lifetime sub.

I think you get a years warranty from the moment you activate the TiVo and if it goes wrong in this period they will replace the box and transfer the lifetime sub - i'm sure I will be corrected if this is not the case.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 06:06 PM
iankb

Also, after the warranty expires, you can pay for a swapout (~£90), and they would transfer the subscription then as well. However, I'm not sure nowadays if they have many machines available for swapout replacement.

Basically, the subscription is tied to the motherboard, so if you need a new motherboard (e.g. an insurance replacement), it is up to the goodwill of Customer Services. I should imagine that, so long as the previous motherboard is no longer active, they are pretty amenable - but then I always was an optimist.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged