TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> Is this possible with a DirectTivo.......? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cktb2793 is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 09:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cktb2793 Find more posts by cktb2793 Add cktb2793 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cktb2793

Is this possible with a DirectTivo.......?

I just ordered DirectTV with 3 Tivos and I have a couple questions

1) Right now I have cable with their DVR. When I set it to record a certain show whenever it comes on, I have the option of telling it to only record first run shows (ie...no reruns) Will I still have this option on DirectTivo?

2) Also, when I tell their DVR to record a specific show all the time, I have the option of telling it to record every episode first run or repeat but I can tell it to only tape the show on a specific channel this keeps it from grabbing thousands of episodes of the show in syndication on other channels. Will I still have this option with DirectTivo?

3) I can also tell their DVR to only record a show at a specific time of the day whenever it is on. For instance, I have it recording Road Rules whenever it comes on at 10pm. Then it only gets recorded once per week instead of the 40 times the same episode plays on MTV since they don't ever say in the guide if it's first run or not. Will I still have this option with DirectTivo?

Thanks for any answers

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

diggerg56 is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 09:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for diggerg56 Find more posts by diggerg56 Add diggerg56 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
diggerg56
Stranded in Iowa

The Season Pass Manager that is part of the DirecTivo Menu System should be accomplish everything you are asking about. Of course the guide data has to be correct for it to wok properly but mistakes are pretty rare.

Directv D10
Zinwell Multiswitch

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

skaeight is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 09:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for skaeight Find more posts by skaeight Add skaeight to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skaeight

Tivo invented all three of those features. By the sounds of it, you are going to love the Season Pass feature, because it handles all three of these issues flawlessly.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cktb2793 is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 09:29 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for cktb2793 Find more posts by cktb2793 Add cktb2793 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cktb2793

Great!!! Thank you, those were the only things I was worried about when I decided to make the switch. Now I just can't wait for them to come.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

su_A_ve is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 10:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for su_A_ve Find more posts by su_A_ve Add su_A_ve to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
su_A_ve

You'll love SP...

For most shows, the guide data will include info on the show. In that case, even though you tell it to record reruns, it would only record it once every 28 days. But not only from that same channel, but from others.

A good example is kids shows... Say 'Blues Clues'. It will pick it up from Nick JR east, west, Noggin, and CBS on Saturdays... But the guide data has info on the episode's name, so only those gets recorded...

Then you tell it to only keep the last 5, and that's what it would do...

My .02...

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

buffan is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 11:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for buffan Find more posts by buffan Add buffan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buffan

Maybe I'm just not thinking right...but how would you accomplish exactly what the OP says in Option 3?

Obviously, you could manually record by time/channel. But I'm not sure how I'd set up an SP to record a specific show ONLY at a specific time.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Dolfo is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 12:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Dolfo Find more posts by Dolfo Add Dolfo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Dolfo
Avid TV Watcher

quote:
Originally posted by buffan
Maybe I'm just not thinking right...but how would you accomplish exactly what the OP says in Option 3?

Obviously, you could manually record by time/channel. But I'm not sure how I'd set up an SP to record a specific show ONLY at a specific time.

I was wondering the same thing. If a certain show comes on at 1pm, 5pm, 7pm and 9pm every day, how do you program a SP to JUST record the 7pm showing?

DTiVo's can handle this problem by keeping track of shows that have recorded in the past 30 days (or whatever) and not recording duplicates (unless you specify to record all including duplicates), but I don't know of a way to program the SP to record only the episode aired at a given time.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LarryS is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 01:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for LarryS Find more posts by LarryS Add LarryS to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LarryS

A manual recording is the only way to record an episode at a particular time. This does become an entry on your season pass list. Also its important to know that a season pass is specific to channel while a wish list is not.

Total Choice Plus w/locals

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

mjitkop is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 01:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for mjitkop Find more posts by mjitkop Add mjitkop to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
mjitkop

The only way that comes close to doing case number 3 described by the OP is to program a manual recording at 10pm. The only problem is that it will record whatever is being aired at 10 even if one day it is not Road Rules.
Unfortunately, it is not possible to do it as requested but boy have I wished many times that it was possible too.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JFriday is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 01:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JFriday Find more posts by JFriday Add JFriday to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JFriday
Advanced Member

The problem with MTV shows is bad guide data, Manual recording is the way to go with most of their shows. Although some of their newer shows have had better guide data.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

brophey is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 01:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for brophey Find more posts by brophey Add brophey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
brophey
Woof woof!

Now, for option 3, think about it for a second. TiVo is much smarter than these crappy DVRs.

If the guide data is correct, it will only record ONE singular eppisode of a show. For example, if they showed Road Rules:Eppisode 512 10 times a day, it will only record it once. You will only get one show for that day. This actually extends out 28 days, so if an eppisode appears and is recorded, then it will not be recorded again for 28 days.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cktb2793 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 01:48 AM
cktb2793

quote:
Originally posted by brophey
Now, for option 3, think about it for a second. TiVo is much smarter than these crappy DVRs.

If the guide data is correct, it will only record ONE singular eppisode of a show. For example, if they showed Road Rules:Eppisode 512 10 times a day, it will only record it once. You will only get one show for that day. This actually extends out 28 days, so if an eppisode appears and is recorded, then it will not be recorded again for 28 days.

The only problem is that Road Rules and Real World usually only have guide data the first time the episode is run and then after that it just says "reality series" but it never tells you if it's a rerun or not.

My cable PVR can be set to always record a specific show on a specific channel starting at a specific time on only a specific day of the week. If anything else plays on that day and time it just doesn't record. Can DirectTivo's really not do this???

Can I just tell the Tivo to ALWAYS tape MTV at a specific day of the week and time no matter what is on??? Boy I hope so or my box is going to get filled up with Road Rules and Real World and I'll have to use one box just for that.

MTV never changes their program start time and day so just telling it that one day and time wouldn't cause me to ever miss it.

Last edited by cktb2793 on 06-26-2004 at 01:54 AM

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Jonathan_S is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 02:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Jonathan_S Find more posts by Jonathan_S Add Jonathan_S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Jonathan_S
TiVo Forum Special Member

quote:
Originally posted by cktb2793
Can I just tell the Tivo to ALWAYS tape MTV at a specific day of the week and time no matter what is on? [/B]
Yes, you can tell the DTiVo to record MTV on Monday at 3pm, every Monday. (for example).

However you can't tell it to record MTV on Monday if and only if the Title = "Road Rules" at 4pm.

TiVo hasn't appeared to be very interested in adding additional code and features to deal with poor guide data. They have season passes and wishlists which work great for good guide data, and manual timed recording for everything else. Nothing in between.

Now this has never been a real problem for me since I record very few shows that consistently have guide problems, but I know that people who record a lot from Comedy Central and MTV would really like a middle ground. (Of course what they would really really like to good guide data )

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

buffan is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 03:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for buffan Find more posts by buffan Add buffan to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buffan

Glad to see that people agree with me that #3 isn't really possible (although there is a suitable workaround).

I was stumped as to how the OP's original question had been answered incorrectly and nobody on this forum had noticed for several hours. Usually somebody jumps right in and corrects it. I was wondering if I was missing something! And I've had Tivo for 4.5 years.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tigerdriver is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 08:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tigerdriver Visit tigerdriver's homepage! Find more posts by tigerdriver Add tigerdriver to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tigerdriver
Gruntled

quote:
Originally posted by skaeight
Tivo invented all three of those features.

Patents on these inventions are held by ReplayTV, not Tivo. See http://www.campbells.org/Rant+Rave/...ivoPatents.html for details.

joe

(80G (modified for cool silent running)

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cktb2793 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 11:21 AM
cktb2793

quote:
Originally posted by Jonathan_S
Yes, you can tell the DTiVo to record MTV on Monday at 3pm, every Monday. (for example).

However you can't tell it to record MTV on Monday if and only if the Title = "Road Rules" at 4pm.

TiVo hasn't appeared to be very interested in adding additional code and features to deal with poor guide data. They have season passes and wishlists which work great for good guide data, and manual timed recording for everything else. Nothing in between.

Now this has never been a real problem for me since I record very few shows that consistently have guide problems, but I know that people who record a lot from Comedy Central and MTV would really like a middle ground. (Of course what they would really really like to good guide data )

Great, as long as I can at least tell it to tape the same time, day, and channel every week no matter what is on, I'm happy.

Thanks for the explanation.

(it is strange though, that the cable PVR that doesn't do half the stuff Tivo does can tell it do all that and also tell it to only do it if a specific show is on )

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bodosom is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 10:38 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for bodosom Find more posts by bodosom Add bodosom to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bodosom
Just another tivotee

There are a set of things that you can't do with a TiVo. Some are really annoying ... some aren't. But I'm not giving up my TiVos just yet. Things I'd like to be able to do:

1) Record using Dolby Digital as a qualifier.
2) Prefer one channel over another (Showtime vs Sho2).
3) and of course soft padding (in the UTV style).

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

classicsat is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 02:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for classicsat Find more posts by classicsat Add classicsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
classicsat
Astute User

Re: Is this possible with a DirectTivo.......?

quote:
Originally posted by cktb2793
I just ordered DirectTV with 3 Tivos and I have a couple questions

1) Right now I have cable with their DVR. When I set it to record a certain show whenever it comes on, I have the option of telling it to only record first run shows (ie...no reruns) Will I still have this option on DirectTivo?

2) Also, when I tell their DVR to record a specific show all the time, I have the option of telling it to record every episode first run or repeat but I can tell it to only tape the show on a specific channel this keeps it from grabbing thousands of episodes of the show in syndication on other channels. Will I still have this option with DirectTivo?

Yes, Season Pass does this well (as said). *As long as guide data is accurate and complete. Missing and incorrect data will cause SP to misfunction, recording multiple instances of the same program, re-runs, or every episode.
quote:

3) I can also tell their DVR to only record a show at a specific time of the day whenever it is on. For instance, I have it recording Road Rules whenever it comes on at 10pm. Then it only gets recorded once per week instead of the 40 times the same episode plays on MTV since they don't ever say in the guide if it's first run or not. Will I still have this option with DirectTivo?

Thanks for any answers

Manual recording does this, as long as the program is on when the rcording is scheduled.

POST #18 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged