TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Quick mfsbackup question <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Andy C is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 07:23 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Andy C Find more posts by Andy C Add Andy C to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy C

Quick mfsbackup question

Hi,

I'm going to be pulling my TiVo drive today and I was wondering if I can write the backup file (tivo.bak) to an NTFS disk? Can mfstools see drives in this format?

Also, what does the "-l32" flag do, and do I need it with a single drive?

Many thanks,

Andy.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 07:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

No, you can't write a backup to an NTFS drive; you'll need to create a FAT32 partition somewhere - using the new drive as a temporary store is common.

-l32 sets the maximum size of file to copy into the backup; mfstools filters on file size to stop you backing up the actual video, but on UK TiVos as some of the background animations are larger than mfstools default size to ignore so you need to explicitly set it larger.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 08:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

on UK TiVos as some of the background animations are larger than mfstools default size to ignore

Just to be pedantic: MFS Tools needs to include the system recordings in a compressed backup. The original system recordings have very low ID numbers, so MFS Tools just looks for those.

With 2.5.5, the UK system animations were replaced (to remove the Sky logo). These new recordings get ID's allocated at random, so MFS Tools does not recognise them as system recordings.

-l 32 tells it to include all recordings shorter than 32Mb, which is enough to catch all the system recordings.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Andy C is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 10:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Andy C Find more posts by Andy C Add Andy C to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Andy C

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've created a second partition of 5gig on my primary slave drive, so I'm guessing this will be 'hdb2' in Linux, correct? So...

mkdir /mnt/dos
mount /dev/hdb2 /mnt/dos

then (with the TiVo drive as secondary master)...

mfsbackup -l 32 -6so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc

BTW, does this also backup season passes, thumb data etc., or just the system files?

Andy.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mike0151 is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 10:36 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mike0151 Visit mike0151's homepage! Find more posts by mike0151 Add mike0151 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mike0151
A Friend of Dot

It backs up the season passes and thumbs (as far as i know). However, after reading a thread in one of the other forums here, you might want to do -1so instead of -6so as some people have had problems with compression errors when trying to restore.

HTH

Mike

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 10:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

You might have to hunt about for the right partition. hdb5 is at least as likely as hdb2.

You don't actually need the dos directory. You can mount directly on /mnt.

Mike is quite correct. -1so is safer than -6so and results in a backup that's about 380Mb instead of about 370Mb.

The backup includes /everything/ except for the user's recordings.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 06-20-2004 10:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

quote:
Originally posted by Robert S
on UK TiVos as some of the background animations are larger than mfstools default size to ignore

Just to be pedantic: MFS Tools needs to include the system recordings in a compressed backup. The original system recordings have very low ID numbers, so MFS Tools just looks for those.

With 2.5.5, the UK system animations were replaced (to remove the Sky logo). These new recordings get ID's allocated at random, so MFS Tools does not recognise them as system recordings.

-l 32 tells it to include all recordings shorter than 32Mb, which is enough to catch all the system recordings.

I stand corrected.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Andy C is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 06:09 PM
Andy C

Well, for anyone interested, I think it was mission successful... at least the cachecard is in and running smoothly over the wireless network. Tivoweb is also working fine.

One thing that puzzled me though... when backing up my drive the messages were as follows:

Source drive size is 39 hours
.... Upgraded to 127 hours
Backup image will be 39 hours

Why isn't the backup image for the full size of the drive?

The command I used was:

mfsbackup -l 32 -1so /mnt/dos/tivo.bak /dev/hdc

The size of the backup file seems correct at 442 MB.

Weird.

Andy.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

RobBellis is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 06:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for RobBellis Find more posts by RobBellis Add RobBellis to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
RobBellis

The -s you use in your backup command causes MFStool to shrink the MFS partitions down to the smallest size possible ( in conjunction with the -l 32 ) which in your case is a 39hour TiVo.

When you upgrade you are only adding MFS partitions, the OS area is still in the first part of the disks, so your backup should still be good, and you will be able to expand the TiVo up to the size of your new/replacement disks in the future.

Rgds,

R.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Andy C is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 07:16 PM
Andy C

Cheers Rob & thanks all.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged