TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
>>> Time Warner Digital Cable & TiVo (Newbie) <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
jmatkowski is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 06:12 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for jmatkowski Find more posts by jmatkowski Add jmatkowski to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
jmatkowski

Time Warner Digital Cable & TiVo (Newbie)

Hello,

I am soooo new it's not even funny.... I just got my Bachelor's degree in (of all things) Information Technolgy but I am perplexed by TiVo.... I got it (Series 2 80 hr) as a graduation gift and it has a lifetime subscription but I cannot hook it up to Time Warner's digital cable box and still watch digital cable (if TiVo decides to record something).... I wanted to get another digital cable box so TiVo can do what it wants and I can still watch what I want but Time Warner says I cannot BUY another digital cable box but can rent one for $9.99/month.... this is ridiculous.... Is it possible to buy a digital cable box and devote it to my TiVo that will work on Time Warner's network here in San Diego? Customer service told me it would not because the MAC address has to be registered in their network (yada yada yada) and that might be true... but it could be B.S. also... as they would rather sell me their own DVR system..... I see cable boxes like mine (Pioneer) for sale on eBay.... will this work on my cable system just like the one I already pay for? Please help.... I don't want to compromise my life just because TiVo has moved into my home Can you tell, I never asked for this?

Regards,

----- Joe M.

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

skanter is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 08:38 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for skanter Find more posts by skanter Add skanter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skanter
TiVo Forum Special Member

You can split your cable so that one goes to the cable box and another to your TV, and watch basic channels while Tivo is recording. If you want to have access to all channels you need to rent two cable boxes. AFAIK, you cannot legally buy a cable box as this would circumvent TW's fee for their service.

unknown

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

tidertoo is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for tidertoo Find more posts by tidertoo Add tidertoo to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
tidertoo

I recently dumped Dish & went back to cable because of the price. I did the above hook-up with SA 2 80 hour and it works fine. The separate hook ups gave me a better picture; I connected my combo DCD/VCR to the second splitter by S-Video cable and AV cables.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

classicsat is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for classicsat Find more posts by classicsat Add classicsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
classicsat
Astute User

Likely not.

Besides, they woill probably bill you the same as if you rented the second box, as their billing computer probably doesn't have options to account for the econimics of customer owned access devices

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ccwf is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ccwf Visit ccwf's homepage! Find more posts by ccwf Add ccwf to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ccwf
Good holiday spirit!

quote:
Originally posted by skanter
AFAIK, you cannot legally buy a cable box as this would circumvent TW's fee for their service.
I believe cable companies are required to allow you to use your own box. However, until CableCARD is available, most boxes by default will just let you receive unscrambled, analog channels, which your TiVo and TV can already tune anyways.

TiVo Help Forumsfeatured member
TC-Con '05, June 13
中日韓 Chinese/Japanese/Korean Dramas board admin

Tristana Moore, BBC News: Arts promoter Christof Blaesius wants to rebuild the [Berlin] wall and have it decorated by artists from around the world. The idea is proving controversial.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged