TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
>>> Suggestions deletion question <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
kbmb is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 01:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for kbmb Find more posts by kbmb Add kbmb to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
kbmb

Suggestions deletion question

So I finally started using Suggestions (mainly to estimate free space....not sure why I waited so long to do this??) but also to peak my interest in other shows.

Anyway....my question is.....does TiVo automatically delete suggestions, to record NEW suggestions? Or am I forced to delete some to have it record new one's?

Thanks!

-Kevin

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dirtypacman is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 01:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dirtypacman Visit dirtypacman's homepage! Find more posts by dirtypacman Add dirtypacman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dirtypacman
Best in Class

It will automaticaly keep the most up to date suggestions for you.

1) TIVO Series 2 225 Hour (Upgraded) w/monthly service
2) PIONEER #810H-S (Un-modified)
3) TIVO Series 2 80 Hour (Un-modified)
(#2/3) with Lifetime + networked

HD Comcast /Digital Comcast

Network through Verizon DSL
w/Belkin Router and (2) LinkSys USB200M ethernet adapter

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZikZak is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 02:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZikZak Visit ZikZak's homepage! Find more posts by ZikZak Add ZikZak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

Yes, it deletes suggestions to make room for newer suggestions. If you want to make sure one sticks around a while, use "Keep Until."

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

csyria is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 04:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for csyria Visit csyria's homepage! Find more posts by csyria Add csyria to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csyria
200 posts down...

Does anyone else who's suggestions work perfectly wish that they could replace expired recordings?

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 06:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

No - because that would violate the cardinal rule "Suggestions never ever delete recordings you asked to be recorded". If that rule was eliminated, a lot of people would be much more afraid of suggestions.

If you don't want a recording and want to provide more space for suggestions, feel free to delete it.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wug is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 06:43 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for wug Find more posts by wug Add wug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wug

quote:
Originally posted by ZikZak
Yes, it deletes suggestions to make room for newer suggestions. If you want to make sure one sticks around a while, use "Keep Until."

Here's something I've been wondering about...

Let's say my TiVo records a suggestion for me and as the TiVo records more suggestions (and that one moves down on the list) I decide to do a "keep until" to make sure it's safe from deletion for a few days. Well, I underestimated how much time I'd have to watch that suggestion, and the keep until date I set is passed. (Yellow exclamation point, etc.) And now TiVo has some things on the to-do list to record necessitating that it delete things from my suggestions. In this situation, will it delete the suggestion that I gave a new "save until" date, since it was recorded as a suggestion and is a lot older than many of the other suggestions recorded? Or is that suggestion now "safe" because I gave it a keep-until date, even though that date has now expired? (Obviously, this question stems from the fact that giving a suggestion a save until date, even if it's not very far in the future, automatically removes it from the suggestions folder. But I wasn't sure if that's just cosmetic or if it means that the show is now treated as other shows that were recorded from the to-do list, and given priority over all suggestions, no matter when the suggestions were recorded.)

Does that question make sense? Not something I worry about a lot, but there is a cool looking movie that I have recently given a new save until date (which I think has passed, heh), and want to make sure that that recording is really safer now than it would be in the suggestions folder. I don't want to go *poof* on me.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 07:09 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

Once you give the suggestion a "save until" date, it is treated as if it were a regular recording you asked for and is no longer considered a "suggestion".

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZikZak is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 07:12 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ZikZak Visit ZikZak's homepage! Find more posts by ZikZak Add ZikZak to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

One you "Keep Until" a suggestion, it becomes treated exactly like a suggested recording, and obtains all of the rights and privledges appertaining thereto. So like other requested recordings, it has priority over all Suggestions, forever. It's place in line for deltetion among your requested recordings, as is usual, goes by expiration date. It will even show up in the Recording History when you delete it.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wug is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 07:39 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for wug Find more posts by wug Add wug to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wug

cool, thanks!

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

David Platt is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:48 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for David Platt Find more posts by David Platt Add David Platt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
David Platt
Circa 1974

quote:
Originally posted by ZikZak
One you "Keep Until" a suggestion, it becomes treated exactly like a suggested recording

I think you meant 'requested recording' there, right?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ZikZak is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:26 PM
ZikZak
Neurostim Addict

quote:
Originally posted by David Platt
I think you meant 'requested recording' there, right?

D'oh!

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged