TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> HD upgrade, no increase in recording capacity <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chipmaster is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 12:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chipmaster Find more posts by chipmaster Add chipmaster to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chipmaster

HD upgrade, no increase in recording capacity

My problem is: Original TiVo shows 42 hours of recording capacity. With second HD upgrade, it still shows only 42 hr.
Prior to install of second HD (Maxtor 120 GB) the drive was "Blessed". Further I backed up the original TiVo HD using mfstools with no compression. That backup was restored to my new 120 GB HD. I replaced the original TiVo 40 GB factory drive with the new drive.
It powered up with no problems BUT the System Information still shows just 42 hours of recording capacity.
I reinstalled the TiVo factory HD as Master and my new Maxtor HD as slave using the Weaknees Kit.
Powered up and still only 42 hours of recording capacity.
Any suggestions will be appreciated!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 12:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

Did you bless the drive after restoring the backup to it?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 03:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

First, if you did not use the "x" option in the mfsrestore command, it would not have expanded the capacity of the A drive.

I'm a bit confused with what you did after that...

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

weaknees is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 10:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for weaknees Visit weaknees's homepage! Find more posts by weaknees Add weaknees to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
weaknees
TiVo Forum Special Member

If you purchase a drive kit from us, you should not have had to format it...if you purchased a bracket-only kit (which is what I'm assuming you did), then you have to prep the drive properly. If you used BlessTiVo, then you need to be sure you are using a "no byteswapping" kernel. To avoid this issue, then do as SteveL suggests and use the -x toggle in mfstool.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chipmaster is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 08:44 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chipmaster Find more posts by chipmaster Add chipmaster to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chipmaster

Expanded TiVo Hd system doesn't show increase in recording time

Thanks to Robert S and Stevel for your responses.
I redid the Bless function which did not solve the problem.
I then restored my backup TiVo.bak using mfsrestore with the -x parameter onto my 120 GB HD and that did solve my problem. I knew as soon as mfstools completed the restore that my problem had be resovled. The completion message read "restore successful...you now have 130 hrs (90) more hrs."
I installed my new 120 GB restored HD into my TiVo as a one drive system and now the System Info reports the expanded capacity of my new HD over the original 40 GB.
Can I now install the original 40 GB and add the new 120 (which was my original intent) without Blessing the new HD?
This will give me a total of 170 hours recording capacity.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BlueXanaX is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 12:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for BlueXanaX Find more posts by BlueXanaX Add BlueXanaX to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BlueXanaX
tivo@bluexanax.net

Using mfstools works better. The easiest thing here to do would be to put the 120 gig, and the 40 gig back in the pc. Boot off mfstools, and run the mfsadd command.

mfsadd -x /dev/hdx /dev/hdx

The first is your 120 gig drive, the second is your 40 gig drive.

There is really no benefit to setting your 40 gig as your hda in the tivo. It is actually better to use the larger drive as hda, and I take it that you did increase your swap file using the -s 127 option.??

I don't know the limit on your model, but on a series 2 D* Tivo it is 180 gigs, or gsod will not work correctly.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mr396 is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 07:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mr396 Find more posts by mr396 Add mr396 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr396

HD Upgrade, but capacity did not increase

I have Series 2 Tivo originally with a 40hr single drive system. I have upgraded it to an single drive 80GB and then added a second 120GB drive to take it up to 232hrs of recording capacity all using the tools supplied in this forum. This has worked great and appreciate the work everyone provided to make this so simple. I am now replacing the 80GB drive(the "A" drive) with another 120GB to make it a 2 drive system with a total of 240GB of recording capacity.

I followed all the instructions using Upgrade Config #4 From a Dual drive system to a New A drive and preserve recordings. I used the dd command (like it stated in the instructions). It did copy 80GB drive over to the 120GB just fine saying 76,xxx records in as well as out. I put both drives back in Tivo to test it out and it worked. I then put both drives back in the PC to expand the capacity and marry the drives by using the mfsadd. This is where I run into a snag. For some reason it gives me a message saying there is nothing to add. The exact message is "Current estimated standalone size is 223 hrs - Nothing to add!" The ony two drives in the system when I do this are the new "A"drive and the old "B" drive. When I boot-up it correctly reports the size of both drives as 120GB so it not a matter of a locked drive.

Can anyone tell me what to do here?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chipmaster is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 08:06 AM
chipmaster

Error in upgrade hd capacity

Thanks for all who responded to my request for help.
I executed mfsadd -x /dev/hdb /dev/hdc and now show the combined total capacity of both hd's.

My suggestion to mr396 is to check the jumpers on your hd's. It sounds like they're not being recognized.

This is a great bulletin board. I've learned a kit about TiVo's and Linux.
Thanks for that.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mr396 is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 05:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for mr396 Find more posts by mr396 Add mr396 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mr396

Thanks Chipmaster for the suggestion.

Tivo does recognize both drives or I would not get the 232 hrs of recording capacity, but this is the capacity at the old (80GB and 120GB drives config) and has not expanded to the full 240GB of capacity using 2-120gigers.I would have anticipated to be in the 270+hr range recording capacity with 2-120GB drives.

When I boot with the drives in the PC using MFStools, it correctly reports the size of both drives at 120GB so Iwould presume it is not a matter of jumpers. Am I missing something?

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chipmaster is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 10:44 PM
chipmaster

Sounds like your HD jumpers are properly set.
Did you try what finally worked for me?
mfsadd -x /dev/hdc /dev/hdb
Keep at it, I'm sure you will prevail.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged