TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
>>> 2 TiVo's - wired + wireless?! <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cwoody222 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:28 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwoody222 Find more posts by cwoody222 Add cwoody222 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwoody222
TiVo Forum Special Member

2 TiVo's - wired + wireless?!

I just found out my dad finally broke down and bought a second TiVo due to the new monthly pricing scheme. He's not interested in HMO but I'm trying to convince him to use show sharing since HMO is free now.

But, he currently uses dialup so getting him to switch to a network is a pain (he does already have broadband).

To keep things simple I'm thinking about keeping 1 wired and 1 wireless. The living room unit currently has a phone line that we can swap for Ethernet no problem.

The bedroom unit I'd like to do wirelessly.

I'm thinking about having him buy this combo package:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...2062486-5376034

Would that do everything I want all by itself? (except for the wired USB adapter for the wired one)

Linksys seems a bit more expensive (just a bit) but since TiVo recommends it, and I don't know much about wireless stuff (so I don't want to be troubleshooting) I think that's the way to go.

That router will do wired and wireless, right? The USB adapter comes with a small USB cable too, I hope.

Will he get OK speeds with the b network when sharing shows? Should I get g instead? (obviously it will be better but I mean is it work the extra cost or should I just go with this simple all-in-one, TiVo-approved system)

"whenever cwoody222 comes in and comments, it makes everything very clear" - drewman
"cwoody222 is so right-on it isn't funny" - esperantisto

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ThreeSoFar is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 09:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ThreeSoFar Find more posts by ThreeSoFar Add ThreeSoFar to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ThreeSoFar
FourNowActually

g don't work with current drivers on the TiVo, IIRC.

Wireless will suck for MRV or photos or music. Not real time, except at maybe Basic. There are threads with lots of detail and comparisons done on this.

Wireless is fine for guide data and remote scheduling.

Four TiVos now, all with single Samsung drives:
Humax DRT800 w/DVD-R (174hrs)
Two older Series 2's (142hrs and 157hrs),and a newer nightlight
Series 2, a stupid case design IMO (174hrs)
All but the last are lifetimed. TiVite since 2000. There is a Good IR solution.

Got Vonage 4/9/03--need a referral credit?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CrispyCritter is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 10:07 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for CrispyCritter Find more posts by CrispyCritter Add CrispyCritter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Re: 2 TiVo's - wired + wireless?!

quote:
Originally posted by cwoody222
I'm thinking about having him buy this combo package:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...2062486-5376034

Would that do everything I want all by itself? (except for the wired USB adapter for the wired one)

That router will do wired and wireless, right? The USB adapter comes with a small USB cable too, I hope.

Will he get OK speeds with the b network when sharing shows? Should I get g instead? (obviously it will be better but I mean is it work the extra cost or should I just go with this simple all-in-one, TiVo-approved system)

Hardware looks good, price is reasonable. It has everything you need. USB adapters come with short cables.

I had two wireless and one wired TiVo for a while. There was definitely an ordering of

1. transfers between two wireless were slowest.
  2. transfer between a wireless and a wired were noticeably faster (not quite real time on High quality)
  3. transfer between two wired still faster (all 3 are wired now). Not quite real time on Best quality recordings.
I never had any problems with music or photos with any of the setups.

I wouldn't go the "g" route yet; it might be reasonable once TiVo officially supports it, but in the meantime you'll have to piece together a setup that may or may not have problems and may or may not have reasonably improved speed. Since it's for a non-expert, I'd stick with "b", unless you're over there every day in any case!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwoody222 is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 10:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cwoody222 Find more posts by cwoody222 Add cwoody222 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cwoody222

How exactly does MRV work? Does it copy the show to the other unit? Or just stream it?

How long would my parents have to "wait" until they could start watching, say, an hour long show (recorded in Best or High) before being able to sit down to watch it uninterrupted?

What happens when the streaming show finishes? Does it go away or does it stay there waiting for them? (ie: could they queue up a show in the early evening and then watch it a few hours later in the bedroom?) What happens if the TiVo that's receiving the shows starts to do something else - like recording another show?

"whenever cwoody222 comes in and comments, it makes everything very clear" - drewman

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ellinj is offline Old Post 06-27-2004 11:22 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for ellinj Find more posts by ellinj Add ellinj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellinj

The show is actually copied from one tivo to another. When the transfer is done it exists on both tivos. Using High Quality and wireless at both ends it takes about an 1.25 hrs to transfer a .5hr program for me. If I plan to use MRV I try and plan ahead what I will need transferred. For instance If I know I want to watch something in bed on a particular night I will begin the transfer before I start dinner or even in the morning before I go to work. You can also queue up multiple programs to be transferred in succession. Sometime If I have a lot I want to transfer I'll just let it do 3-4 programs overnight.

Jeff

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CrispyCritter is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 01:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for CrispyCritter Find more posts by CrispyCritter Add CrispyCritter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

quote:
How exactly does MRV work? Does it copy the show to the other unit? Or just stream it?
Just expanding on ellinj's post: everything is copied; the original remains on the original TiVo.

quote:
How long would my parents have to "wait" until they could start watching, say, an hour long show (recorded in Best or High) before being able to sit down to watch it uninterrupted?
on High, I generally waited 10 minutes before viewing when I had the wired/wireless combo. But it depends on the number of commercials you want to skip!

quote:
What happens when the streaming show finishes? Does it go away or does it stay there waiting for them? (ie: could they queue up a show in the early evening and then watch it a few hours later in the bedroom?) What happens if the TiVo that's receiving the shows starts to do something else - like recording another show?
The show stays. You can start watching a show in the living room; pause it and copy it to the bedroom (copying just from the paused point), get ready for bed and then watch the rest of the show in the bedroom.

The HMO transfer is independent of any recording. On one TiVo at one time I've had going: an HMO transmission to TiVo 2, an HMO reception from TiVo 2, a scheduled recording, while listening to Music via HMO! Impressive.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwoody222 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:12 PM
cwoody222

Thanks for the info. Sounds like MRV will work OK with wired and wireless for my parents. They don't need real time. Queueing it up and then watching it in an hour or more would work just fine.

Thanks!

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bigg is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:52 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bigg Find more posts by Bigg Add Bigg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigg
Advanced Member

Isn't it easier just to record it on the right TiVo in the first place? MRV has a long way to go before it is usefull...

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

CrispyCritter is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:24 PM
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

quote:
Originally posted by Bigg
Isn't it easier just to record it on the right TiVo in the first place? MRV has a long way to go before it is usefull...
Not really. For instance, one of our TiVo's is down in the basement, used by my wife and I for watching TV while exercising, and by our son at almost any other hour of the day (or so it seems!). We get our choice of shows from our two TiVo's via MRV, without interfering with our son's recordings. TiVo with HMO is not only TV we want when we want it, but also where we want it. Free choice is nice!

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

cwoody222 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:36 PM
cwoody222

Mostly it will be used for my mom's soap opera. She watches it when she gets home from work but she's sent to the bedroom to watch it if my dad is watching something in the living room.

But sometime's he's not so she can watch it there.

This way they'll be able to record it wherever it's most likely to be watched... but still have the option to watch it elsewhere.

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Crrink is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 11:24 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Crrink Find more posts by Crrink Add Crrink to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Crrink

quote:

I thought the same thing until I hardwired my TiVo's. This makes them almost as good as the true random access that the ReplayTV guy's have on their multiple units.
I really, really wish TiVo would get support for 802.11g rolled out quickly - I think that would improve customer satisfaction with MRV tremendously.....once they get over the need to buy a new adapter, that is.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

geoman47 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for geoman47 Find more posts by geoman47 Add geoman47 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
geoman47

quote:
Originally posted by CrispyCritter
The show stays. You can start watching a show in the living room; pause it and copy it to the bedroom (copying just from the paused point), get ready for bed and then watch the rest of the show in the bedroom.
Being relatively new to MRV (only using it for 2 weeks), how do you do this? I’ve copied shows from TiVo 1 to TiVo 2 before, but only by ‘browsing’ TiVo 1 from TiVo 2 and then saying ‘Watch on this TV (TiVo 2). What you are describing sounds like you can say send unwatched portion to TiVo 2 from TiVo 1.

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 01:23 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

When you pause a program on TiVo 1, you get an extra option when you go to transfer that same program from from TiVo 1 to TiVo 2 -- the option is to begin watching from the point at which the program was paused.

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bigg is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:34 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Bigg Find more posts by Bigg Add Bigg to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Bigg
Advanced Member

quote:
Mostly it will be used for my mom's soap opera. She watches it when she gets home from work but she's sent to the bedroom to watch it if my dad is watching something in the living room.

But sometime's he's not so she can watch it there.

This way they'll be able to record it wherever it's most likely to be watched... but still have the option to watch it elsewhere.

mirroring the season pass should be a lot easier.

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ufo4sale is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 05:24 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ufo4sale Find more posts by ufo4sale Add ufo4sale to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ufo4sale

quote:
mirroring the season pass should be a lot easier.

No, Cooperative scheduling would be easier but it doesn't exists.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

geoman47 is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:50 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for geoman47 Find more posts by geoman47 Add geoman47 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
geoman47

quote:
Originally posted by bedelman
When you pause a program on TiVo 1, you get an extra option when you go to transfer that same program from from TiVo 1 to TiVo 2 -- the option is to begin watching from the point at which the program was paused.
Thanks… I tried it out last night.

I guess I was hoping there was a ‘push’ (telling TiVo 1 to send the show to TiVo 2) feature that I didn’t know about rather than just a ‘pull’ (having TiVo 2 fetch a show from TiVo 1) feature. But pulling from the paused location is better than pulling the entire show if you want to watch it that night.

Funny thing about stuff like MRV is, once you get it, you’re always ready for the next enhancement. After just a few weeks using MRV, I’m starting to see a need for cooperative scheduling or being able to delete shows from any TiVo, etc.

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Bigg is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 07:05 PM
Bigg
Advanced Member

quote:
Originally posted by ufo4sale
No, Cooperative scheduling would be easier but it doesn't exists.

RTVs and computer DVRs do this, and people who really need these features can switch over to those solutions. yes, MRV would be a really cool if streaming and cooperative scheduling were put into use. USB2 would be nice too, as then it could all happen @ 100mb/s.

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged