TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > DIRECTV Receiver with TiVo
>>> DTivo not so smart after all? <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
JohnnyO is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:09 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyO Find more posts by JohnnyO Add JohnnyO to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnnyO
Crimper

DTivo not so smart after all?

I've now had my DTivo for 18 months. It certainly has changed the way we watch television.

Lately, it seems Tivo is distracted (perhaps by the springtime weather, and the hot looking new DVD player in the entertainment cabinet). I'm surprised that after a year, it isn't doing a better job of learning our likes and dislikes.

For example, last year I had a season pass to Monk. I had deleted the Season Pass after the season ended. When the new season rolled around I would have thought Tivo would have known that I had had a season pass in the past (or at least some indication that I had watched it repeatedly) and had decided on its own to record Monk.

Sigh.

Is anyone else's Tivo smarter than mine? Maybe it is still young...

John

Last edited by JohnnyO on 06-28-2004 at 04:21 AM

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Gomer Pyle is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Gomer Pyle Find more posts by Gomer Pyle Add Gomer Pyle to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Gomer Pyle

If you wanted Monk, why did you delete the season pass?

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

thumperxr69 is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 04:55 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for thumperxr69 Find more posts by thumperxr69 Add thumperxr69 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
thumperxr69

Gomer....I hope he was joking

T

ATI HD tuner card

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

csyria is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:01 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for csyria Visit csyria's homepage! Find more posts by csyria Add csyria to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
csyria
200 posts down...

Would it have had space to make a Monk Suggestion? Suggestions can never make room for theirselves by deleting something.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Raj is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 06:25 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Raj Visit Raj's homepage! Find more posts by Raj Add Raj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Raj
1.5kW of fun!

I believe someone here once said that you should use wishlists, not suggestions.

In memory of Ed Hopper -- 5130 --

I'm noticing more and more how my life is beginning to mirror Raj's....YIKES!! --disco

1x107hr Sony DirecTiVo
1x35hr Hughes HDVR2 DirecTV DVR powered by TiVo

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

btwyx is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:18 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for btwyx Find more posts by btwyx Add btwyx to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
btwyx
TiVo Forum Special Member

More to the point he shouldn't be deleting season passes and then expecting the season pass to still work. I didn't delete my Monk season pass, and its recording new ones quite happily.

I think there's a basic disconnect with the original poster, in that "Season Passes" don't apply to just one season, but all seasons.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnnyO is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 08:27 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for JohnnyO Find more posts by JohnnyO Add JohnnyO to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JohnnyO
Crimper

I fully understand that I could have kept my Season Pass to continue having Monk show up when the new season began.

It's just that I'm a little surprised that TiVo didn't choose to record it along with many of the other items it records every day. For example, TiVo seems to record The X-Files fairly regularly, even though I've never given it a thumbs up or down.

There is plenty of space for Tivo suggested items to show up.

I guess I'm just curious about the algorithm used to decide what gets recorded as a TiVo Suggestion.

John

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Mysteryman is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:08 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Mysteryman Find more posts by Mysteryman Add Mysteryman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Mysteryman
Mysterious!

quote:
Originally posted by JohnnyO
I fully understand that I could have kept my Season Pass to continue having Monk show up when the new season began.

It's just that I'm a little surprised that TiVo didn't choose to record it along with many of the other items it records every day. For example, TiVo seems to record The X-Files fairly regularly, even though I've never given it a thumbs up or down.

There is plenty of space for Tivo suggested items to show up.

I guess I'm just curious about the algorithm used to decide what gets recorded as a TiVo Suggestion.

John

If I was done watching a show for good, and tivo kept recording it I would be more upset.

The fact that the algorithm saw you didn't want the show should be a good thing.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JohnnyO is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:21 AM
JohnnyO
Crimper

quote:
Originally posted by Mysteryman
If I was done watching a show for good, and tivo kept recording it I would be more upset.

The fact that the algorithm saw you didn't want the show should be a good thing.

Hmm -- I hadn't thought of it that way, but now that I do -- you might be exactly right!

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged