TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
>>> Want to downgrade software version without losing recordings!!! <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
buxter is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:30 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for buxter Find more posts by buxter Add buxter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buxter

Angry Want to downgrade software version without losing recordings!!!

Hi, I have a Sony SVR 2000 with a 40 GB disk, and I bought a 160 GB disk from eBay. It had software version 1.3 and all of the manual recording functions worked, but I wanted to use all of the capacity of the new disk so I let it do its daily call (I don't have subscription by the way) to update the software version so it did and after it rebooted and everything I tried to record a show and it didn't work the "Service Message" appeared and it won't let me do anything. I haven't done any hacks or anything to it yet. But what good is 160 GB disk without even being able to record stuff manually? I was really happy with the manual recording function of 1.3 so I didn't need a subscription. The friday newspaper had the TV Guide in it so I knew what was on for the next week. And I could set up a manual recording. I already paid for the hardware and software by buying the TiVo, they should at least let me use it as a basic VCR.

Anywhay I just want to get back to 1.3 somehow while retaining my recordings, and I will just use the 137 GB's of the hard drive. I have a back up of 1.3 but without the recordings I downloaded it from the ftp site a while back, it took me 3 days with 56k, but I still have it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Petar

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

stevel is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 07:48 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for stevel Visit stevel's homepage! Find more posts by stevel Add stevel to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
stevel
Dumb Blond

Something is wrong - your SVR2000 should still let you do manual recordings with the newer software version. What version did it load?

Even with the latest version, you would still be limited to 137GB.

One thousand three hundred thirty-three, zero

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

classicsat is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:00 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for classicsat Find more posts by classicsat Add classicsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
classicsat
Astute User

Did your Tivo ever have 1.3 before? If so, maybe that is why you don't have manual recording.

No, what I'd try is to have the system boot from the alternate partition by altering the boot parameters from the factory configuration menu, or find the panic code to use the previous software version.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dsmdriver is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dsmdriver Find more posts by dsmdriver Add dsmdriver to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dsmdriver
Pressurized Nut

Any chance it incrementally updated to 2.0? That didn't allow manual recordings. I'd try and get it to dial in again and see if it updates.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

buxter is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 02:50 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for buxter Find more posts by buxter Add buxter to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
buxter

Yes, I had 1.3 and then it updated to 3.0-01-1-010. I wanted to upgrade the software version so I could install the lba48 enabled kernel.

No, it went from 1.3 right to 3.0 I haven't had 2.0 installed on it at all as far as I know. I plugged in the phone line just last night from a long long time. And the strange thing is that my recording time went up with 2 hours on the basic quallity...

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

dsmdriver is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 04:59 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for dsmdriver Find more posts by dsmdriver Add dsmdriver to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
dsmdriver
Pressurized Nut

Very strange. Any unit that came with 1.3 from the factory should allow manual recordings under 3.0 without any problem or sub required.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

buxter is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 06:21 AM
buxter

Ok, so what's causing it not to work?

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

classicsat is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 09:30 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for classicsat Find more posts by classicsat Add classicsat to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
classicsat
Astute User

My supposition is that the Sony originally came with 2.0 or greater (if the 40Gig drive was Sony stock, that would be a sure sign there), and the upgraded software knows how to check if the unit is one of the types that allows manual recording or not, in which case, by rights, you are not entitled to recording without subscription, and further discussion would be essentially theft of service.

PS: What is the manuf date on the Tivo, and what software is on the 40 Gig drive, and can it manually record without subscription.

POST #8 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

buxter is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:00 PM
buxter

No, my sony came with a messed up hard drive, so I bought a new Maxtor 40GB and put 1.3 image on it. Yeah so I just wanted to know how I can get back to 1.3 without losing my recordings, or is there a way to back them up (not extract) with MFS and then restore them to the new and fresh drive?

How do I do what classicsat suggested?

quote:
No, what I'd try is to have the system boot from the alternate partition by altering the boot parameters from the factory configuration menu, or find the panic code to use the previous software version.

I think I remember how to get to that menu, but what do I do there once I get to it?

PS: The manufactured date is 11-05-00, Right now there is 3.0 on the 40 Gig Hard Drive. And it can't manually record without subscription.

Last edited by buxter on 06-29-2004 at 11:07 PM

POST #9 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Robert S is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:08 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for Robert S Find more posts by Robert S Add Robert S to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Robert S
TiVo Forum Special Member

I'm fairly sure that classicsat's idea is not a good one due to changes in the DB format between the various versions.

Isn't there a script to set the 1.3 flag to permit recordings on later versions?

POST #10 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ADent is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 01:17 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ADent Find more posts by ADent Add ADent to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ADent
TiVo Forum Special Member

1) Ig the mfs formats are compatible (say you didn't record anyting since going, but I think even that may not be good) you should be able to restore an old image then hand copy the mfs partition over and cross your fingers.

2) There are extraction and insertion tools available elsewhere. Extract, then insert. But they don't really support v1.3, so I don't know if that will actually work.

3) Why not just pick up another unit? The HDR112's seems to run $40 to $60 on eBay.

POST #11 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged