TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> Trouble with 2nd tuner & new triple-LNB dish <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
DWallach is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:03 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for DWallach Visit DWallach's homepage! Find more posts by DWallach Add DWallach to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DWallach

Trouble with 2nd tuner & new triple-LNB dish

I just upgraded yesterday from a dual-LNB oval dish to the triple-LNB dish in anticipation of my HD-TiVo that (hopefully) is soon to arrive. Right now, I've got a Philips DSR6000. The installer replaced the old dish with the new one and everything seemed to work fine, so he took off. This morning, I tried using both tuners, and it appeared that the second tuner wasn't working. I'd always get a black screen.

After spending 90 minutes (!) on the phone with the DirecTV tech support, and getting nowhere, I thought somebody here might know more than the tech support guy.

When you do the guided setup, you clearly see similar signal strength on both Sat In 1 and Sat In 2 (plus or minus two) for each transponder on all three satellites. Then, when you hit "okay", it says that Sat In 1 is just fine, but Sat In 2 can't get the signal. Also interestingly, when it says "Multiswitch", it starts saying "4-Port" and quickly replaces it with "DiSEqC". The DirecTV tech said he'd never seen anything like this before, but a quick Google search says that it's just a standard model code for a multiswitch.

The best thing the DirecTV tech could say is that the dish and multiswitch seems to be fine (I have the dish wired directly to the TiVo with nothing in between), so therefore it must be a problem with my TiVo. Given that everything worked just fine with the previous dish, I'm tempted to think something's wrong with the dish.

Anybody else had similar problems? Is it worth making a stink, or would it be easier to just wait for the HD-TiVo to show up and take it from there?

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bakahump is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 12:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bakahump Find more posts by bakahump Add bakahump to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bakahump

Just went through this myself...basically.

Let me guess the new triple LNB only has 2 wires from the Sat to the Multi Switch.

You also have more then 2 recievers (Like in my case I had a tivo with 2 recievers and a standalone unit for a third receiver for a total of 3).

You need to remover the multiswitch and run a 3rd line from the triple LNB. Problem will go away.

I did this.....barrel connected the 3 cables from the dish to the 3 cables to my receivers and everything has been fine.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DWallach is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:22 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DWallach Visit DWallach's homepage! Find more posts by DWallach Add DWallach to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DWallach

Actually, it's just one tuner. Two wires from the dish go straight down to the two wires into the Tivo. Nothing else at all.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrEvil is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrEvil Find more posts by DrEvil Add DrEvil to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrEvil
Evil Member

Switch the cables at the DirecTiVo and see if the problem switches to the Sat 1 input then you can rule out the receiver.

If it's the same cabling then I would suspect the connection at the multiswitch on the dish. Try moving the cables to the other two outputs on the multiswitch one at a time and see if the problem continues.

HDVR2 - unmodified - for now! (Unsubscribed backup receiver)
HDVR2 - unmodified - for now!
SVR-2000 - 298Hrs basic 81Hrs best Two 120Gb 5400rpm Western Digital WD1200AB Drives (Unsubscribed)

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DWallach is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:31 PM
DWallach

Good ideas. I'll try tonight.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged