TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Soak: LA Gyms <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Guyy is offline Old Post 06-19-2004 11:02 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Guyy Visit Guyy's homepage! Find more posts by Guyy Add Guyy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guyy
Advanced Member

Soak: LA Gyms

OK, So I'm new to the LA area, and want to find a gym to join. Any suggestions? I live in Burbank and work in Pasadena so somewhere in this area would be great.

From what I've found online the two gyms with the most locations, 24 hour fitness and Bally's have mixed reviews. I would like to find someplace that I can go month to month at, as I'm only out here for 7 months.. Thanks!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

csyria is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 02:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for csyria Visit csyria's homepage! Find more posts by csyria Add csyria to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csyria
200 posts down...

Bally's has month-to-month now IIRC

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

daperlman is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 02:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for daperlman Visit daperlman's homepage! Find more posts by daperlman Add daperlman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
daperlman
sci-fi wasabi

I am a member of LA Fitness they will let you go month to month. In Atlanta how good each location is depends on what was there before (what kind of GYM LA Fitness bought), I imagine in LA they are all basically the same. I actually worked out at an LA Fitness in LA, it was nice.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jojo is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 02:53 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jojo Find more posts by Jojo Add Jojo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jojo
Geek Girl

Go check out the actual locations you would use to decide. I have a 24hr fitness membership through work, and the one I go to is a bit crappy (Santa Monica airport), but since its virtually free I'm willing to put up with it. Apparently there are nicer ones, but I'm not sure which ones.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

scubagal is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 03:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for scubagal Find more posts by scubagal Add scubagal to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
scubagal
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by csyria
Bally's has month-to-month now IIRC

I have never known bally's to do month-to-month, but maybe they will as a last resort to get the business.

Honestly, those are probably your 2 best bets unless you have a neighborhood Crunch or Golds. 24 Hour Fitness used to do month to month, but I don't know if they do anymore.

I have a Bally's membership, mainly because I travel and usually can find a Bally's anywhere, so if you know you are only in LA for 7 months, where will you be next?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guyy is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 04:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Guyy Visit Guyy's homepage! Find more posts by Guyy Add Guyy to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Guyy
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by scubagal
I have never known bally's to do month-to-month, but maybe they will as a last resort to get the business.

Honestly, those are probably your 2 best bets unless you have a neighborhood Crunch or Golds. 24 Hour Fitness used to do month to month, but I don't know if they do anymore.

I have a Bally's membership, mainly because I travel and usually can find a Bally's anywhere, so if you know you are only in LA for 7 months, where will you be next?

I hope to be back in Columbus in next year. There I'd been going to the local community center. I do have a Golds close by, how are they? I mosty do cardio so what a place with a good selection with lots of machines (no waiting).

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JYoung is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 05:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JYoung Find more posts by JYoung Add JYoung to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JYoung

Guyy,
I'm about to step out but I'm a Bally's member and might be able to help.
More info when I get back.....

"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" - Mavenelle

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guyy is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 11:30 PM
Guyy
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by JYoung
Guyy,
I'm about to step out but I'm a Bally's member and might be able to help.
More info when I get back.....

So which Bally's you go to?

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JYoung is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 01:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JYoung Find more posts by JYoung Add JYoung to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JYoung

Sorry, I was out most of the day, spending the day with my father.

I drove by the Ballyís on DeSoto and Nordhoff in Chatsworth and they had a sign advertising (I think) $19 a month for month to month.

The Ballyís chain can be hit or miss depending on the club. They bought out a number of local clubs and club chains to build their current presence in So Cal. I was a member of a chain they bought and was grandfathered in.

The locations Iíve been to:
∑ The aforementioned Chatsworth club which I found too small and only having a 20 minute limit on most cardio machines. No ellipticals the last time I was there.

∑ North Hollywood: Victory Blvd between Coldwater Canyon and Woodman. This is the club I usually hit after work. Good selection of cardio machines, weights, pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam, and indoor track. However, the locker room could use refurbishing and the clientele appears to be of a (cough)lower socio-economic class(cough) than I would prefer.

∑ Studio City: Ventura Blvd, east of Tujunga. The club itself is fine with a good selection of cardio machines, weights, Jacuzzi, and sauna. (plus your aerobics instructors look like this.) Parking can be a hassle during the weekdays as they only validate an hour last time I checked in the pay lot. Weekends, the lot is not pay. I've run into a few celebs at this one if you care for that sort of thing.

∑ Encino: Ventura Blvd, west of Balboa. Good club but a little on the small side which causes them to have no indoor track or pool. Steam room is nice as are the locker rooms. I usually hit this club on the weekends.

∑ Hollywood: Gower St. south of Hollywood Blvd. Decent club with cardio machines, weights, indoor track, pool, and sauna. Parking will cost you $0.35 a pop though.

∑ West Los Angeles: Bundy Drive north of Olympic. Decent club with cardio machines, weights, indoor track, pool, sauna and steam. Parking can be a bear here and they charge $0.50 a pop.

∑ Pasadena: Arroyo Parkway and Green St. I havenít been to this club in years but I remember it as a good club but parking was an issue.

∑ Montebello: Beverly Blvd and Wilcox: Pretty much the same as the North Hollywood club although a tad more crowded, IMO.

∑ Rosemead: Rosemead Blvd and I 10. Decent club with cardio machines, weights, indoor track, pool, sauna and steam. I hear itís crowded at times.

∑ Norwalk: Rosecrans Blvd and Pioneer Ave. Avoid, avoid.

∑ Puente Hills: off of the CA 60 between Azusa and Fullerton. Decent club with clean locker room. Ok selection of cardio machines, weights, Jacuzzi, and sauna.

∑ Fullerton: Orangethorpe Ave. and Lemon Ave. Good club with good selection of cardio machines, weights, pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam, and indoor track. Nice locker rooms.

∑ West Covina: Azusa Ave. north of Workman. Good club with good selection of cardio machines, weights, pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam, and indoor track. Right next to a great Brazilian barbeque restaurant.

∑ Glendora: Alosta Ave. (or old Route 66) east of Glendora Ave. Smaller club with a small locker room and a bit limited on the cardio machines but has the benefit of not being very crowded.

There is a club in Glendale but I have not been to it yet. I might be able to get you a guest pass. Let me know if you want to check out any of these clubs.

Be aware of the fact that most clubs tend to be a bit crowded during peak hours as this is Southern California. The Mesa, AZ club was deserted by comparison

http://www.ballyfitness.com/

"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!" - Mavenelle

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mrboo is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 02:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mrboo Find more posts by mrboo Add mrboo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mrboo
Advanced Member

What does it matter? You'll only go once or twice.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guyy is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 06:44 AM
Guyy
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by JYoung
Sorry, I was out most of the day, spending the day with my father.

I drove by the Ballyís on DeSoto and Nordhoff in Chatsworth and they had a sign advertising (I think) $19 a month for month to month.

Wow thats some list! I did call the one in Studio city, but they would not give me a price over the phone.I might swing by there tonight or tomorrow and check it out.Its the closest one to me
but sounds like parking is a hassle. Thanks!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mitchrc is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 08:20 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mitchrc Visit mitchrc's homepage! Find more posts by mitchrc Add mitchrc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mitchrc

You're gonna drive all the way to Studio City to work out? If you're willing to do that, join 24 Hour and go to their new gym at the Arclight in Hollywood. It's a beautiful, new, huge facility. If the one on Colorado in Pasadena is anything like the Hollywood one, I'd go there. The Colorado facility even has rock climbing!

42" Sony Grand Wega and HD TiVo

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Guyy is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 11:12 AM
Guyy
Advanced Member

I joined Bally's today. I went to the Studio City one to sign up, but I can go to any of them. Based on your recomdations jyoung I'll have to try a few others out. Thanks!

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged