TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Off Topic Areas (Non-TiVo) > Happy Hour - General Chit-Chat
>>> Drunk Driving <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Animgif is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 01:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Animgif Visit Animgif's homepage! Find more posts by Animgif Add Animgif to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Animgif
Law Stud[ent]

Drunk Driving

This is not a plea for sympathy at all...but rather just a repost of my blog entry for everyone to think about the next time you get behind the wheel after drinking:

In an all too sobering reminder that it is NEVER a good idea to drink and drive, a friend and neighbor of mine from East Texas, and one of my brothers best friends for his entire childhood, was killed in a single-car accident this morning. The initial report is that alcohol and excessive speeds were involved in her fatal wreck. One even more horrible thing is that her car burst into flames and she was so badly burnt that her family will not even get a viewing of the body. Luckily, they are saying that she died on impact and didn't suffer, but who really knows. The autopsy report is due back Tuesday. My brother is devastated, and I do have to say that I have been doing quite a bit of hard thought myself today. My father has been with her mother and sister today and says that they're doing about as well as can be expected. So, to anyone who would even THINK of driving drunk...please don't! This CAN happen to you. Today you can add me to the ranks of MILLIONS who have been affected by someone driving drunk and its fatal consequences.

Animgif is a true car geek - jojo
"If I met myself I'd probably become homosexual." - Bryanmc
"I can't answer that, because some self-proclaimed bigot in Texas thinks I should be ashamed of my family." - Medieval Guy
Chase is in my timezone.. Heck, he's in the same state.. He's more MY homo than yours, so :p - jsmeeker fighting with whoknows55 over me!

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kylep is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 01:46 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kylep Visit Kylep's homepage! Find more posts by Kylep Add Kylep to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kylep
Doomed! (DOOMED!)

Sorry to hear that bud.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Skittles is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 01:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Skittles Find more posts by Skittles Add Skittles to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Skittles
Scramble! Left!

That's just horrible, Chase. Please know that my sympathies and prayers are with you (even if you didn't plea for them), and I'm here if you need someone to talk to.

Come voice your opinion on hotel selection.. it's important, and it matters!

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Hippster is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 01:49 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Hippster Find more posts by Hippster Add Hippster to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Hippster
TC-Con'05 is Coming!

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

nachonaco is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 01:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for nachonaco Visit nachonaco's homepage! Find more posts by nachonaco Add nachonaco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
nachonaco
Evil Teen Genius

"Naco, you ARE evil!"-VTechDave
"Nacho is the quickest SOAK in the world."-heyitscory

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

gregpr is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 02:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for gregpr Find more posts by gregpr Add gregpr to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
gregpr
Tragically Unhip

Join us in Las Vegas for TC-Con '05, June 13,2005!

*5130*

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

justapixel is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 02:02 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for justapixel Find more posts by justapixel Add justapixel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
justapixel
TiVo Mama

I'm sorry for her family and friends, they must be experiencing extreme pain at this senseless death.

Thank goodness she hurt nobody else - maybe they can take some small comfort in that? I can't imagine going through the pain of losing a family member, AND knowing they also caused the deaths of innocents.

I'm eclectic.

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Animgif is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 02:28 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Animgif Visit Animgif's homepage! Find more posts by Animgif Add Animgif to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Animgif
Law Stud[ent]

quote:
Originally posted by justapixel
I'm sorry for her family and friends, they must be experiencing extreme pain at this senseless death.

Thank goodness she hurt nobody else - maybe they can take some small comfort in that? I can't imagine going through the pain of losing a family member, AND knowing they also caused the deaths of innocents.

And this is one thing that I am CERTAINLY grateful for. I would never tell her family this, but I am SO glad that no one else was injured.

"I can't answer that, because some self-proclaimed bigot in Texas thinks I should be ashamed of my family." - Medieval Guy
Chase is in my timezone.. Heck, he's in the same state.. He's more MY homo than yours, so :p - jsmeeker fighting with whoknows55 over me!

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

betativoII is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for betativoII Find more posts by betativoII Add betativoII to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
betativoII
Mrs. Markthenewf!!

I'm sorry to hear this Chase. I cringe whenever I hear of incidents like this on the news.

Not many people know this about me, but in 1996, I was pulled over for DD. I was living in East Texas at the time, out of college, but still living in the college town.

Getting caught was the best thing that ever happened to me. I was definitely scared straight. After spending the night in jail, I got a lawyer and pled down to public intoxication. I never had to go to court, but did have to pay legal fees and fines. As a young person just starting out in life and on a meager salary, it was enough to put me into debt that took me years to get out of.

Trust me, I am NOT asking anyone to feel sorry for me. I truly am thankful I got caught. The number I blew at the jail that night was just .01 over the limit. But to this day I still feel guilty about all of the times (and there were MANY) I was out driving around blasted, and never got caught. I am incredibly, incredibly lucky that no one was ever hurt or killed.

That's the point when I said, "I'm NOT in college anymore, I need to grow up." I soon moved to the next town, just to get out of the college scene.

That was probably THE defining moment in my life.

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:35 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raj Visit Raj's homepage! Find more posts by Raj Add Raj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

My sympathies, Chase.

As a rule I never get behind the wheel after alcohol, even after having just one beer or other alcoholic drink.

In memory of Ed Hopper -- 5130 --

I'm noticing more and more how my life is beginning to mirror Raj's....YIKES!! --disco

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo
1x35hr Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV DVR powered by TiVo

Last edited by Raj on 06-28-2004 at 08:48 AM

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Francesco is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Francesco Visit Francesco's homepage! Find more posts by Francesco Add Francesco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Francesco

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona

I'm not against drinking.

There, that's said.

Some of you might remember that I've revealed here that I'm a convicted drunk driver. It was a long time ago, but seems like yesterday. It's a sobering experience. I take some pride in the fact that by having learned my lesson, there is one less idiot drunk behind the wheel today. I'm a willing "designated driver" almost every night out, and ask no praise or thanks in return. It's my duty.

I'm very sorry to hear of this bad outcome. The only good is the lessons it may teach to those who continue to indulge without thinking of the consequences.

Regards,

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

YCantAngieRead is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for YCantAngieRead Find more posts by YCantAngieRead Add YCantAngieRead to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
YCantAngieRead
1974 was much better

I think a very large number of very good people make mistakes-my roommate did as well. But the point that makes you differ from others is when you really make it change your future actions, and I applaud anyone who's done that.

Some, unfortunately, aren't as lucky to get a second chance. And they will always be a sad reminder to others how fragile life is.

Thoughts to the loved ones of those who died, Animgif. And thanks for the reminder.

"So what you're saying is take off the balls, it don't work, right? " - Mythbusters

POST #12 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Graymalkin is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Graymalkin Find more posts by Graymalkin Add Graymalkin to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Graymalkin
Half-Wit Pundit

Sorry to hear about your friend, Animgif. I lost two friends with whom I had been in grade school, Boy Scouts, and high school when they died in a high-speed auto crash. (Drugs other than alcohol were responsible.) This was back in the 1970s. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like things have changed since then.

I know it's been said, many times, many ways, but you're the man, Gray! -- Thaed
Yes, Gray is one hell of a guy. -- Mavenelle

POST #13 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dswallow is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:21 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dswallow Visit dswallow's homepage! Find more posts by dswallow Add dswallow to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dswallow
+258PC

My sympathies, too, Chase. But considering this is all based on some initial report and an autopsy is due on Tuesday, don't you think that this is possibly all premature? Wait till Tuesday before condemning her to all the drunk driver commentary.

TiVo Community Forum Member Posting Statistics (updated daily)
List your local digital television broadcast stations by direction/distance
AVSForum Local HDTV Info & Reception index by DMA/City

POST #14 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Animgif is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:42 AM
Animgif
Law Stud[ent]

quote:
Originally posted by dswallow
My sympathies, too, Chase. But considering this is all based on some initial report and an autopsy is due on Tuesday, don't you think that this is possibly all premature? Wait till Tuesday before condemning her to all the drunk driver commentary.

No, she was at a party and many there confirmed that she had been drinking excessively up until she left...I am 99.999999% sure she was well into drunk, if not beyond.

POST #15 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Francesco is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:47 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Francesco Visit Francesco's homepage! Find more posts by Francesco Add Francesco to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Francesco

Location: Maricopa County Maximum Security Correctional Facility For Men, State Farm Road Number 31, Tempe, Arizona

I know it too well. All the best in a hard time...

POST #16 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

murgatroyd is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for murgatroyd Find more posts by murgatroyd Add murgatroyd to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
murgatroyd
TiVo Forum Special Member

Very sorry for your loss.

Jan

POST #17 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged