TiVo Community Forum Archive 1
READ ONLY ARCHIVES

Welcome to the TiVo Community Forum Archive
This archive covers threads on TiVo Community Forum that have not been posted to from the start until June 30, 2004.  Any thread that has a post made to it between 7/1/04 and 12/31/05, that had not been posted to, will be found in Archive 2.
This is a READ ONLY site.

Search | ARCHIVE 2 | MAIN SITE

TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 : Powered by vBulletin version 2.2.8 TiVo Community Forum Archive 1 > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
>>> wireless tranfer for the novice <<<

Forum Jump:
Search this Thread:
Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread ---> Show Printable Version | Email this Page | Subscribe to this thread Post New Thread    Post A Reply
seymour is offline Old Post 06-29-2004 11:46 PM
Click Here to See the Profile for seymour Find more posts by seymour Add seymour to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seymour

wireless tranfer for the novice

Ok, I'm no techie so be gentle.
I only have one pc in my home. No need for Routers to connect computers, printers etc. I want to get 2nd tivo and hook them together Tivo 2 will be downstairs so I can't directly wire them. I understand I can just use USB wireless connectors. I've been reading the posts about transfer time but they all seem to relate to Network hookups that already exist and go thru routers.

What would transfer time be if I used wireless as described above.
Also If a show begins transfer about how long till you can begin watching it on tivo2 while transfer is progressing.

Thanks for any help and further education.
If I've posted twice, sorry I'm just learning the boards.

Sy Listman

POST #1 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kracko is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 01:19 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kracko Find more posts by Kracko Add Kracko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kracko

It's not the routers that are a problem as much as wireless connections, even though they may say they are 11megabit/sec (wireless B) or 54megabit/sec (wireless G) or faster (wireless super-G) all have issues with distance and walls (in your case ceilings and floors). The speed ratings of these devices are "the best you can hope to expect" with them. In the real world they seldom connect at these speeds and quite often vary in their speed. In addition 2.4Ghz cordless phones can interfere with their signal as can neighbor's wireless set up.

In addition, the port they plug into in the back of the TiVo can only send information at a maximum speed of 12megabits/sec.

As for transfer speeds, I can not answer that question. Mine are wired.

Running JavaHMO 1.2

POST #2 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

geoman47 is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 01:32 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for geoman47 Find more posts by geoman47 Add geoman47 to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
geoman47

If you want your TiVos to use your broadband connection, you have to get a router. From the sounds of your setup, you’ll need a wireless router. The router is what splits the connection to multiple users of the connection (1 PC and 2 TiVos in your case whether wired or wireless).

You’ll also need wireless adapters. I currently have 2 wireless adapters, and the speeds are not impressive. I record mostly on medium, so it takes about 1.5 hours to transfer a 30 minute show. If you want real time speeds for transfers, you really need at least 1 connection to be wired. I get about a 60% signal on both wireless adapters.

You can find wireless adapters and info about a wireless router at:

http://customersupport.tivo.com/tiv...lic/tv2006.htm?

POST #3 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ellinj is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 01:51 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ellinj Find more posts by ellinj Add ellinj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellinj
TiVo Forum Special Member

If you don't have a router and don't want to take advantage of using your internet connection for remote scheduling and guide data downloads you can setup a peer-peer wireless connection using two wireless adapaters. This doesn't require a router and may actually be slightly faster.

POST #4 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

seymour is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 02:26 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for seymour Find more posts by seymour Add seymour to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
seymour

Thanks for the replys. Jeff's answer seems to be the way I would go since I don't need ( or want to spend money on) a Router and all the extra adapters. I'm still a bit unclear though on speed issue. Can you give me a guestimate on the following?
Let's say My wife is watching tivo 2 upstairs. She says "hey Hon you should watch this on tivo 1 " How soon afer I begin download can I realistically start watching the show? Do I havta wait for the entire show to download?

Thanks.

Sy

POST #5 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

ellinj is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 03:04 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for ellinj Find more posts by ellinj Add ellinj to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
ellinj
TiVo Forum Special Member

It really depends on the quality level that the orignal program was recorded on. If it is on basic quality you can start watching immediately as the transfer will occur in close to real time. Anything higher then that will take signifigantly longer to transfer. You will want to wait until a good portion of the program is transferred before beginning the program.

POST #6 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

Kracko is offline Old Post 06-30-2004 03:07 AM
Click Here to See the Profile for Kracko Find more posts by Kracko Add Kracko to your buddy list Show Printable Version Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote
Kracko

quote:
Originally posted by seymour
Thanks for the replys. Jeff's answer seems to be the way I would go since I don't need ( or want to spend money on) a Router and all the extra adapters. I'm still a bit unclear though on speed issue. Can you give me a guestimate on the following?
Let's say My wife is watching tivo 2 upstairs. She says "hey Hon you should watch this on tivo 1 " How soon afer I begin download can I realistically start watching the show? Do I havta wait for the entire show to download?

Thanks.

Sy

You can start watching it within a few minutes. However, what would most likely happen is that as your watching it the show will pause and say that it's waiting to download more information. Also you will most likely not be able to skip commercials.

Running JavaHMO 1.2

POST #7 | Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged