TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> no landline directtivo <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chack22 is offline Old Post 06-21-2004 11:59 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for chack22 Find more posts by chack22 Add chack22 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chack22

Question no landline directtivo

I recently bought a phillips 704 Directtivo, just to see if I could make it work. I was told all I have to do is plug it into a neighbors house, do the phone setup and it would download the new software ver 4.?? so I would work with my linksys wireless network at my home. I did all of that... still version 3.2.?? Am I missing a step, or is it impossible to do? I dont want to rip the tivo apart. Any input would be appreciated.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bigpuma is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 12:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bigpuma Find more posts by bigpuma Add bigpuma to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigpuma
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: no landline directtivo

quote:
Originally posted by chack22
I recently bought a phillips 704 Directtivo, just to see if I could make it work. I was told all I have to do is plug it into a neighbors house, do the phone setup and it would download the new software ver 4.?? so I would work with my linksys wireless network at my home. I did all of that... still version 3.2.?? Am I missing a step, or is it impossible to do? I dont want to rip the tivo apart. Any input would be appreciated.

Directivos don't have version 4.0 yet and therefore unless you do some extra hacking there is no way to hook it up to your network. However, all of the guide data comes from the satelite so since you have done the initial set up with a phone line you can still use it correctly without. After 14 days it will start giving you reminder messages to hook it up to the phone line but you never have to. When a new version of the software comes out you can take it back to the house with a landline and force a call to get the update.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chack22 is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 12:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chack22 Find more posts by chack22 Add chack22 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chack22

Talking

So after the initial phone call... it will be good to go i.e. fully functional, all I have to do is ignore some stupid message until an actual update comes about? If so, thanks bp for the quick response, I'm excited to see how it works before I upgrade it.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bigpuma is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 01:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bigpuma Find more posts by bigpuma Add bigpuma to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bigpuma

quote:
Originally posted by chack22
So after the initial phone call... it will be good to go i.e. fully functional, all I have to do is ignore some stupid message until an actual update comes about? If so, thanks bp for the quick response, I'm excited to see how it works before I upgrade it.

Correct, it should work. I currently have 2 units that have not been plugged into a phone line in 2 months. Both work flawlessly and have accurate guide data.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

taer is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 09:42 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for taer Find more posts by taer Add taer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
taer

What does the phone line do then? I was thinking of getting an ethernet setup for my DTivo. Does it just use the phone/ethernet for software updates?

And, if I go the ethernet route, does it use that for the PayPerView billing stuff?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ebonovic is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 09:51 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ebonovic Find more posts by ebonovic Add ebonovic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ebonovic

As of yet, you can't use Ethernet for a non-hacked DTivo.

The phone line serves a dual purpose.

- Communication with TiVo Servers.
This will upload your programming view data (if you are still opted in).
It is the method you get Software updates (which happen rarely, so you can watch the forum for when it happens).

- Communication with DirecTV Servers.
Upload PayPerView billing information. You can get around this by buying your PPV via the DirecTV.com website.

Earl

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

taer is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 09:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for taer Find more posts by taer Add taer to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
taer

I'm planning to add the cache-card, and the full suite of utilities. All I've done so far is install a new HD. So I do the cache-card, and set the dialing prefix to ,#401 will that do both communications, or just the Tivo ones?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ebonovic is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 10:13 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ebonovic Find more posts by ebonovic Add ebonovic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ebonovic

I am pretty sure 75% that it will only do the TiVo communications.

The way around that for PPV is to use the DirecTV.com website to order your movies.

Check in the underground for the specifics on using the Cache-Card.
Also, what model DTivo do you have? At last check the cache-card was only available for Series 1 units.

Earl

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

taer is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 10:01 AM
taer

I have a Series 1 tivo, phillips I believe. As long as tivo works, I'll be happy.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged