TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Forum Software? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
AbMagFab is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 08:18 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for AbMagFab Visit AbMagFab's homepage! Find more posts by AbMagFab Add AbMagFab to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AbMagFab
I love my HD Tivo!!

Forum Software?

I'm looking for some forum software for personal use. Anyone know a free/near-free forum server software for non-commercial use? Looking for normal features, like multiple forums, smileys, registration, threads, hopefully search, etc.

Thanks!

SD-DVR40 240GB with Linksys USB200M, TivoWeb, TyTool, tivoapp patches, caller-id, mfs_ftp (but no S1->S2)
HR10-250 HD DirecTivo, 500GB with LinkSys USB200M, TivoWebPlus, HDTyTool, tivoapp patches, caller-id, mfs-ftp

Click to see my useless thoughts...
DirecTV + Tivo is better than Cable, you're wrong if you don't agree.
People I won't do business with ever again: 1) Value Electronics

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Marc is offline Old Post 06-26-2004 11:45 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Marc Visit Marc's homepage! Find more posts by Marc Add Marc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Marc
Advanced Member

phpBB is really good and it's free. I use it for the other forum.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robin is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 02:05 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robin Find more posts by Robin Add Robin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robin
TiVo Forum Special Member

I asked that here a while back and used phpBB on Marc's recommendation.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-v...threadid=142539

My forum has been up and running for three weeks and I've been thrilled with it. My web host, www.jatol.com, even has an installation script for it so there was no setup.

It's free, and has everything you're looking for.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

PeteEMT is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 02:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for PeteEMT Visit PeteEMT's homepage! Find more posts by PeteEMT Add PeteEMT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
PeteEMT
$user{'title'}

You want to go with something that uses a database like phpBB.

Stay away from ones that use flat files (plain text) like UBB as they a) don't scale well B) you can spend hours fixing things when a text file gets corrupted and there's alot of them! (the dbase way is also susceptible to corruption but I've maintained both and prefer the dbase). The dbase way tends to be more secure too

Only drawback is if your host doesnt offer a Database.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tomo_kun is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 03:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tomo_kun Find more posts by tomo_kun Add tomo_kun to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tomo_kun
BemaniStyle 6.0

Dont use YABB! Its plain crap.

phpBB2=the win!

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AbMagFab is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 07:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for AbMagFab Visit AbMagFab's homepage! Find more posts by AbMagFab Add AbMagFab to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
AbMagFab
I love my HD Tivo!!

I host it myself, and already have Apache, PHP, and MySQL running. It looks like that should be enough infrastructure. Thanks for the advice!

Any tips before I get started installing phpBB (like, things to do otherwise I'll have to start all over)? I'm at my in-laws right now, but will be back home tomorrow night and will likely do this to, well, recover from the weekend...

SD-DVR40 240GB with Linksys USB200M, TivoWeb, TyTool, tivoapp patches, caller-id, mfs_ftp (but no S1->S2)
HR10-250 HD DirecTivo, 500GB with LinkSys USB200M, TivoWebPlus, HDTyTool, tivoapp patches, caller-id, mfs-ftp

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

keirgrey is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 07:57 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for keirgrey Find more posts by keirgrey Add keirgrey to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
keirgrey
13th at the table

I used Snitz forums for about 3 years with no problems. Freeware and runs on Windows.

http://forum.snitz.com/

I'm quite optimistic that I'm going to be depressed later.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

AbMagFab is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 07:11 PM
AbMagFab
I love my HD Tivo!!

Well, that was easy enough. Thanks again for the advice! I remote-desktop'd into my machine and installed it in about 20 minutes after my post above. Now just tweaking it.

Thanks again!

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Fustanella is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:49 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Fustanella Find more posts by Fustanella Add Fustanella to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Fustanella
Homo sapiens tivus

I run vBulletin (as seen on TC, but the newer hip version 3) but would go with phpBB if price were a concern.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tj is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 11:57 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for tj Find more posts by tj Add tj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tj
Just a kid

I run an Invision Power Board, and I love it. Unless if they changed something in the last few months, it's free for non-commercial use, even though you might need to poke around a tiny bit to find the free download. Installation is easy, it's all very customizable, skins are easy to make, it's got all the features you were looking for. It's also got a really nice front-page news script built in.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged