TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> HD TiVo or HD Rcvr+SA TiVo/DVDR? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
higuy83 is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 11:16 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for higuy83 Find more posts by higuy83 Add higuy83 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
higuy83

Lightbulb HD TiVo or HD Rcvr+SA TiVo/DVDR?

Hi everyone. I am in a bit of a quandary and would appreciate anyoneís help.

I will soon be upgrading my bedroom setup to accommodate a new LCD HDTV (Sharp LC-26GA4U or LC-32G4UÖ probably the former because of space limitations) and would like to fully take advantage of it by changing out my DirecTiVo (DSR7000) for one of two new setups:

1) Buy an HD TiVo only (letís pretend that a $1000 purchase and the word only can be used in the same sentence.)
2) Buy a DirecTV HD Receiver (any equipment suggestions here?) and pair it with a SA TiVo unit (the Pioneer TiVo/DVD-R combo).

If I get #1, I wonít have enough money to get a DVD recorder (which is fine because I couldnít burn HD footage to a DVD anyways). However, I would have HDMI to connect to the new TV, which would be great, plus the core TiVo functions that I currently have perfectly and digitally paired with DirecTV.

If I go the second route, I would connect the component output (or DVI or HDMI output if available) of the HD Receiver directly to the TV for live HD viewing, and would connect a second output connection (S-Video, R/L audio) to the inputs on the SA TiVo unit (so that I could maintain TiVo functionality and burn DVDs of non-HD broadcasts.) Additionally with this arrangement, I could take full advantage of TiVoís Series2 features like Photo, Music sharing and Remote Scheduling (the latter I really, really, really want.)

Beyond giving me recommendations between these two options, I also have a few other questions for anyone feeling extra generousÖ

- The connections I have outlined in setup #2 can be done, right? That is, the HD receiver can output two connections simultaneously, allowing me to TiVo normally while also allowing me to watch live HD whenever I want (by changing the TVís input).
- As far as HD receivers go, does anyone have any recommendations on which model to choose for the #2 setup? To be specific, I would really like one with HDMI, yet canít find one in my research yetÖ anyone have any pre-release info?
- If I set the SA TiVo to always record at the highest quality setting, will I notice any downgrade in PQ between this #2 setup and my current DSR7000 (which obviously has no quality setting and always records at DirecTVís digital quality)?
- Does anyone have any information regarding DirecTVís future adoption of Series2 features in their TiVo units (or, for that matter, even upgrading to TiVoís latest software release for the SA units)? If DTV plans on making some of these features available, it would make giving up all of these features that a SA TiVo can offer much easier.

Thanks so much for reading this far and hearing me out. Hopefully someone can help me, as I really donít want to regret this decision down the line. Thanks againÖ

Gratefully,
-higuy83

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

pkscout is offline Old Post 06-22-2004 01:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for pkscout Find more posts by pkscout Add pkscout to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
pkscout
TiVo Forum Special Member

Re: HD TiVo or HD Rcvr+SA TiVo/DVDR?

quote:
Originally posted by higuy83
1) Buy an HD TiVo only (letís pretend that a $1000 purchase and the word only can be used in the same sentence.)
2) Buy a DirecTV HD Receiver (any equipment suggestions here?) and pair it with a SA TiVo unit (the Pioneer TiVo/DVD-R combo).

If you really really want remote scheduling, the SA TiVo is the only option for you. But I'm not sure you'll save much money going that route. The HD TiVo is $1,000. Assuming you can't get any new subscriber or loyal customer deals, I think the DTV HD recievers are going to be around $400. Add $450 to that for the SA TiVo with lifetime and you're almost all the way to the HD TiVo.

quote:

- If I set the SA TiVo to always record at the highest quality setting, will I notice any downgrade in PQ between this #2 setup and my current DSR7000 (which obviously has no quality setting and always records at DirecTVís digital quality)?

There will be a noticable difference in quality. The DTiVo takes the digital stream and stores it. No loss of data. With the other setup, the box decodes it, sends it as analog to the TiVo, and the TiVo re-encodes it. I've had both a SA and a DTiVo (the HDTiVo actually) and I can definitely tell a difference.
quote:

- Does anyone have any information regarding DirecTVís future adoption of Series2 features in their TiVo units (or, for that matter, even upgrading to TiVoís latest software release for the SA units)? If DTV plans on making some of these features available, it would make giving up all of these features that a SA TiVo can offer much easier.

Nobody has any official word. There are rumors that 4.x may be available for the DTiVos this year sometime, but it isn't clear if that includes the HDTiVos and it isn't clear if that would include any HMO functionality or just the core 4.x software.

My personal advice would be to get the HDTiVo. Previously, when forced to choose between live HD and recorded SD, recorded almost always won out, so I never got to watch much HD. Now that I have the HDTiVo, I'm watching a lot more HD stuff. That said, if remote scheduling and HMO are really important to you, don't get something hoping the features will be added later.

Basically, it's all about priorities and trade offs.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bigg is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 09:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bigg Find more posts by Bigg Add Bigg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigg
Advanced Member

I'd keep the SD DTiVo and get an HDTiVo as well. HDTiVo is true HD timeshifitng! A standalone DVD burner could always be added later to the DSR7000.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JimSpence is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 09:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JimSpence Visit JimSpence's homepage! Find more posts by JimSpence Add JimSpence to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JimSpence
TiVo Forum Special Member

A variant of Bigg's suggestion. Keep the DSR7000 for SD recordings and go for a non DVR HD receiver. If you did spend the $$$ for the HDTiVo, I'd still keep the DSR for SD recordings, no need to fill the HDTiVo with SD stuff.

Waivers for all four nets are in place.
I'm suspicious of newbies, but tolerant!
And, just because I have a bunch of posts doesn't mean I'm always right.
Add 1231 for accurate post count.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gomer Pyle is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 10:06 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gomer Pyle Find more posts by Gomer Pyle Add Gomer Pyle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gomer Pyle

I had HD cable and never watched it. Time shifting for me is much more important than HD.

I say go for the HDTiVo.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged