TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Wireless Problems <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
adrianb is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 06:01 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for adrianb Find more posts by adrianb Add adrianb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adrianb

Wireless Problems

Hi, I wonder if anybody can help me out.

I recently installed a rev 2.2 cachecard into my tivo and the installation process worked first time without any problems.

Connected directly to my Netgear DG835G router I can connect to the TiVo at 100BaseT Full Duplex with no issues.

However I want to connect my TiVo to the network using my Netgear WGE101 wireless ethernet bridge. However I have no network connectivity when the TiVo is connected this way. I have checked out the bridge by connecting two other devices to it and they work perfectly ok. I can also see the bridges web based admin no problem as well. Even with all encrption turned off and MAC filtering switch off no joy.

My unix knowlege isn't great but I managed to look at the kernel log and found that it is continually trying to negotiate the network speed over and over again so I assume this is the issue. I have reseated the cachecard, used a different network cable, took out memory etc, but still have the problem.

Both the router and the bridge have the latest firmware installed.

Is there a way of forcing the cachecard not to negotiate the network speed and to just use 100BaseT Full Duplex? I ran nic_config_tivo but there doesn't seem to be an option for this.

I'll be greatful for any idea's on this as it's driving me mad!!

Many Thanks

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike B is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 06:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike B Find more posts by Mike B Add Mike B to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike B

There should be some way to tell the bridge that the wired connection to it should be 100Mb Full Duplex, rather than auto-detect. I'd have thought this'd be in the web interface for it somewhere, or accessible via its CLI interface....

Mike

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Paul Stimpson is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 06:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Stimpson Find more posts by Paul Stimpson Add Paul Stimpson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Stimpson

By "negotiate the netowrk speed" is it referring to the wired network speed between the TiVo and the media adaptor or the wireless network speed?

Cheers,
Paul.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

adrianb is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 07:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for adrianb Find more posts by adrianb Add adrianb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
adrianb

Hello, thanks for replying.

I was referring to the network speed between the TiVo and the wireless bridge.

Unfortunately the web admin for the bridge doesn't have the option to not negotiate or set the network speed.

I'm not sure what you mean about CLI interface. The bridge comes with a program to administer the bridge but the advanced options just launches the web interface for the bridge.

I tried to connect the TiVo via another hub connected to the bridge before just to see if that would help (i.e. negotiate the correct speed with the hub therefore also with the bridge) but the same thing happened.

It's very weird!!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mike B is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 07:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mike B Find more posts by Mike B Add Mike B to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mike B

Could it be that you will need to use a cross-over cable to connect to the wired side of this particular bridge? If you connect it directly to your router then it works ok, but this would probably do 'auto-uplink' (and so would cross-over where necessary). If the bridge doesn't do this, then maybe you need to change the cable. Do you get a link light on the hub (for the port connected to the TiVo) when you connected that in between?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

adrianb is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 08:47 PM
adrianb

I don't think you need to use a cross-over cable as the bridge was supplied with a standard ethernet cable and when I tried two other devices with it they worked fine. When I connect the TiVo to the bridge, the bridge ethernet link light is on. The same when connected to the bridge via a hub (both on the hub and the bridge)

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 09:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

Have you tried power cycling the bridge when the TiVo is on - I have founds that because the Cachecard doesn't activate its Ethernet port for several minuets after power up that some network equipment doesn't see it.

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

adrianb is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 11:49 PM
adrianb

I gave that another try (rebooting bridge) but still cannot ping the TiVo.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Paul Stimpson is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 03:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Stimpson Find more posts by Paul Stimpson Add Paul Stimpson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Stimpson

You could try telnetting into the bridge and see if it has a CLI interface. If not you could try putting a cheap switch/hub between the TiVo and the bridge. That way they will hopefully both negotiate successfullly with the switch if they don't work well together.

Cheers,
Paul.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

adrianb is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 09:54 PM
adrianb

Thanks for that!! I've managed to borrow a spare hub off a friend so I shall try that out tonight.

I tried an old Wireless Access point the other day which can be configured as a bridge. The interesting thing was that no link light came on. I tested it with another ethernet connection and it came on. Perhaps I do need a crossover cable (as my router does support auto uplink).

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

adrianb is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 06:32 PM
adrianb

Success!!! I borrowed a friends old 10Mb hub and the TiVo connected at 10Mb half duplex!! I've now ordered a cheap 10/100 switch so hopefully that should resolve the problem. So I suppose the moral of this story is to avoid using the WGE101 bridge with a TiVo.

Many thanks for everyone's help with this!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged