TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > HDTV TiVo Powered PVRs
>>> Tivo Sound Effects? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
BrianCT is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 07:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrianCT Find more posts by BrianCT Add BrianCT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrianCT

Tivo Sound Effects?

Not sure if this has been discussed before....I just noticed that while watching recorded content on HDNet and DiscoveryHD, that when I rewind/ff, there are no Tivo Sound effects. When I watch standard SD recorded stuff, the Tivo sounds are back....its not a big deal, just found it interesting.....Also, I didnt have logos on my old Series 2 Tivo, but I have them now on my HR10-250, I can see why people who had them miss them, they are nice....

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

blulite is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 07:45 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for blulite Find more posts by blulite Add blulite to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
blulite

it's in the manual. no sound effects for dolby digital.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aaronwt is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 07:54 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aaronwt Visit aaronwt's homepage! Find more posts by aaronwt Add aaronwt to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aaronwt
Advanced Member

This is the same with the SD-DirecTiVo. TiVo sound effects with PCM and no sound effects with Dolby Digital.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dilauser is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 11:56 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for dilauser Find more posts by dilauser Add dilauser to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dilauser

The sound effects are only output from the analog output jacks of the DTivo units (RF carried or discrete left/right audio output jacks). The digital audio output does not carry the sound effects (For PCM or any of the DD variants). I believe the assumption was that the digital audio connection would feed a surround system that would amplify these sound effects and potentially cause problems.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wilson is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 12:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for wilson Find more posts by wilson Add wilson to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wilson

Tivo sound effects are output thru digital PCM but not DD/DTS because DD/DTS are compressed formats and it's hard to decompress/decode, add sound, and re-encode again.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dilauser is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 03:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dilauser Find more posts by dilauser Add dilauser to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dilauser

Wilson,
please read page 11 paragraph 2 of the DSR7000 users manual, it states unequivocally, "Ordinarily your DVR produces tones to indicate certain buttons on the remote control are pressed or to indicate signal strength when you are positioning your dish. If you use the digital audio output, you will not here these tones".

The only way to get sound effects when connected to a surround receiver/pre-amp is to connect analog cables. The digital audio cable (optical) carries 48k PCM and DD, but never any sound effects. I have set many of these up in complex home theaters with expensive speakers and electronics and this feature is a saving grace.

The paragraph you refer to later in the users manual never states the TIVO sound effects are present with PCM via the digital audio output, it just states that the TIVO sound effects will not be present if you listen to DD programming. This is simply because the Digital Audio Output does not carry the signal.

Just a clarification so that nobody thinks they should here sound effects when exclusively using the optical digital audio output of the TIVO receiver.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Runch Machine is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 03:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Runch Machine Find more posts by Runch Machine Add Runch Machine to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Runch Machine

Actually you are both right. Series one Tivos such as the Sony SAT-T60 don't output sound effects through the optical audio output. The next series of Tivos do output through optical audio output, but not if the sound is DD5.1 or a varient.

Samsung SIR-S120R DirecTivo,
Sony SAT-HD200 Directv Receiver
Channel Master 4221 in garage attic for perfect over the air reception.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BrianCT is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 04:37 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BrianCT Find more posts by BrianCT Add BrianCT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BrianCT

Although I have gotten used to the sound effects in SD, I kinda prefer it without them. When I am scanning the menu's and decided what recorded show to watch, the sounds are ok then, but when its live, its nice without them...by the way thanks for answering that, I missed it in the manual.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged