TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> Directv Tivo Series 2? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Red70LeMans is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 02:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Red70LeMans Find more posts by Red70LeMans Add Red70LeMans to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Red70LeMans

Question Directv Tivo Series 2?

I have Directv service and would like to buy a Tivo, but I do not have a home phone line. I have a friend that has a Series 2 Tivo and has his on a wireless network. So the Series 2 Tivo would be perfect for me. Here is the problem though, everything I have heard from Directv about the their DVR says that they only sell the Series 1 Tivo and that it cannot use a wireless connetion (has to be hooked up to a phone line).

So here is the real question, does Driectv offer a series 2 tivo DVR? I would rather have a two tuner DVR system than a stand alone Tivo, but I have to have a series 2 Tivo.

Since the Series 2 has been out since October does anyone know when and if Directv will be offering it?

Thanks for the help

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

aepman is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 03:10 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for aepman Find more posts by aepman Add aepman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
aepman

The DIRECTV DVR's being sold today are series 2 TiVos, but the USB ports on them are not active. Having said that, however, you do not need to connect it to a phone line after the 1st initial call. The unit will get all its guide data from the satellite. You will just get a nag screen (once per day?) reminding you it has not connected in awhile.
BTW, Series 2 TiVos have been out much longer than just October.

Todd

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

wes000 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:11 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for wes000 Find more posts by wes000 Add wes000 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
wes000

I think that all the tivos that D* sends out now are Series 2. You can ask a customer rep @ D*. They could probably tell you if it's a series 2 but they wouldnt know what brand you would be getting. There all the same internally though so it really doesnt matter. The $99 tivo will have a 35 hr. recording time. 40 Gig. HD. D* will also bill you in 3/$33 payments if you would like. If your really concerned just go the store and buy exactly what you want.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gomer Pyle is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:33 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gomer Pyle Find more posts by Gomer Pyle Add Gomer Pyle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gomer Pyle

Buy it cheaper at SolisSignal and choose the unit you want. I have the Philips DSR704 - they are nice looking for silvr components.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

BGLeduc is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 05:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for BGLeduc Find more posts by BGLeduc Add BGLeduc to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
BGLeduc

quote:
The DIRECTV DVR's being sold today are series 2 TiVos,

In terms of features and functions, what differentiates a Series 1 and Series 2?

I have had a Sony SA Series 1 for the better part of 5 years, and just now bought a D*Tivo (Philips DSR 704). Other than the fact that it does not have a recording quality setting, I don't see too much difference, and in fact see no difference in terms of features and functions.

I know Series 2 has HMO available, and I thought I read that it had the ability to do folders, neither of which I seem to have on my new Philips.

So are the D*Tivo's really series 2, or is that strictly a function of SA Tivos?

BGL

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

csyria is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:00 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for csyria Visit csyria's homepage! Find more posts by csyria Add csyria to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csyria
200 posts down...

The DTiVos CAN do Folders and HMO, it's just DirecTV won't let them

If it has a USB port on the back, it's a S2.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

DrEvil is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:14 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for DrEvil Find more posts by DrEvil Add DrEvil to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
DrEvil
Evil Member

The series one DirecTiVo's (Sony SAT-T60, Phillips DSR6000, and Hughes GXCEBOT) have been out of production for a couple of years now.

All the current DirecTiVo (standard and High Def) models are based on the TiVo series two design with a faster processor and USB ports.

Unfortunately at this time DirecTV has not announced any plans to update the software from version 3 to version 4 like the standalone series two TiVo's have with all the added functionality of HMO, updates over a network, etc.

Functionality/speed wise there is no real difference between the series one and two DirecTiVo's. That would change if DirecTV does a software upgrade to the series two's though.

HDVR2 - unmodified - for now! (Unsubscribed backup receiver)
HDVR2 - unmodified - for now!
SVR-2000 - 298Hrs basic 81Hrs best Two 120Gb 5400rpm Western Digital WD1200AB Drives (Unsubscribed)

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Red70LeMans is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Red70LeMans Find more posts by Red70LeMans Add Red70LeMans to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Red70LeMans

Thumbs up

quote:
Originally posted by wes000
I think that all the tivos that D* sends out now are Series 2. You can ask a customer rep @ D*. They could probably tell you if it's a series 2 but they wouldnt know what brand you would be getting. There all the same internally though so it really doesnt matter. The $99 tivo will have a 35 hr. recording time. 40 Gig. HD. D* will also bill you in 3/$33 payments if you would like. If your really concerned just go the store and buy exactly what you want.

Great That pretty much answers what I needed to know. I had already planned on doing the first call at a friends place that has a phone line. I was confused about the guide and how the Tivo got it's info. Talking to directv and people at both Best Buy and Circuit City just confused me

Looks like I will be getting a Tivo this week, now on to the hacks

Thanks for all the responses

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged