TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Dolby Pro Logic <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
csyria is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 11:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for csyria Visit csyria's homepage! Find more posts by csyria Add csyria to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csyria
200 posts down...

Dolby Pro Logic

One question: Is there any way to know that my receiver is actually decoding Pro Logic?

I can hear light noise usually and sometimes it comes up louder. Does that prove it?

Also, do all the Pro Logics just go over RCA L/R cables?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

rlj5242 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 06:27 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for rlj5242 Find more posts by rlj5242 Add rlj5242 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
rlj5242
Advanced Member

quote:
Also, do all the Pro Logics just go over RCA L/R cables?
That's the minimum requirement. You can get Pro Logic via optical to digital coax also. The connection method isn't important, it's the encoding that is.

quote:
Is there any way to know that my receiver is actually decoding Pro Logic?
First, does it have the Pro Logic logo on it? My old Pioneer had an inidcator light when I switched it into Pro Logic mode. If the source material wasn't encoded properly, then it just came through in stereo.

quote:
I can hear light noise usually and sometimes it comes up louder. Does that prove it?
Not sure about that. Have you calibrated your system? An SPL meter from Radio Shack is probably the best investment in setting up a surround sound system. It ensures that all of your speakers play at the same level.

-Robert

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 07:17 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

I don't see how a receiver could detect that a signal was Dolby Surround encoded. Pro Logic is not a separate encoding, just an improvement on the decoding side.

Many people make the mistake of assuming that they should be able to distinctly hear the surround material, and try to raise the volume to do so. That is incorrect.

If you want to check to see if your surround decoding is working, buy or borrow a test disk that has surround test tracks.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

SparkleMotion is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:19 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for SparkleMotion Find more posts by SparkleMotion Add SparkleMotion to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
SparkleMotion
Passive Aggressive

The simplest version of Dolby Surround encoding (not to be confused with Dolby Digital or any real "discrete" type of encoding) is to put phase-inverted audio to the rear, mono audio in the center and the left/right audio in the left/right speakers.

It's all we had for a few years, but it's ultimately a really cheesy version of "surround sound".

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Avian is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:26 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Avian Visit Avian's homepage! Find more posts by Avian Add Avian to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Avian
Tired and Unhappy

Pro Logic II can be very impressive, my stereo does it, and I always have it on while watching TV or playing Gamecube. It improves the TV watching experience by putting background noise behind and the important stuff to the front.

Blog

I wonder how we change if we can in this land
I wonder how many mountains we'd move if we band together
Us priveleged Americans
I wonder what we'd change in this land cause we can
Even with western centricity this rampant
Us ugly Americans

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

csyria is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 01:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for csyria Visit csyria's homepage! Find more posts by csyria Add csyria to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csyria
200 posts down...

I know it's doing Pro Logic. Indicator light.

No PL2, though.

Thanks for the description. So, important stuff in center, effects and music in L/R, and background or maybe actual audio in back, right?

It's better than just watching cable on a stereo TV, any way. I love how you can hear things moving in the surround audio streams.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JerryLBell is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:05 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JerryLBell Find more posts by JerryLBell Add JerryLBell to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JerryLBell

I've had 3 or 4 A/V receivers with basic ProLogic decoding capabilities and I've found that all of them would take standard stereo (no ProLogic encoding) sources, such as audio CDs, and try to decode them. The results with basic ProLogic are not impressive - you get most of the sound from the left and right front speakers blended into the front center channel and just a little added to the rear channels. ProLogic II is better but still leaves me rather un-impressed. If you want a stereo source to sound a bit more "lively", you can try the time delay settings that many A/V receivers have (though they're called different things by different vendors). They synthesize the faint echoes you get off the side and rear walls in different environments and can make a stereo source seem a bit more three-dimensional. Of course, if they're over done, they can make the source sound like one of those nasty "reverb" boxes they had back in the 70s.

Your best bet with surround sound is, of course, to have a multi-channel source (Dolby Digital, DTS, multi-channel DVD Audio or multi-channel SACD) and pass it through an appropriate decoder out to surround speakers.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged