TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Which of these do you like best? <<<
Which duplex do you like the most?
This poll is closed.
Link1 2 6.90%
Link2 10 34.48%
Link3 3 10.34%
Link4 10 34.48%
Link5 4 13.79%
Total: 22 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
transpizzle is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 02:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for transpizzle Find more posts by transpizzle Add transpizzle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
transpizzle
Still lickin'...

Which of these do you like best?

When I get out of school, I hope to build a duplex, live in one side and rent the other out. Then, after about 5-7 years, move out, rent out the other side and then build my own house, and possibly build 2-3 more duplexes to rent depending on how the first one goes.

I think the following duplexes are quite nice. Which would you rather live in? You can pick more than 1, but please limit to two choices.

Link 1: http://details.coolhouseplans.com/d...=chp2#elevation

Link 2: http://details.coolhouseplans.com/d...=chp2#elevation

Link 3: http://details.coolhouseplans.com/d...dID=35&sid=chp2

Link 4: http://details.coolhouseplans.com/d...dID=36&sid=chp2

Link 5: http://details.coolhouseplans.com/d...=chp2#elevation

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

davsherm is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 02:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for davsherm Find more posts by davsherm Add davsherm to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
davsherm
Now w/o HD Tivo :(

I like #3, I think it is the most stylish. BTW I think this is an excellent plan for someone getting started. It is like owning your own business. A friend of mine and his brother did this when they got out of college. Today they both own two other duplex houses (plus the shared one) and each has their own house. The rent on the duplexes pays all of the mortgages, including the ones on their personal houses.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

transpizzle is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 02:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for transpizzle Find more posts by transpizzle Add transpizzle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
transpizzle
Still lickin'...

That's what I'm hoping I will be able to do. Thanks for the input! The market where I'm looking to do this is also booming. I'm hoping to buy some land soon because by the time I get out of school it'll be way up.

Last edited by transpizzle on 06-27-2004 at 02:36 AM

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Maui is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 02:40 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Maui Find more posts by Maui Add Maui to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maui
The Eternal Newbie

While I think #3 is the most stylish I like #2 and #4 better.

Why?

The garages act as buffer zones. In the other three designs all look like there are shared walls in the living spaces.

Between #2 and #4 It is a tough call. I think I like #2's floorplan better while I think #4's exterior looks nicer.

I wound up voting for 2 based on the floorplan

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

transpizzle is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 02:50 AM
transpizzle
Still lickin'...

#2 and #5 are my favs by the way. Would sharing wall space be a huge problem? I have no knowledge of how these things are built. Would it be like 2 walls sharing in a single home? Or would there be a thicker wall between them?

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

maggie2101 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 04:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for maggie2101 Find more posts by maggie2101 Add maggie2101 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
maggie2101

I like #2 and #5 also. If I were going to live in one I think I would choose #2 because of the garages separating the two living areas.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Maui is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 04:03 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Maui Find more posts by Maui Add Maui to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Maui
The Eternal Newbie

To be honest I do not know what they are like. I just seems to me that only having 1 wall separate you and your neighbor is more likely to result in noises from one side bleeding over to the other side.

I've never lived in an apartment or a duplex in my life though so I could be wrong.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mars Rocket is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 04:31 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mars Rocket Find more posts by Mars Rocket Add Mars Rocket to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mars Rocket
I want ice cream!

When I was a Freshman in college I lived in a duplex with a shared wall between my bedroom and the neighbors. I never noticed any noise coming through the wall.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dansee is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 04:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dansee Find more posts by dansee Add dansee to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dansee
Merrily Unrepentant

I like the floor plan of #2 over the rest of them. Not as fancy on the outside, but the inside is very functional.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

old7 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 05:06 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for old7 Find more posts by old7 Add old7 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
old7
Advanced Member

I did exactly what you want to do, almost 20 years ago. Today I have 22 properties over 60 units. Some residential and some commercial.

Looking at floor plans can help, but you will really need to select a lot before you choose the floor plan. There are many factors that lot shape and size can affect. Also you may be limited by zoning laws.

Good luck,

Old7

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MarkofT is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for MarkofT Find more posts by MarkofT Add MarkofT to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MarkofT

I voted for plan 4 due to the use of the garages separating the two units. I also liked the little courtyard area in the back. Nice place to hide the AC units, service entrances, perhaps a pocket garden or even a hot tub.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

sjp is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 11:43 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for sjp Find more posts by sjp Add sjp to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
sjp
Advanced Member

we're connected to neighbours on both sides and have never heard a thing from either... the only noise heard by one of my neighbours wasn't actually noise it was vibration from my subwoofer.

our (UK) walls are 2 x plasterboard, approx 5" studs (metric equivalent of course) with a 2 layer plaster board core then the studs and the plasterboard on the other side.

noise just ain't getting through that lot.

stuart

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

LiveBlues is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 12:47 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for LiveBlues Find more posts by LiveBlues Add LiveBlues to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
LiveBlues
Master Blaster

I voted 3 and 2 (in that order). The comment above about common walls is important though. I bought half of a duplex a couple of years ago. The only common wall is between the garages. Depending on your strategies, having them classified (zoned?) as townhouses rather than duplexes might make it easier down the road if you decide to sell them off seperately.

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Haps is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 05:54 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Haps Find more posts by Haps Add Haps to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Haps
eh?

Immediately the 2 with the garage in the middle stood out as obvious choices. However finding lots to build it on might be a problem because of the width.

I have been in some newer duplexes that usually have a block wall seperating each unti. You never really here sound. But I would still go for the garage buffer. The other thing it does is spreads out the backyards a bit more and would make people feel more comfortable. The perception of privacy will sell the place.

I'm not a gambling man but if you had #2 and #5 right beside each other selling/renting for the same amount #2 would out rent #5 10 to 1.

And I would agree with another poster #2 has the better floorplan but not as nice outside as #4.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

faerie is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 10:32 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for faerie Find more posts by faerie Add faerie to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
faerie
faerielicious!

I think I like # 2 and #4 best because of the shared wall being garage. That's a huge asset.

A lot of people don't like 2 story houses because they don't want to be climbing stairs all the time, but I happen to like #5 as well, just not as much as #2 and #4.

Good luck! It sounds like a great plan, I hope it works out for you!

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged