TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> (slightly-OT) Splitting OTA HD feed and wiring panels <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Fezmid is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 11:16 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fezmid Find more posts by Fezmid Add Fezmid to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fezmid

(slightly-OT) Splitting OTA HD feed and wiring panels

Hi all,
I'm in the process of finishing my basement, and have all of the house's RG6 and cat5e runs going to a central location. Right now it's in a cheap $15 cabinet that juts out a good 3' from the wall. Well, that needs to go so I'm looking at a distribution panel. At first glance, this project is going to be *expensive* as the panels alone cost over $100 (I'm looking at this one right now: http://www.hometech.com/techwire/cvenc.html#CV-C0138E).

My main question is regarding splitting the OTA HD feed. I have an OTA antenna connected to my dish. The signal is multiplexed onto one wire, then diplexed in the basement (one feed goes into the multiswitch, the other is my HD cable). I want to be able to send that signal to multiple TVs in the house if needed, so I need a splitter. I was looking at this:

http://www.hometech.com/techwire/cvcoax.html#CV-C0314

Before spending nearly $50, I want to make sure it'll work. I don't see why not, but better safe than sorry (especially since I have no HD tuners in the house to even test this with yet... I sold the one from the $99 deal and am waiting to finish the basement before buying the HD-TiVo). Also, I was planning on using the existing cable infrastructure for the HD signal - if that's RG59, is that a problem for OTA HD?

If anyone has any comments (or recommendations) on wiring panels (or knows of a cheaper place to buy them!!!), I'd *really* appreciate it. My current order is coming out at around $400

CW

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Antennaman is offline Old Post 06-23-2004 11:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Antennaman Find more posts by Antennaman Add Antennaman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Antennaman

Hope this helps

First : you must be mighty close to the transmitters to be getting away with splitting the OTA signal for HD. In a tough signal location that splitter would kill the OTA signal strength. You really need to try it and see what happens. If you try it and lose enough signal then your going to be getting into bigger antennas and amplifiers, rotators and the whole nine yards. Internal amplifiers are famous for amplifying garbage. Whats that saying. Garbage in garbage out. With your indication that you have an antenna on your dish I assume you have a very strong signal (lucky) and it will probably work fine. Buying that splitter and trying it is still going to be a lot cheaper than hiring someone with the right equipment to come in and measure and test everything. RG59 is not what you should be using. Upgrade to heavier RG6 the loss is much less when running a lot of cables. Just to give you an example of how splitters can affect the signal here is the loss on a common 4 way. 5MHz-1GHz: -7.4dB
A lot of loss for one small device.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fezmid is offline Old Post 06-24-2004 12:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fezmid Find more posts by Fezmid Add Fezmid to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fezmid

Re: Hope this helps

quote:
Originally posted by Antennaman
First : you must be mighty close to the transmitters to be getting away with splitting the OTA signal for HD. In a tough signal location that splitter would kill the OTA signal strength. You really need to try it and see what happens. If you try it and lose enough signal then your going to be getting into bigger antennas and amplifiers, rotators and the whole nine yards. Internal amplifiers are famous for amplifying garbage. Whats that saying. Garbage in garbage out. With your indication that you have an antenna on your dish I assume you have a very strong signal (lucky) and it will probably work fine. Buying that splitter and trying it is still going to be a lot cheaper than hiring someone with the right equipment to come in and measure and test everything. RG59 is not what you should be using. Upgrade to heavier RG6 the loss is much less when running a lot of cables. Just to give you an example of how splitters can affect the signal here is the loss on a common 4 way. 5MHz-1GHz: -7.4dB
A lot of loss for one small device.

When I had the HD DirecTV receiver, I was getting 90%-93% on most of the channels (one was only 75% though...). That's when the signal was diplexed to its own wire, and then directly to the HD receiver. It was also in the dead of winter (February in Minnesota), if that makes a difference.

Since I'm getting a good signal, I was hoping that the amplifier on this device would help things out. It sucks that I won't be able to tell for sure...

I'm not sure if my current cables are RG59 or RG6 (I know my sat cables are RG6, but not sure about the stuff that the builder put in). If it's only RG59, there's really no way for me to swap that out since it's a two story house. I could do the living room, but not the bedrooms. I can deal with that though.

CW

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged