TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> Locals Here, But I've Got E/W Coast - Should I? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
vince911 is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 01:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for vince911 Find more posts by vince911 Add vince911 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
vince911

Locals Here, But I've Got E/W Coast - Should I?

Hi All;

I'd like the opinions of anyone who'll offer them. I've had both East and West coast networks and PBS since I got DTV in the mid-nineties. Now my "locals" are here. DTV says that they'll sell me the locals and they won't take away the E/W coast feeds, but a search of other threads here shows that that policy "might" change later. I never had to apply for waivers, so there's nothing to revoke. Having the east coast feeds is much more important to me than having my locals because it makes daily recordings off the TiVo so much more flexible.

With these givens, should I get the locals now? How big is the risk that if I do, they'll yank the feeds? Think they'll yank them eventually?

What would YOU do??

TIA

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fluffybear is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 01:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fluffybear Find more posts by Fluffybear Add Fluffybear to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fluffybear

If D* plans to take it away in the future it will not make a difference if you subscribe to the locals or not! for now, Get your locals and Enjoy!!!

Philips PTV100 (Unmodified)
DirecTV HR10-250 (70 Hours HD)
Philips DSR6000 (106 Hours)
Sony SAT-T60 (146 Hours)
Hughes HDVR2 (unmodified)

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JFriday is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 01:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JFriday Find more posts by JFriday Add JFriday to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JFriday
Advanced Member

If you can live without locals I'd do it until they make you go to locals and pull your E/W feeds. I have waivers on Fox and ABC and would hate to lose them too.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CyberGlitch is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 02:56 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for CyberGlitch Find more posts by CyberGlitch Add CyberGlitch to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CyberGlitch
TiVoHoLiC

Depends on if you like locals or not. Only thing I watch locals for is in the morning for weather, but I can get that online. If I had the option of locals or e/w feeds I'd take them in a heart beat.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

richtate is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 03:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for richtate Visit richtate's homepage! Find more posts by richtate Add richtate to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
richtate

I had the whole ball of wax for a long time. The second that NBC EW, FOX EW, ABC, CBS, PBS all showed up I got them. Over time I got them whittled down to just NBC EW. I wish I had the others but it is nice to have the locals as well. I remember when we finally got our locals in Dallas and my wife could watch Buffy on the sat instead of rabbit ears. I could watch stuff like Star Trek off the sat for once which was nice. The EW feeds from NBC are great for resolving recording conflicts on busy nights and we can watch shows that we would miss otherwise. But, like one poster said, if they want to take them away they will so get your locals and enjoy both as long as you can!

PS - I'm worried that when and if I switch or get switched from Pegasux over to DirecTV that I'll lose them anyway...we shall see.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

TomK is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 03:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for TomK Find more posts by TomK Add TomK to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
TomK

I wish I could get the East/West coast feeds instead of the locals.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

swifty is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 06:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for swifty Visit swifty's homepage! Find more posts by swifty Add swifty to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
swifty

I've had the East/West feeds since I signed up with DirecTV ten years ago, and when my locals were available two years ago, I got them too. I've never had a problem having both of them. If DTV is going to pull the national feeds, I doubt it will matter if you subscribe to the locals or not.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

jabroni is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 07:39 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jabroni Find more posts by jabroni Add jabroni to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jabroni

Get em both. I do.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

steuert is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 08:13 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for steuert Find more posts by steuert Add steuert to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
steuert
TivoGeezer

Why not cross that bridge when you come to it? As I understand it, you are happy with your E/W feeds and see no advantage to getting the locals (which will cost about $6/mo. IIRC). Wait until when and if DTV decides to yank your national feeds because you can get the nets locally, and then subscribe to the locals.

I believe the rule is that you are technically not eligible for the national feeds if you can get the locals OTA, or if you can get them via DTV, but judging from this and other threads on the subject DTV is not very consistent in enforcing this rule.

When DTV added the locals here in Tucson a year or so ago, I was subscribing to the national PBS feed (Ch. 384). I subscribed to the locals via DTV, keeping Ch. 384. A few weeks later I got a postcard from DTV saying that I could no longer receive Ch. 384 and that it would be terminated in a few weeks. I don't think it makes any difference whether you actually subscribe to the locals or not, as long as they are available to you via DTV.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SLOmike is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 08:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for SLOmike Find more posts by SLOmike Add SLOmike to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SLOmike
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by steuert

or if you can get them via DTV,

This is not true. There is no rule which says you can't have E/W just because you can get them via DTV.

There is a rule on PBS which is different from the E/W networks. If you can get a PBS from DirecTV then you are not allowed the national feed of PBS.

With the other E/W networks it is more up to your local stations. If you got a waiver with them but now you can get the locals, then they COULD cancel your waiver.

Note that new legislation currently in congress could change these rules and make it so nobody could get E/W and Locals. You would have to choose one or the other. Note that you would still have to qualify for the E/W locals (with waivers,etc) to get to make this choice.

-Mike

DirecTV customer.. Now with Locals too

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged