TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
>>> CompUSA Maxtor 200GB drive rebate question <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Ladd Morse is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 12:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladd Morse Find more posts by Ladd Morse Add Ladd Morse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladd Morse

CompUSA Maxtor 200GB drive rebate question

I just received the 200GB Maxtor drive the I ordered online last week during CompUSA's "$100 after rebate" sale and I have a question about the rebate form.

The fine print has all the normal "must be purchased during the time window specified and have receipt to prove it" and "must be mailed by a certain date" stuff, but there is a short sentence in there that I haven't seen before with any Staples /Office Depot/Office Max rebates:

"Postage and sales tax required for mail-in rebate".

I am applying for a mail-in rebate. I did pay sales tax on the order (there are CompUSA retail stores in my state). And I did pay a shipping fee, albeit only one cent.

Am I OK here? I don't want to get tripped up by some obscure requirement...

Other than the normal triple-check all instructions and keep copies of everything (and, given that it is a $60 rebate, perhaps even send the rebate in certified return-receipt), is CompUSA famous for any shenanigans I need to be aware of before mailing?

313 hours Basic quality

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 06:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

I think what they mean is that you have to pay postage to apply for the rebate, and that you are charged sales tax on the pre-rebate price. Strange way of putting it, though.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ladd Morse is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Ladd Morse Find more posts by Ladd Morse Add Ladd Morse to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Ladd Morse

quote:
Originally posted by stevel
I think what they mean is that you have to pay postage to apply for the rebate, and that you are charged sales tax on the pre-rebate price. Strange way of putting it, though.

I'm not sure how I would get the mail-in rebate to the fulfillment house without paying for the postage on the envelope. Are they attempting to block people from sending it postage-due?

And since I have already purchased the drive (a necessary requirement for obtaining the sales receipt!) and paid tax on the full amount (as is the case with every other rebate item I've ever seen), I'm simply at a loss as to what legal scenario they are attempting to define.

I'm up for any humorous twisted situation that folks can conjure up (what ARE those lawyers thinking about anyways), but I'm always mindful that rebate fine-print is there to catch you, not help you...

313 hours Basic quality

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dalesd is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 08:52 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dalesd Find more posts by dalesd Add dalesd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dalesd

quote:
Originally posted by Ladd Morse
I'm up for any humorous twisted situation that folks can conjure up (what ARE those lawyers thinking about anyways), but I'm always mindful that rebate fine-print is there to catch you, not help you...

I think they're protecting themselves against people who will complain that the item was advertised as "$100 after rebate", so they shouln't have to pay tax, or for the stamp.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Ladd Morse is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:05 PM
Ladd Morse

quote:
Originally posted by dalesd
I think they're protecting themselves against people who will complain that the item was advertised as "$100 after rebate", so they shouln't have to pay tax, or for the stamp.
Works for me.

313 hours Basic quality

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 07:53 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

Some states have laws that require that all the expenses be spelled out.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged