TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Tivo and Sky+ Working together <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Austin YeahBaby is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 03:34 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Austin YeahBaby Find more posts by Austin YeahBaby Add Austin YeahBaby to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin YeahBaby

Tivo and Sky+ Working together

I apologise in advance if this has been covered recently but I can only find old threads:

I am sick and tired of NTL and was thinking of moving to Sky however I would like to keep my Tivo working alongside Sky+.

Is it possible to have Tivo use one Sky+ tuner in full season pass/everything working as normal mode... and perform the odd other recording via Sky+ using the 2nd tuner.

I'm thinking that paying the extra for Sky+ is worth it if this works (also my wife likes the look of the Sky+ box as a replacement for the green NTL box

Does anyone have this setup ?

Any comments welcomed!!

Thanks

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

randap is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 03:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for randap Find more posts by randap Add randap to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
randap
Knee-down scratcher?

Nope. See this thread . I have a TiVo and Sky+ set-up, and occasionally use Sky+ to record a clash when watching live TV - this is rare, and when you come to watch the recording from Sky+ you have to remember to check that TiVo is not about to record anything.

TiVo 6023 and 6021 (unmodded), SkyD, Pioneer 7.1 amp, Phillips DVD, Celestion speakers, Wharfedale Loudpanels (fantastic), Kwak ZX9R-C1 - Blueflame exhaust can makes me weak at the knees......oh, and a new MINI

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 03:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb
TiVo Forum Special Member

In my opinion, it's not very workable because you can't watch a Sky+ recording, or watch a live Sky+ channel, if the TiVo is recording. This is because the Sky+ box only has one output, and the TiVo will need to control that. Even if you start watching a Sky programme, you can find the TiVo taking over and changing channel half-way through it. Worse, you might change the output on the Sky box while TiVo is recording a programme, and you wouldn't even notice that.

You really need a standard digibox on a mirror sub to dedicate to the TiVo. Then you can use the Sky+ box as nature (or Murdoch) intended.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Austin YeahBaby is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 04:21 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Austin YeahBaby Find more posts by Austin YeahBaby Add Austin YeahBaby to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Austin YeahBaby

Thanks for that.

I think I have found a good solution.

Tivo - Connected to standard arial ot freeview to record all my Wife's soaps on normal TV

Sky+ - record my sport & Movies.

Sorted.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Steve_K is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 06:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Steve_K Find more posts by Steve_K Add Steve_K to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Steve_K

That will work and will be easy to understand but you could leave TiVo connected to Sky+ and soft disconnect by only selecting terrestrial channels as ones you receive on TiVo

but I think you'd be missing out. I use Sky+ with TiVo and the occasional problem is well balanced by the extra functionality. Just last night I had Sky+ recording USA GP, TiVo recording the football and the other Sky+ tuner showing the Russia Greece game on interactive.

And you can use the cross record feature to edit down Sky+ digital recordings onto TiVo

But make sure your wife's recordings are terrestrial based! my experience is failure to record a soap can lead to awkward silences no matter what the technical explanation is

steve

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tonywalk is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 07:36 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tonywalk Find more posts by tonywalk Add tonywalk to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tonywalk

Hmm, can I try and straighten a few things out.

I have a Sky+ box controlled by my 2nd Tivo. It controls it fine and extra recordings can be picked up by the 2nd tuner without affecting what the Tivo is recording.

Just remember to:

a) Use the remote codes with the "Sky" key in them. So it should jump you out of watching something whe nthe Tivo is about to record. Not sure how it responds when you have paused live TV though..........just popped downstairs - it does jump it out to current TV.

b) Just be aware that Tivo recording something won't let you watch something on Sky+ unless you are happy you don't want the programme on the Tivo (a bad suggestion for example). You can then have Tivo record what you are watching on Sky+ (perverse) or just stop the recording and go back to watching your Sky+ programme - it allows you to restart from where you were last watching from.

c) Must do some testing on the remote codes. The Sky key press that gets sent to the Sky+ box might need a slightly longer delay adding since Sky changed the software in the box a few months ago.

d) Don't use dual recording on Sky+. The second recording uses the "in-vision" tuner, so would change channels on Tivo. The picture quality is really pants anyway so is absolutely no loss whatsoever.

Hope this is comprehensive enough.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged