TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo UK
>>> Cachecard .. how to disable ftp/telnet + security? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
magyosha is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 12:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for magyosha Visit magyosha's homepage! Find more posts by magyosha Add magyosha to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
magyosha

Cachecard .. how to disable ftp/telnet + security?

Hi there ...
got my cachecard today .. fiited it .. so eassssyyyyy ...(t.y. ashmead boy:-)
had a few learning curves on the simple things like getting 'ls' to work ...
simple matter of RTFM :-)

now security .. imho .. the whole idea of the cachecard or anything like a turbonet card is to enable remote setting of recording etc. if i was at home i'd use the remote control .. :-)
so i've setup the the tivoweb .. set a password for login etc .
but that leaves me with telnet & ftpd to deal with ..
i guess i can just delete the tivoftpd file to kill that, but is there a way to set a user/password for login instead or is remove ftpd the only option?

next is telnet .. where is it .. can i stop it running ? i should i hope have no need to use it once i'm setup so is there a something i can stop running ? or again . .can i just set a user/password for login ?

the tivo itself is going to live on a dmz behind a linksys broadband cable modem router (BEFSR41) .. wiht 2 other home pc's .. i do not wish to have to set up another pc to proxy .... sort of defies the object really..

any other security things to take into consideration ?

so any advice is welcome .. :-)

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sanderton is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 12:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sanderton Visit sanderton's homepage! Find more posts by sanderton Add sanderton to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sanderton
TiVoer since 11/2000

You can't set up passwords for telnet - at least not in any way that offers proper secrurity. I guess you could set the telnet session to boot into a script which asked for a prompt. I think cojonesdetoro posted one; can't remmeber if it was here or on Deal Database. You WILL need telnet access in the future, believe me!

FTP has no password system.

But the question is: why have the TiVo in a DMZ?

Put it on your network proper and only open up a single port to forward to 80, or for extra security route an open port through software like orenosp or apache (which doesn't defeat the object, as the object is to access from outside your network?).

Check out my hacks, including intelligent automatic padding, background re-prioritise Season Passes in TiVoWeb, make your TiVo send you a daily status e-mail, and other stuff we can't talk about on TC here TiVos: 110Gb + Sky + CacheCard, 160Gb + Freeview + CacheCard, 110Gb + just network (Turbonet & 802.11g)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

magyosha is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 12:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for magyosha Visit magyosha's homepage! Find more posts by magyosha Add magyosha to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
magyosha

by defeat the object i mean that i do not wish to use another pc to do things . . like proxy etc .. it may be the best method i accept but i'm sure the kids or wife would just switch it off ..
you says i'll need telnet in the future .. is this for things yet to come .. or for the disapering /var/hacks directory or just for plain adding stuff as i go

i've not really looked to hard at the dmz settings .. so i'll look and see if i can just open port 80 ...

looks like i found what i'm after ..
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=169844
hack manager

Last edited by magyosha on 06-23-2004 at 01:12 AM

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

iankb is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 01:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for iankb Find more posts by iankb Add iankb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
iankb
TiVo Forum Special Member

You don't want to put a TiVo, let alone your home PC's, on a DMZ. The DMZ is for outward-facing devices only. Put them on an internal network behind a NAT firewall.

For gold text on leather in TiVoWeb, try the redbook, bluebook, greenbook and blackbook themes, now updated with button menus

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Paul Stimpson is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 01:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Paul Stimpson Find more posts by Paul Stimpson Add Paul Stimpson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Paul Stimpson

Hi,

Go to the forwarding tab of the advanced setup on your BEFSR41 and forward port 80 to the TiVo. You don't need another PC as the Linksys can do everything you need. You need to remove the TiVo from the DMZ setup if you've already put it in there.

I really suggest you don't put your TiVo in as the Linksys' DMZ host. There is nothing to be gained by doing so other than a load of security headaches. Keep ftp and telnet running. You will need them in the future and the Linksys will protect them from the outside world as long as the TiVo isn't in the DMZ and you don't forward those ports.

Cheers,
Paul.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged