TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> Connect DVD to TiVo <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
chipmaster is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 09:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for chipmaster Find more posts by chipmaster Add chipmaster to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chipmaster

Connect DVD to TiVo

Is it possible to connect a DVD player directly to a TiVo in order to record DVD's?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

T-Veaux is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 11:41 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for T-Veaux Find more posts by T-Veaux Add T-Veaux to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
T-Veaux
"Brilliant!"

Yes but you'll won't be able to name the recording correctly and there will be a 2 second delay in what is playing and what is being shown... thus it makes remote functions awkward but doable. We used to record Netflix DVDs if we were busy and watch them while they were being shipped back. Just run the audio/video out on the DVD player to the in on TiVo. You then just have to do a manual record.

"Brilliant!" - TiVoPony | "Brilliant!" - phone1 | "T-Veaux's brilliant..." - TiVoOpsMgr

Can you see my ego swelling from there??

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gof is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 09:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for gof Find more posts by gof Add gof to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gof

What was the impact of Macrovision on the recording quality? I thought the TiVo was made to recognise the macrovision tag?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

classicsat is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 10:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for classicsat Find more posts by classicsat Add classicsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
classicsat
Astute User

AFAIK, it doesn't react to it, but will pass it through.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chipmaster is offline Old Post 06-25-2004 10:41 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for chipmaster Find more posts by chipmaster Add chipmaster to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
chipmaster

Thanks, T-Veaux. I saw the input jacks on the TiVo and thought, wouldn't it be nice to be able to record DVD's onto the TiVo HD.
I'll it a try.
...chipmaster

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gof is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 03:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gof Find more posts by gof Add gof to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gof

quote:
Originally posted by classicsat
AFAIK, it doesn't react to it, but will pass it through.

This means it can effectively strip it and then re-generate it on display? I would assume being able to record a macrovision encoded signal would be a problem. Does anyone know if they are handling it like a DVD (i.e., a bit set to indicate macrovision then generate the "protection" at playtime)?

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chipmaster is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 03:22 AM
chipmaster

My DVD has progressive scan component output which connects to the TV via three coax cables into the Component input of the TV. I also have a video out and 2CH audio out which I connected to my TiVo IN. My TiVo goes to Input 1 on the TV.
Just exactly what is the operating procedure to record a DVD on TiVo? I tried all sorts of things and couldn't get the TiVo to recognize the DVD, including disconnecting my TV cable from the TiVo input.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

classicsat is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 02:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for classicsat Find more posts by classicsat Add classicsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
classicsat
Astute User

Since your DVD has Prograsssive out, I suspect there is either a switch on the back, or a menu option in the DVD player, to switch between Progressive component, Interlaced component, and S-video/composite.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

chipmaster is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 11:33 PM
chipmaster

Still unable to record a DVD on my TiVo.
TiVo has two inputs, RF cable or RCA connectors for Video and audio. Default is the RF cable. How do you select the RCA connection?
I would assume when the RCA connection is selected it will be possible to view the DVD on "Watch Live TV".
Thanks for any response.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

blonde1271 is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 01:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for blonde1271 Find more posts by blonde1271 Add blonde1271 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blonde1271

I am trying to get mine configured to record DVD's too and am having the same exact problem. Any hints anyone??

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PortlandPaw is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 03:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PortlandPaw Visit PortlandPaw's homepage! Find more posts by PortlandPaw Add PortlandPaw to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PortlandPaw
Woodstock-era Hacker

Assuming that there aren't any copy-protection problems, I would use the same method many people use to record from a VCR. This also assumes that all of your stations are coming in on either RF or RCA a/v, but not both. The directions below will have to be modified to fit your exact situation, but you should get the general idea.

In this example, assume the user gets all channels via cable coming in via a/v. The DVD output is hooked to the TiVo's RF input.

Specifically, run Guided Setup and indicate that you have both cable and satellite. Assign cable to a/v and satellite to RF. Choose a channel number that you don't use that corresponds to a satellite channel name that doesn't embarrass you. For example, it might be better to choose "Showtime" than "Pleasure" -- it will show up on Now Playing, along with the program names which, of course, will be wrong and will have to be changed in TivoWeb.

Deselect all of the satellite channels except for the one you selected. You'll get one unwanted and inaccurate channel in your program guide, but you can live with that.

Now, when you tune to that channel, TiVo will switch to RF and bring in the output of your DVD player. It will have the two second delay as mentioned before, but it will become program material like anything else.

To record the DVD input, just set a manual recording for the "phantom channel" at a particular time and start the DVD when the channel changes and the recording starts.

Kind of kludgy, but it works well for me and my VCR. Should work as well for a DVD.

Maine........................ Resource List
58.5 gig HDR-112 since October, 2000
240 gig, 306 hours since January, 2004 (same machine)
120 gig DSR6000 DirecTiVo

"Just because it doesn't have buttons on the front doesn't mean it's not working!
And, no, it's not a VCR!"

There are 10 kinds of people, those who count in binary and those who don't.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged