TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Time To Start Networking <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Cainam is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 04:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Cainam Find more posts by Cainam Add Cainam to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Cainam

Time To Start Networking

Well after buying both a Tivo and a lifetime sub in the past couple of months, I am now trying to save some cash to buy a network card for my Tivo.

It looks like after shipping (and assuming I do not get hit for import duty ) it will cost me about £51 for a turbonet and £67 for a cachecard.

My Tivo is untouched presently i.e. standard 40GB drive, and I am not planning to upgrade the disk for a while, especially if my new network card could somehow let me *cough* some recordings...

The Tiivo seems to respond pretty fast, so I am not sure I need the cachecard. So my thoughts right now are to lean towards the turbonet.

I was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts e.g. is the cachecard faster (they are both 100 BaseT I think), are the turbonet cards more reliable, will my Tivo start to slow down significantly when I have used it for a bit longer, etc? Another thread seems to suggest a 7200rpm hard drive may prevent the need for a cachecard anyway...

Or does anyone have a turbonet card they want to sell for a decent price?

All advice appreciated!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 05:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb
TiVo Forum Special Member

The TiVo will slow down a bit if you have a lot of small recordings, but not that much if you don't increase the size of your drive.

I think that the speed of the drive is less relevant than the 8MB cache used on the Western Digital drive (assuming that you're referring to my post on the drive replacement).

I believe that the cachecard is faster than the TurboNet, neither of which would run at anything near maximum 100 BaseT speeds. To me, the cachecard is a wiser investment than the TurboNet, even if you don't expect to add memory at the moment. However, if you can get a cheap secondhand TurboNet card, then that might be a good option.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gcclinux is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 07:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gcclinux Visit gcclinux's homepage! Find more posts by gcclinux Add gcclinux to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gcclinux

What is a TurboNet Card and what is it used for?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

threadkiller is offline Old Post 06-18-2004 07:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for threadkiller Visit threadkiller's homepage! Find more posts by threadkiller Add threadkiller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
threadkiller
Dark side Nrth Devon

quote:
Originally posted by gcclinux
What is a TurboNet Card and what is it used for?
airnet / turbonet / cachecard all variants of add on network card for the Tivo, allowing telnet / FTP / tivoweb/ Network access to the aforementioned Tivo

120Gig Tivo + Airnet + Sky Digital + Freeview + Tivoweb + Every module available until the novelty wears off, or my wife beats me :)

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Paul Stimpson is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 06:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Stimpson Find more posts by Paul Stimpson Add Paul Stimpson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Stimpson

Hi,

I chose a Turbonet card as they were cheaper, I could get a second-hand one and there seemed to be some issues with the Cachecard at that time. If I'd heard glowing reports about the Cachecard I would probably have bought one of those.

I assume that the Cachecard software will get better (if it hasn't already) and I will probably buy one at a later date. I've got a 120GB drive and have suggestions turned on so there are a lot of recordings in Now Playing and getting the list of stored recordings is now getting a but slow. I paid £40 for my Turbonet card (plus postage) so I'm sure I'll get most of my mony back if I decide to sell it and buy a Cachecard.

Cheers,
Paul.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged