TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
>>> Digital cable box w/o s-video <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
cynic is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 09:33 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for cynic Find more posts by cynic Add cynic to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
cynic

Digital cable box w/o s-video

I have a digital cable box from comcast that only has composite output. When I feed the composite through my Tivo into my plasma TV, it looks really really crapy. Can I feed composite into my Tivo from my cable box and have it output s-video to my plasma in order to get a clearer picture? Does anyone else have this problem with a way to solve it?

I read the following which may answer my question but I wasn't quite sure:
However, the likely answer to your question is that most A/V receivers do not convert between S-Video and composite. If you feed them S-Video inputs, then they output only S-Video.

Thanks in advance...

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

JPriller is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 10:15 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for JPriller Find more posts by JPriller Add JPriller to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
JPriller
just some guy

You can use any combination of input and output with a TiVo, composite video in and S-Video out should work fine.

That might not make your picture quality problem go away entirely, though, TiVos do degrade the picture somewhat with the A/D and D/A conversions every bit of video must go through, and the larger the TV the more noticable it becomes.

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

MsUnderstood is offline Old Post 06-28-2004 11:58 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for MsUnderstood Find more posts by MsUnderstood Add MsUnderstood to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
MsUnderstood

I have a toshiba TIVO and am using composite cables (the red/green/blue cables). In my case, I had to flip a switch on the back from I to P (interlaced to Progressive) for the picture to look good.

I don't know if other TIVO brands have this option or not.

Also, I removed any cable splitters which seemed to help dramatically with the picture.

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

bedelman is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:15 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for bedelman Visit bedelman's homepage! Find more posts by bedelman Add bedelman to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
bedelman
Call me Bob

The red/green/blue video output is for component video output (not composite -- which is just a single yellow connector).

Both the Toshiba and Pioneer DVD combination units have component video outputs

1 Pioneer DVR-810H
2 TiVo Series 2 80 hour (one living with son in college)
1 TiVo Series 2 140 hour
1 Humax DRT-800 DVD Recorder with TiVo
1 Sony SVR-2000 (living with other son in Michigan)

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

skaeight is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 12:42 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for skaeight Find more posts by skaeight Add skaeight to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
skaeight

quote:
Originally posted by MsUnderstood
I have a toshiba TIVO and am using composite cables (the red/green/blue cables). In my case, I had to flip a switch on the back from I to P (interlaced to Progressive) for the picture to look good.

I don't know if other TIVO brands have this option or not.

Also, I removed any cable splitters which seemed to help dramatically with the picture.

I've found that if you need to split the cable, an amplifier is a must. They can be picked up at radio shack for ~ $20. It will drastically improve the picture if you are using a cable splitter.

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged